Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 AM

33 posts, read 121,278 times

Advertisements

Thanks Smerkygirl....my thoughts the same. The hope "black atheiest liberatarian" is not a parent

Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyer77 View Post
Black Atheist libertarian: I realize the world doesn't revolve around me or my son. But, peanut butter is a food, it is not an unpredictable insect.
You're still dodging my point. A ban on peanuts and peanut products will not work. What if kids eat peanut butter before they come to school? What are you going to do then? Have school staff require them to scrub their hands and gargle with mouthwash every morning? There comes a point where this just gets ridiculous. Too bad people like you refuse to see that.
Quote:
It's really sad that people love their peanut butter so much that they can't help keep a child safe.
It's really sad that students love their outside time so much they can't help keep kids allergic to bees safe.
Yeah, I'm playing your game now.
Quote:
Enjoy your sandwich.
Tell your kid enjoy his recess.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Wow, you're really mean. And inconsiderate.
No, I just don't advocate giving special treatment to anyone whether it be affirmative action, bans on certain foods, etc.

Obviously it can't be avoided at all costs. It would be nice if the immediate contact could eliminated. Please don't breed.

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You're still dodging my point. A ban on peanuts and peanut products will not work. What if kids eat peanut butter before they come to school? What are you going to do then? Have school staff require them to scrub their hands and gargle with mouthwash every morning? There comes a point where this just gets ridiculous. Too bad people like you refuse to see that.

It's really sad that students love their outside time so much they can't help keep kids allergic to bees safe.
Yeah, I'm playing your game now.

Tell your kid enjoy his recess.
Are you really that much of an ass? Perhaps it is not the best way to handle things right now but it is A way....want change? Its called lobbying. We don't pay your congressman with our tax dollars so he can walk a tightrope and be shot out of a cannon while wearing tights.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks Smerkygirl....my thoughts the same. The hope "black atheiest liberatarian" is not a parent
What's with the quotation marks? Is there something wrong with being black, an atheist, or a Libertarian? I'm an honest, hard-working, tax paying citizen like many others are.

And I'm too young (IMO) to have children. Please don't make assumptions on what kind of parent I would be based off of your flawed conclusions you come to from internet discussions. It just doesn't work. There are tons of things you don't know about me, so to make assumptions about the kind of parent I would be is just asinine. I could make a list of reasons why I would make a good parent. My refusal to grant special treatment to people with allergies doesn't change that.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I commiserate with people who have to watch their kids go through the risk and the exposure; however, you also need to be able to pull away from your emotional and personal positions to look at the issue. Several takeaways are pretty evident in the posts here. In summary:

1. Banning it in school does not eliminate their risk for exposure, unless you want their whole lives to be around school and home only.
2. Kids can eat it at home and bring it to school (on their hands, fingernails, clothes, books, book bags, etc.). This blows your argument that they can eat it at home and your child would be safe.
3. Being given the facts that you don't like to hear and counter to your personal preferences is not mean and inconsiderate.
4. Demanding special treatment for a particular type of allergy is discriminatory against other types of allergies, likewise as potentially lethal as peanuts (e.g. bee stings, milk, gluten, etc.)
5. It is one thing to ask for consideration and another thing to ask the majority to cater to the very few.

If my child has a severe form of allergy, I would do everything possible to protect my child, including the possibility of homeschooling. Parenting is my responsibility.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Are you really that much of an ass? Perhaps it is not the best way to handle things right now but it is A way....want change? Its called lobbying. We don't pay your congressman with our tax dollars so he can walk a tightrope and be shot out of a cannon while wearing tights.
You two can try all you want to cast me in a negative light. It doesn't change the fact that there are parents who will agree with me.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I commiserate with people who have to watch their kids go through the risk and the exposure; however, you also need to be able to pull away from your emotional and personal positions to look at the issue. Several takeaways are pretty evident in the posts here. In summary:

1. Banning it in school does not eliminate their risk for exposure, unless you want their whole lives to be around school and home only.
2. Kids can eat it at home and bring it to school (on their hands, fingernails, clothes, books, book bags, etc.). This blows your argument that they can eat it at home and your child would be safe.
3. Being given the facts that you don't like to hear and counter to your personal preferences is not mean and inconsiderate.
4. Demanding special treatment for a particular type of allergy is discriminatory against other types of allergies, likewise as potentially lethal as peanuts (e.g. bee stings, milk, gluten, etc.)
5. It is one thing to ask for consideration and another thing to ask the majority to cater to the very few.

If my child has a severe form of allergy, I would do everything possible to protect my child, including the possibility of homeschooling. Parenting is my responsibility.
Somebody with some sense finally answers. Kudos to you.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 AM

You know, food allergies do not run in our family. I hope, and you better hope your future kids(if you have any), don't have the same issue. It is becoming more and more common. You might have to deal with insensitive people, and a "not my problem" attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education