Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hate tattoos. When I see a tattoo on a person my opinion of that person goes down considerably. Bible says not to write on your skin. I don't even like stamps at theme parks that will wash off. Tattoos are really low class and show bad judgment.
Some people might say that needing the bible to justify your opinions shows an inability to think for one's self, and that would lower their opinion of people. Wouldn't that be small minded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tattoos are always unprofessional. How many physicians, accountants, and lawyers have them? Would either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump have received their parties' nomination if they sported tattoos? How many successful people have tattoos? Why would anyone feel the need to have a tattoo?
This kind of perspective really depends on where you live. Go to LA or Dallas or Austin or NYC etc. and you will find plenty of professionals with (visible) tattoos. Not a majority, but a noticeable amount. Back in SC where I lived for 9 years it was not very common at all. I imagine it's not very common in Wyoming either.

I also don't understand everyone in here questioning someone's judgement just because they have tattoos. Very weird, closed-minded thinking in my opinion. I'm getting my first piece next month but I've been planning mine out for years. Specific styles with specific artists (traveling over the US to get them). It is not an impulsive decision. I like tattoos as an art form. I don't worry about peoples' opinions on it much because if that's how someone feels then it's not a person whose opinion I really value much anyway. However, I've never found high-quality tattoos to be trashy. I've always followed and enjoyed the culture even though I had zero until now.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:40 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
I care more about the teachers ability to teach than I do their personal taste.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Judging a person because of choices they made is much different than judging a person because of they way they were born.

I don't mind tattoos, and wouldn't have a problem with an elementary teacher having beautiful art on his or her skin. However, I would never compare those who think tattoos are a bad life choice to racists.
Agreed my point was a general one. I just feel that human nature is negative, and too many people pass judgement as negative first, as with tattoos. I wish people could flip their mentality not to judge negatively on first blush.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
How does it "take childhood away from children" to see a tattoo?

I think (though I know many will disagree with me, and yes, I do get why that is) that tattoos can often be a sign that someone isn't happy with the body they were given at birth - and that is a big issue in today's society (promoting breast augmentation and other plastic surgery is also along that line - there are now some 6 year olds requesting nose jobs primarily for aesthetic reasons for instance ... is that a good thing?).

But further, when a teacher (theoretically an authority figure) 'models' any behaviour or presents any personal image - good or bad - in front of impressionable young children it potentially has an effect on many of those kids whether they know it or not - and one may not even see what effect that is till many years later when the rebellious years begin. Parents may not even be aware exactly what kids are being 'taught' (by example, deliberately or inadvertently) in school so they cannot necessarily take steps at home to counteract any impressions their youngsters have picked up in the classroom.

With so much 'permissiveness' (and media modelling) in society today, parents already have kids clamouring for skimpy clothes, getting into drugs and alcohol at young ages, wanting age-inappropriate piercings, having inappropriate relationships online, etc. Would you as a parent want to add 'tattoos' to the list of things that a child wants to have done at age 7 because 'everyone else is doing it .. my teacher has tattoos .. Jenny's mommy let her do it ... wah, wah, wah, why can't I?' If you say no, oftentimes kids will then threaten you with 'telling CPS or calling 911' - why? because they can and have been told that anything they are refused is abuse. If this has never happened in your household, you are indeed fortunate if your kids attend public schools these days - it has been a problem for many, many years in some places/schools. Kids have NO idea of the consequences for the whole family when they are taught to use (and then regurgitate) this 'problem solving' methodology.

You (in a general sense) may, due to your personal experience, think I am exaggerating or overdramatizing things, or that they happen rarely so what's the big deal, but how do you know that? Why add to the number of things that both kids and parents may have to deal with all for the sake of covering up or being careful where one puts tattoos so that kids are not influenced in any way by that added stimulus?

My own daughter was being taught (without our knowledge - over 20 years ago in a country that is always said to be 10 years behind the US) that one should ALWAYS report it any time a parent even tries to say no or discipline them without any violence - and she once did it. What a mess that was! All over asking her to go to bed at an appropriate time for her age .. which she, like many kids, did NOT want to do that particular night so a few strong words were uttered (after all other standard bribery and coddling techniques were tried). We were found totally not guilty of any 'offense' other than being caring and responsible parents, but it left a very lasting impression and worry for us all - and she was immediately transferred out of that school system.

