Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
This would infuriate me. The 50:50 split is based off an arbitrary bell curve and done simply because the school does not have the teaching resources to offer rigor to all of the kids. Advanced math should be open to ANY kid who wants to do the work. Repeatedly scoring at 99th percentile is enough to demonstrate her competence. It is upsetting that kids in 7th grade are placed on a track where AP calculus will not be a viable option 5 years later.

Agree.

Push for the advanced class. Put it in writing with a chart showing her Math percentile scores. (Since she moved schools, perhaps no one has looked up her record of 99 percentiles each year).

It's SO annoying how they spend SO much time teaching to these tests, yet they don't USE the results.

the 50% thing is just so they can manage classroom numbers; and using Math placement to drive placement in the other subjedts is just to simplify scheduling, for the admin.

I had a little math issue like this - when I asked why my son - who was bored in math year after year after year (and also had 99 percentile on every standardized test) could do 5th grade math instead of 4th since he knew all the 4th. NO, they said. Well, later when we changed to another district, turns out they offered that higher track and now my son is on Tier 2, still bored in math, still getting A's with eyes closed and 99 percentiles on std tests. Well turns out the new school districts sees that - and offered him a "math block" option for 10th grade (acclerated Alg2 Honors and Precalc Honors all in one year, double period). I was so happy for a SOLUTION! And I am still bitter at first district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Former math teacher. Fight til the end. They give up based on exhaustion alone. Go into the meeting with all of her standardized test scores and past report cards in hand. Maybe also, contact her previous math teacher from her old school and have her write a recommendation as well. Use their words against them "students can move down but never up". Don't blame the teacher, just use the "give students every opportunity to be at their best" argument.

Good luck! Seriously, fight until the end.
This. But put in writing before the meeting.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Also, if over half the kids are ready for the class, it probably should just be the regular math class.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:59 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
I taught math for 9 years. Was a science teacher, but taught one class of math, had really high test scores, principal moved me to math. Stayed there. Not bragging but trying to convince you I know what I am talking about.

Putting 50% of the children in the advanced class is STUPID.

The result will be that the really smart kids will be slowed down, since the lower 25%, of the top 50% will not be able to keep up. It will be advanced, only in name!

I would expect at the end of the day, one could easily learn more and better in the regular class.

Note: learning is distinctly different from "taking" a subject.

If you want your child in "advanced" go to the school and insist. Tell them from all rational analysis, their 50-50 mix is not child centered but appears to be teacher/staff centered. Ask, "Do certain teachers only want to teach one type student, is that why you have the arbitrary split?" That will get your child in the so called advanced class.

Good luck

Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I taught math for 9 years. Was a science teacher, but taught one class of math, had really high test scores, principal moved me to math. Stayed there. Not bragging but trying to convince you I know what I am talking about.

Putting 50% of the children in the advanced class is STUPID.

The result will be that the really smart kids will be slowed down, since the lower 25%, of the top 50% will not be able to keep up. It will be advanced, only in name!

I would expect at the end of the day, one could easily learn more and better in the regular class.

Note: learning is distinctly different from "taking" a subject.

If you want your child in "advanced" go to the school and insist. Tell them from all rational analysis, their 50-50 mix is not child centered but appears to be teacher/staff centered. Ask, "Do certain teachers only want to teach one type student, is that why you have the arbitrary split?" That will get your child in the so called advanced class.

Good luck
The 50-50 split may not be arbitrary, but based on data and the number of students that are actually ready for the class. It's hard to say for sure without knowing the district, but I can assure you that I know of districts around here where such a split would likely be appropriate. Just playing devil's advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education