Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Trump sporting a tattoo would be the LEAST of my objections! ...same for a teacher - it would take a lot more than that (unless as many others have said, nudity, gang, swastika, obscenities,etc.)
This brings up an interesting question. How many politicians have tattoos? And if they do, are they ever exposed to view and what would be the effect on their electability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This brings up an interesting question. How many politicians have tattoos? And if they do, are they ever exposed to view and what would be the effect on their electability?
And what affect could a tattoo possibly have on the performance of their job? I wonder if it is physically painful to have such a narrow mind?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:57 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And what affect (sic) could a tattoo possibly have on the performance of their job? I wonder if it is physically painful to have such a narrow mind?
It was a question, not a statement.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:14 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoll0 View Post
Anyone can have an opinion, that doesn't mean the opinion isn't ignorant, archaic, and steeped in prejudice.

But, you be you. Thankfully, your school of thought is dying.
Perhaps I think that your opinion is worthless, but it IS your opinion, and I would defend to the death your right to have, and express it.

Quote:
I would never associate with anyone who had a tattoo, even if it was normally hidden. Unless they had gotten it when in the military, while drunk. If I had school-age children, I wouldn't want them exposed to a teacher who had them. But in fact, if I had children of that age, they would probably have run away from home by now.
Don't worry Steve, ikb will be along in a while to tell you the error of your ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hate tattoos. When I see a tattoo on a person my opinion of that person goes down considerably. Bible says not to write on your skin. I don't even like stamps at theme parks that will wash off. Tattoos are really low class and show bad judgment.
I'm not an avid Bible reader, but I like that bit, perhaps it should be the eleventh commandment.
Oh, and I think ikb will let you know soon that tattoos are not low class, (in his/her opinion.)

Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Your like or dislike for tattoos is your choice.

Prejudging someone because they have a tattoo makes you shallow, and a much lesser person than the one with the tattoo. No different than judging a person based on the color of their skin.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 08-01-2016 at 04:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 AM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Your like or dislike for tattoos is your choice.

Prejudging someone because they have a tattoo makes you shallow, and a much lesser person than the one with the tattoo. No different than judging a person based on the color of their skin.
Judging a person because of choices they made is much different than judging a person because of they way they were born.

I don't mind tattoos, and wouldn't have a problem with an elementary teacher having beautiful art on his or her skin. However, I would never compare those who think tattoos are a bad life choice to racists.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
i don't know about physicians, accountants, lawyers etc., but your question as to why anyone feels the need to have tattoos is one that I have often pondered.
It's easy for me to ask this, as I have always considered, (old soldiers excepted), that anyone who is tattooed is a tad short in the brain department, someone who is easily led and influenced, "X has a tattoo, I'll get one."
If I were to go into a shoe store, and a visibly tattooed assistant asked if I needed help, I'd say "no, I'm fine thanks", then wait for an unadorned assistant, reasoning that the unadorned one would be more on my wavelength, and we could discuss sizes, colours, alternatives etc. with an equal attitude.
It's the same at a social gathering, if I'm introduced to someone sporting a tattoo(s), I'll shake their hand, smile and say "how are you?"
I'd then avoid them like the plague, reasoning that we'd have little or nothing in common to talk about.
I'm no more nor less intelligent than anyone, and I have the common sense of a trash can lid, but tattoos are anathema to me.
Seeing them on a person, male or female, sets off an alarm that says, "Avoid, cross the street if possible."
I get your point. To me, it also indicates that the person is a trend follower and a fashion victim- someone who doesn't think for themselves and just follows the herd. Not someone with whom I would have anything in common. If the person with multiple tattoos were my child's teacher, I would definitely think twice about their judgement. Teachers model behavior for students.

Last edited by Hollytree; 08-01-2016 at 05:25 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:25 AM

274 posts, read 252,709 times
I made it through five pages before tldr set in, and I think the thread is getting a little heated for what is obviously an opinion question. I would like to post my opinion.

"Do you have any objection to elementary school teachers having visible tattoos?"

No, I do not.

I do have a tattoo. I would like to have more than one. As you stand next to me in line at the supermarket, you don't know I have one because it is "above the line". I chose to have it placed there because I knew that one day I would be a civilian again and that having a visible tattoo might hurt my employment prospects.

I'm all for self expression, but being inked is not a protected status in employment law, and I think that anyone who gets a tat without considering this is a bit self-absorbed. There are many blogs devoted to asking HR managers what their screen-out factors are, and "visible tattoos" is on some of those lists.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 AM

95 posts, read 94,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I get your point. To me, it also indicates that the person is a trend follower and a fashion victim- someone who doesn't think for themselves and just follows the herd. Not someone with whom I would have anything in common. If the person with multiple tattoos were my child's teacher, I would definitely think twice about their judgement. Teachers model behavior for students.
I agree with this. Like it or not, there are many of us who hate tattoos and associate them with bad judgment. What is sad to me is that celebrities who made them fashionable have the money to remove them while those who follow the trend mark themselves for life unless they have thousands to get them lasered.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
In my district visible tattoos are banned for teachers as well as piercings other than the ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education