Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

I'd like another shot at it once I retire and have time on my hands. I'd think I would do a lot better this time as I may know a few tricks and even remember some of the test questions. Not necessarily starting in 1st grade as I wouldn't want any special accommodations such as an oversized desk but maybe 7th Grade would work. I could also act as a spy for the administration in case any of the trouble-makers were getting ready to do something like tee-pee the goal posts or do burns outs in the parking lot, tho in truth I'd probably veer more towards being one of the instigators as before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:55 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
Here's a lady who got back into the 9th grade as a 28-year-old.

Forever Young - NYTimes.com

31-year-old Graduates High School

Last edited by Zelpha; 03-18-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
This topic is humorous & interesting but has struck a chord with me because I understand how it feels to want a do-over of a pivotal part of life, sure to be able to do it better the 2nd time around.

Frankly if you want another shot at the academic part just for fun, you're probably welcome to pay to take a current GED test.

As for returning to the 7th grade, silly, schools are designed for the psycho-social development of children among peers in their own age group.

Adults who want to go back to middle school can visit libraries or get a tutor

Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Many people would think that a retired person who wanted to attend 7th grade was a pedophile.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Not necessarily a do-over, but I'd like to be able to go back and take some interesting classes among peers where there was no pressure on grades. Just a chance to learn and discuss topics from history to science among those who also want to learn. School was not about learning, just about passing. No one ever discussed anything. College was much better for intelligent discussion, but even there was a focus on deadlines, due dates, and grades.

Yes, I can go to the library or internet, but there are really few opportunities for intelligent discussion anywhere.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:55 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Our local school district has course designed for those who are 50+...they have courses on history, science, art, world languages, etc. Designed for those who have time and want discourse in a non-graded atmosphere. They start each spring and fall, and run about 9-11 weeks each, although some are one-time or shorter term meetings. Yours might have something similar.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Many people would think that a retired person who wanted to attend 7th grade was a pedophile.
oh, I hadn't considered that. while I applaud your honesty, I think perhaps you may consider some type of professional therapy before you act out on these urges. truth be known, I'm more interested in enacting Dodge-ball revenge for the beatings that Rusty McPherson inflicted on me.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Not necessarily a do-over, but I'd like to be able to go back and take some interesting classes among peers where there was no pressure on grades. Just a chance to learn and discuss topics from history to science among those who also want to learn. School was not about learning, just about passing. No one ever discussed anything. College was much better for intelligent discussion, but even there was a focus on deadlines, due dates, and grades.

Yes, I can go to the library or internet, but there are really few opportunities for intelligent discussion anywhere.
Many universities allow seniors to audit classes. One of the perks of getting old! Also, as said up a few posts, many school districts have adult ed classes, also community colleges.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
oh, I hadn't considered that. while I applaud your honesty, I think perhaps you may consider some type of professional therapy before you act out on these urges. truth be known, I'm more interested in enacting Dodge-ball revenge for the beatings that Rusty McPherson inflicted on me.
There's no dodge ball in 7th grade. There are however laws about how old you can be in public school and when you can attend. You've left do there's no going back, sorry.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Considering the OP's entries in this thread, 7th grade might be aiming too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education