Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

I live in super casual Florida, and people tend not to wear clothing that hides most of their skin, so I see a lot of tattoos. We homeschool, so I haven't seen many teachers in the classroom, except for one year when the kids went to a small charter school. I can't remember offhand if any of those teachers had visible tattoos. I do have teacher friends with tats, though. And the nurse at our pediatrician's office has tattoos on her wrists. Tattoos are such a non-issue for me and they're so commonplace that I really don't notice them unless they're really bright, large or otherwise noteworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I would never associate with anyone who had a tattoo, even if it was normally hidden. Unless they had gotten it when in the military, while drunk. If I had school-age children, I wouldn't want them exposed to a teacher who had them. But in fact, if I had children of that age, they would probably have run away from home by now.
Then you live in a cave, because a large percentage of people have them. And many of these tattooed people have tattoos that their clothing covers up. Your illogical reasoning iis similar to those people who claim they can tell who is carrying a concealed weapon by looking at them

Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then you live in a cave, because a large percentage of people have them. And many of these tattooed people have tattoos that their clothing covers up. Your illogical reasoning iis similar to those people who claim they can tell who is carrying a concealed weapon by looking at them
Going off topic and generalizing. But in fact, many of us can detect "concealed" weapons. Sometimes, the supporting gear shows traces. Often, the posture and body language will give it away. People with such weapons may hold their hands in different positions than they would normally. In some situations, their lives and those of others depend on the ability to spot them.

And I'm wondering about another kind of situation concerning concealed tattoos. Suppose someone established a close and potentially long-term type relationship with another person of the preferred sex? Then, sometime after making that commitment, they discovered that the person had a concealed tattoo? Or that one had been recently acquired, with no discussion about it? Just as in selling real estate, there should be a "full-disclosure" requirement. A violation of it should allow for an annulment or cancellation, with all costs and losses being the responsibility of the undisclosed tatooee. Fortunately, no woman with a tattoo has ever been able to slip under my radar.

Another thing to consider is how handy a tattoo makes it for the police to identify and track you. You will be just like a dog or cat with an identity chip. There have been times when someone with a tattoo has committed a crime and someone with a similar description and tattoo has been arrested, held and even convicted falsely, based on nothing else. You'd never get a job as a CIA field-agent, if you had a tattoo.

Regarding the percentage of people in this country who have tattoos, I doubt there's more than 5%, if you leave Millennials out of it. Has anyone made a survey and how would it be checked for veracity?

And that's really quite enough about tattoos. I don't want to have to think about them any more. I hope the Moderator will close-out this thread soon.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Lol. No need for the moderator to shut down an on-topic thread. If you don't want to think about them the quit reading the thread.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
You'd never get a job as a CIA field-agent, if you had a tattoo.
Lol: https://www.cia.gov/careers/games-information/myths

Plenty of clandestine operators have tattoos. You are welcomed to your opinion, but please do not spread BS around. Also, you felt to seek out one of the most difficult programs to get into, which 99.99% of people will not even attempt to get into.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

My grandmother lived in a nursing home at the time. When we would go visit, some of the men had tattoos. As you get older, depending on where it is... It won't be recognizable as anything in 30-50 years, and will just look idiotic.

If people want tattoos, they should at least wait until they are 30 or so before doing so. Too many people with them got them too early in life and regret them later.
Getting them at 30+ wouldn't change the fact that they'd still age with your skin by the time you are a senior citizen.

And if they do, who cares? If you're a senior citizen, living in a care facility, the last thing on earth you are going to be preoccupied with is if somebody's snot-nosed grandchild waltzes in and thinks, "Wow, that elderly person SURE LOOKS IDIOTIC."

Old 08-04-2016, 02:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Going off topic and generalizing. But in fact, many of us can detect "concealed" weapons. Sometimes, the supporting gear shows traces. Often, the posture and body language will give it away. People with such weapons may hold their hands in different positions than they would normally. In some situations, their lives and those of others depend on the ability to spot them.

And I'm wondering about another kind of situation concerning concealed tattoos. Suppose someone established a close and potentially long-term type relationship with another person of the preferred sex? Then, sometime after making that commitment, they discovered that the person had a concealed tattoo? Or that one had been recently acquired, with no discussion about it? Just as in selling real estate, there should be a "full-disclosure" requirement. A violation of it should allow for an annulment or cancellation, with all costs and losses being the responsibility of the undisclosed tatooee. Fortunately, no woman with a tattoo has ever been able to slip under my radar.

Another thing to consider is how handy a tattoo makes it for the police to identify and track you. You will be just like a dog or cat with an identity chip. There have been times when someone with a tattoo has committed a crime and someone with a similar description and tattoo has been arrested, held and even convicted falsely, based on nothing else. You'd never get a job as a CIA field-agent, if you had a tattoo.

Regarding the percentage of people in this country who have tattoos, I doubt there's more than 5%, if you leave Millennials out of it. Has anyone made a survey and how would it be checked for veracity?

And that's really quite enough about tattoos. I don't want to have to think about them any more. I hope the Moderator will close-out this thread soon.
Having talked himself into a corner, Mr. McDonald now appeals to the moderators to close the thread. Priceless!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
i laugh at people who use their bible or holy book flavor as a reason why no one should have them, i am sure mrMcdonald will care if the doctor or paramedic or firemen or cop that may save his life someday is all inked up. he will just care he is alive. but the people bigoted against tattooed people makes one wounder who else that hate on.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
This might be a "get off my lawn" post, for all I know. I worked at a K-6 school a couple years ago, and noticed some of the 40-something teachers with 1990s-era tattoos (the tribal stuff) showing through their shirt sleeve.
I guess my issue is, with the increased popularity of larger tattoos that cover entire body parts, tattoos visible in professional settings will escalate in a few years.
Should there be any reservations against people with visible body art teaching in public schools? Is it okay as long as it's reasonably hidden? Or is it inconsequential?

Let's get back to the OP please. I know it's hard to separate the actual question ^^from the overall question of whether tattoos are good or bad, but let's try or I will close the thread. And for anyone that doesn't want to think or talk about this topic, I suggest you don't post THAT opinion because it would be off topic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:10 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
How is this different from having a symbol on a necklace or blouse?

Think about it. Where did this taboo about tattoos really come from in the first place? (Hint.)

Because the original taboo does not come from a source that public policy is supposed to be based on, this should not be an issue for public employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education