Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

What they said. Just one thing to add, when junior year rolls around, is to also take the ACT. This is a competitor to the SAT. Just due to the way the tests are designed, some kids do better on one than the other, so taking both gives a better chance for higher score.

When she gets a bit closer to junior year, there are several websites that show the average SAT/ACT/GPA for the various schools she might be interested in. But you have time to prepare for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslp View Post
Please try not to stress your daughter (and yourself) with these tests. Many of the top schools are pulling away from using these test in admissions. If you are looking at Ivys and other similar schools then these scores definitely matter. I assume you are looking at University of Texas at Austin. This is a good school but by no means a top school. More importantly in getting into a good or even great school is taking challenging classes (AP, IB, Honors) and having extracurriculars (sports, clubs, hobbies, job). Have your daughter joins things she enjoys and not just do them for her resume. High school is a time to grow and have some fun. Let your daughter be a kid while she still is one.
Actually, UT has an automatic admissions process for 75% of its class that solely looks at high school class placement to fill those spots. If you're in the top 7-8% of your Texas high school graduating class, you're automatically in.

Of course, how the top 7-8% of a class is determined seems to be at the high school level, so it's impossible to give good advice based on that. Some schools weight AP classes and some don't, so if your sole goal is UT, understanding your high school class rank is critical.

Extracurriculars and SAT only helps you get into UT if you're in that other 25% trying to squeeze in for a special spot. You need to be a prodigy in your specialty or have fantastic SAT scores.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

My daughter and I are registering for the SAT for test date June 4th.

I live in Houston Texas and she is entering the 10th grade this fall 2016

She would like to attend University of Texas.

Please help with question below:

1. Screenshot by Lightshot What subjects do I need to take?
2. If I take SAT on June 4th, what all subjects will I be tested over?

Thank you,
It's a waste of money for a sophomore to take the SAT's. Get a SAT prep book and have her try some practice tests on line. Try this site: https://www.khanacademy.org/sat?utm_...&utm_content=C

As the previous posters have said, usually a student will take a PSAT in the fall of their sophomore year and then again in the fall of Junior year - that's the one that counts for merit scholar. National Merit Scholarships and the PSAT | The Princeton Review Juniors can then take the SAT in the Spring of junior year and again in early summer.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education