U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:17 AM

10,218 posts, read 10,558,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
He is a very good chess player (at 6), and was in the Chess Club last year at his school. He won a second place medal for his age group (and they don't give them out for just "participation"). He learned at 4, and plays regularly with son in law and his Pappy (DH). He tried to teach me, but I can't grasp it! Parcheesi and checkers are more my speed. Unfortunately, his parents are worried about Covid and opted to remote school him for at least the first semester. He is only 6, and it's impossible to keep a mask on him and keep his fingers out of his mouth since he started losing his baby teeth (lately he's been exploring for/wiggling loose ones). Not good right now.

I'll mention Singapore Math to DD when I see them this weekend. And son in law is very musical (majored in music in college and plays several instruments). He's been wanting to teach grandson piano.

1. Cool that his dad can cover music.

2. Ideas regarding chess.

A. Reach out to the St. Louis Chess Club and see if they offer anything online for kids or know of something. At a minimum check out some of their youtube vids.

B. You should learn an 8 or 10 move scripted chess attack and play him. Excellent players and grandmasters etc. in general easily rebuff scripted plays but kids learning rarely can. At a minimum it'd be funny to box him in a little. Even if he sniffs out your play and wins he'll wonder how you improved so much.

C. Chess is phenomenal for bright kids because it's a no excuses exercise in competitive game theory, logic and simple brute force competition.

3. I believe Singapore math helps math inclined kids formalize a number of mental actions they already employ. In other words he's likely already using elements of Singapore math. My kids are both exceptional STEMish academic overachievers. I'm certain Singapore Math was key for both.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 05:38 AM

1,152 posts, read 915,807 times
I wish I could've skipped grades because truthfully, school came easy to me. I could study for an exam 2-3 days before the test and ace it. I was often among the first to finish in-class assignments. I took AP and honors courses all through school, so I could be exempt from most general ed courses in college. If a student has the maturity and discipline for higher-grade coursework, let them skip a grade.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:58 AM

4,442 posts, read 1,710,762 times
I haven't read thru this thread, so please excuse any redundancy:--- very little of the actual, factual info learned in grade school (or even high school, for that matter) is of practical importance, and it is so rudimentary that it is quickly picked up in more advanced studies. ...

The real purpose of schools is in the learning of study habits & techniques, developing a good attitude towards education, and most importantly, as a step in the socialization process-- learning how to get along with others, and learning where you fit into society.

Those latter points can't be rushed....I'm pretty sure that by the time I was 15, I could have memorized all the detailed info I later learned in med school, but would anyone want a 15 y/o doctor making their life & death decisions?..And what 20 y/o nursing student would want to go to a fraternity party with a date too young to drive?

Old 09-09-2020, 03:36 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,363,986 times
I'm glad I never had the opportunity to do it. My classes prior to high school, when the honors and AP tracks started, always came easily to me, but my social awareness back then was already pretty far behind my peers in ways that I'm only now fully realizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or