Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:01 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I have never experienced any sort of discrimination. My impression is that male teachers are desired in the elementary schools. Every school I did a pre-service experience at offered me a job.

I've had mentors tell me that I would never want for a job.

Female teachers do fall into two categories though. They either love us, or hate us. We aren't the same and we teach differently. We reach kids differently. Just because we don't decorate or host holiday parties doesn't mean we aren't effective.
I've considered teaching MS and HS (and hopefully adjunct work post-grad school), and this is me, totally me. lol I'm not really interested in teaching lower grades, and partly because of not being the bubbly type or more "traditional" grade school teacher with a more upbeat personality.

I'm also aware that it will be difficult to find work in my subjects. They're not in demand. *sigh*

Quote:
In ten years of classroom expereince (Pre-k, 3rd, 4th (3 times), 5th (two times), MS/HS (2 years), SPED (1 year sped only, 6 total inclusion) I have only once encountered someone who questioned my ability. Thankfully the data was in my favor (shut them up pretty quick).
My family moved to the area we're in now in the spring when my older two were in 1st and 3rd grade. My 1st grader had a male teacher, and she was beyond ecstatic. "My teacher is a boy!" she said with a smile when I picked her up from her first day at the new school.

Since then neither of my kids had male teachers at the grade school level. That I can remember, I had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yes, i think its plausible. its only recently that ive seen a women car salesman [sic]. probably because men wouldnt buy a car from a women (they wouldnt know how to operate such a sophistacated machine).
Indeed. My wife sold cars for quite a while and would often get men who would ask for someone else because of her gender.

Also had a friend who was a male elementary teacher and he had parents request classroom changes and even accuse him of being a pedophile to his face simply for his choice of career.

People are terrible.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I'm a female teacher and have never done a cutesy bulletin board in my life.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
My son's male teacher does all the fun holiday stuff. My kids love it.

Female teachers: some do, some don't...some are REALLY straight arrows, academics all the way, no "bubbly" stuff...it's personality, and what one wants to focus on and what s/he doesn't. As long as the academics get taken care of I'm good with whatever the teacher's personality is in this regard, frankly. I can do all the holiday stuff with my kids at home.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:18 PM

I use creative methods (you have to, when teaching students with disabilities), I just don't do cutesy.

At my last school, we actually weren't allowed to do any holiday stuff, sigh.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I use creative methods (you have to, when teaching students with disabilities), I just don't do cutesy.

At my last school, we actually weren't allowed to do any holiday stuff, sigh.
Yes. My children are in ASD classes and the teachers have to constantly think outside the box - and sometimes, think fast!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Yep. I taught mostly ASD most of my career.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm a female teacher and have never done a cutesy bulletin board in my life.
I did one this year! It's a countdown to the end of the year. We pop on balloon a day. I call it a visual support, lol.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
I went to prep school in the 1960s so I had many male teachers. They were so good that I actually wanted to *become a teacher*. (I dropped that idea when I found out how much it paid.) I am disappointed to hear that men are not welcome or considered desirable in teaching young kids.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
The problem is not just that a lot of people are suspicious of male elementary teachers. The real problem is that they're suspicious of why those teachers are not bothered by that suspicion. Not being bothered by constant suspicion is viewed by some as a sign of insanity.

The questions that come to people's minds when they find out are: (1) Is he a perv? (2) Does he know a lot of people suspect him of being a perv? (3) If he knows that, why doesn't it bother him enough to make him find another job? (4) If his desire for his position is so strong that it motivates him to stay in spite of all the suspicion and pressure, what motivates such a strong desire? (5) Could he secretly be a closet perv, not even admitting it to himself? (6-99) Etc.

I'm not saying those are justified. Just that any male who wants to be an elementary teacher should take them into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education