Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:10 PM

480 posts, read 668,315 times

Advertisements

I'd like to ask a hot topic here:

Is there a particular socioeconomic class that sells the most for school fundraisers, like selling chocolate bunnies, wrapping paper, candy bars, etc?

Particular race? Economic level?

My feeling is that selling goods to raise money for schools is something that is more likely to be done by the lower income classes than by upper income classes. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
I think it depends on personality more than income level.

I'm a middle class white-collar professional, and in my office I constantly see order forms for GS cookies, Holiday candy, wrapping paper, etc., not to mention the raffle tickets. I've been on the selling end and the buying end. I'm also once again putting together a foursome from work to golf at our booster club's tournament.

The Hillary Clintons and Donald Trumps of the world probably simply buy out of the fundraisers, but lower to upper-middle probably participate.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Easy answer. Middle class people no matter their race. They're your volunteer base. A much larger percentage of poorer families as well as the wealthy families for some reason don't get involved for various reasons.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Agree with the answer middle class.

School fundraisers are raising funds for something. Usually an extracurricular of some sort. The lower socioeconomic class usually either has their thing funded by the government, or they just aren't going to do it. The upper socioeconomic class usually just pays a fee to participate. The middle class doesn't get the funds from the government, but wants to do whatever it is, but doesn't always have quite enough to not mind just paying the fee, so they raise funds. With a fundraiser.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Are you talking about socioeconomic classes within a school or school districts as a whole???

Our middle school is in a town in which the median income is about $120K, but the schools still hold fundraisers for various activities.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
When I go to the mall, the kiosks are staffed with young and aggressive sales people, usually of some non-US background. They sell like their lives depend on it, and they probably do. No wonder most of us vanilla-beans are being replaced. Got to get after it to be successful.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Middle class and upwards, although there are outliers. I actually belong to an education group that has studied this issue. The school also has to have a gung-ho head of the fundraising.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'd like to ask a hot topic here:

Is there a particular socioeconomic class that sells the most for school fundraisers, like selling chocolate bunnies, wrapping paper, candy bars, etc?

Particular race? Economic level?

My feeling is that selling goods to raise money for schools is something that is more likely to be done by the lower income classes than by upper income classes. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if this is the case.

I've actually studied this, and I can use my own family for a reference.

Here's the best answer - white, lower middle, working class and "middle middle"(not one notch up) class, upwardly mobile types who want their kids to go to college but probably did not attend themselves.

These are the same people, usually woman, who organize gift giving for the teacher on holidays and the rest of the year, rather that allowing each student's family to decide what, if anything, the teacher deserves.

They are hierarchical in nature. This is not "bad" or "good". It is just a quality of this social class. They show unearned respect for teachers. The position confers the respect. Not the quality of performance.

When my children were in elementary school and attempted to sell candy, greeting cards, Tee shirts, gift wrap to my father and is wife (upper middle class professionals) they just bought the stuff, wrote our a check and didn't want the goods. So they either made a donation to the school or told us to pick out what we wanted.

I'm glad those days are over.

But they are not Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

There are different personality traits that are found in certain classes of people. I think the question was a good one.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Here is a view from Toronto.

Forest Hill public school is in the middle of the most wealthy community in Toronto. The average cost of a house is north of 5 million CDN dollars......Last year, that elementary school raised $455. PER CHILD, for extra curricular activities.

By comparison, Parkdale Public School in the poorest neighbour hood in west Toronto... raised $11, PER CHILD.

I think that says it all, right there.

Jim B.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've actually studied this, and I can use my own family for a reference.

Here's the best answer - white, lower middle, working class and "middle middle"(not one notch up) class, upwardly mobile types who want their kids to go to college but probably did not attend themselves.

These are the same people, usually woman, who organize gift giving for the teacher on holidays and the rest of the year, rather that allowing each student's family to decide what, if anything, the teacher deserves.

They are hierarchical in nature. This is not "bad" or "good". It is just a quality of this social class. They show unearned respect for teachers. The position confers the respect. Not the quality of performance.

When my children were in elementary school and attempted to sell candy, greeting cards, Tee shirts, gift wrap to my father and is wife (upper middle class professionals) they just bought the stuff, wrote our a check and didn't want the goods. So they either made a donation to the school or told us to pick out what we wanted.

I'm glad those days are over.

But they are not Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

There are different personality traits that are found in certain classes of people. I think the question was a good one.
I have to disagree with you. In my district, which is large (~30K students now) the schools in the highest SES areas do the best at fundraising, with the caveats I stated earlier.

See this: PTA fundraising data shows massive gap between haves and have-nots - The New York WorldThe New York World

Here's something in my local area: http://co.chalkbeat.org/2016/01/06/d.../#.VunO6eZ0osI

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-16-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education