Thank goodness we didn't also have to deal with her demanding that we allow her to get a tattoo at age 8. It was bad enough that she demanded she be allowed to have her ears pierced but when we refused to allow that (till she was 16) we were 'lucky' in that she was quickly dissuaded when all her 'friends' ears became infected because they honestly were not ready to care for that kind of thing at that young age. The 'fad' passed quickly but she ultimately did have her ears pierced (at age 25). No problem then - it was an educated choice at that age. She was also ready and able to deal with any consequences that may have arisen.

Just because things exist and adults may do them doesn't mean children are ready in any way to do them too.

My opinion is all I have of course ... I have absolutely no influence over any of this, despite the fact that I am forced to pay taxes to support school systems and/or teachers who seem to think it is not only ok but even beneficial to model ALL adult activities in a grade 2 classroom for some reason that escapes me ... at the same time as they seem to neglect teaching the basic 3 r's or even good life skills like personal responsibility, financial management, good etiquette, etc.

My hope is that the standard still is that teachers are hired to be good role models and to teach reading, writing and arithmetic in the early grades - and as much as is practicable, other than reinforcing basic manners and social/life skills, that is all they should teach. But hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

Some parents may approve (or even have their own tattoos so their kids are used to seeing them) but I think it is best to go with the lowest common denominator in this case - that of NOT showing off tattoos or obvious piercings except for females who wear discrete pierced earrings, or wearing clothes that are too revealing, etc., even if one 'wears them' well and doesn't make a big deal out of them, if possible.

Yes, times are changing .. but they could also change back too. Go 'basic' and 'traditional', if for no other reason than you can't be sure of the eventual results of doing otherwise.

Last edited by Aery11; 08-01-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I think (though I know many will disagree with me, and yes, I do get why that is) that tattoos can often be a sign that someone isn't happy with the body they were given at birth - and that is a big issue in today's society (promoting breast augmentation and other plastic surgery is also along that line - there are now some 6 year olds requesting nose jobs primarily for aesthetic reasons for instance ... is that a good thing?).

But further, when a teacher (theoretically an authority figure) 'models' any behaviour or presents any personal image - good or bad - in front of impressionable young children it potentially has an effect on many of those kids whether they know it or not - and one may not even see what effect that is till many years later when the rebellious years begin. Parents may not even be aware exactly what kids are being 'taught' (by example, deliberately or inadvertently) in school so they cannot necessarily take steps at home to counteract any impressions their youngsters have picked up in the classroom.

With so much 'permissiveness' (and media modelling) in society today, parents already have kids clamouring for skimpy clothes, getting into drugs and alcohol at young ages, wanting age-inappropriate piercings, having inappropriate relationships online, etc. Would you as a parent want to add 'tattoos' to the list of things that a child wants to have done at age 7 because 'everyone else is doing it .. my teacher has tattoos .. Jenny's mommy let her do it ... wah, wah, wah, why can't I?' If you say no, oftentimes kids will then threaten you with 'telling CPS or calling 911' - why? because they can and have been told that anything they are refused is abuse. If this has never happened in your household, you are indeed fortunate if your kids attend public schools these days - it has been a problem for many, many years in some places/schools. Kids have NO idea of the consequences for the whole family when they are taught to use (and then regurgitate) this 'problem solving' methodology.

You (in a general sense) may, due to your personal experience, think I am exaggerating or overdramatizing things, or that they happen rarely so what's the big deal, but how do you know that? Why add to the number of things that both kids and parents may have to deal with all for the sake of covering up or being careful where one puts tattoos so that kids are not influenced in any way by that added stimulus?

My own daughter was being taught (without our knowledge - over 20 years ago in a country that is always said to be 10 years behind the US) that one should ALWAYS report it any time a parent even tries to say no or discipline them without any violence - and she once did it. What a mess that was! All over asking her to go to bed at an appropriate time for her age .. which she, like many kids, did NOT want to do that particular night so a few strong words were uttered (after all other standard bribery and coddling techniques were tried). We were found totally not guilty of any 'offense' other than being caring and responsible parents, but it left a very lasting impression and worry for us all - and she was immediately transferred out of that school system.

Thank goodness we didn't also have to deal with her demanding that we allow her to get a tattoo at age 8. It was bad enough that she demanded she be allowed to have her ears pierced but when we refused to allow that (till she was 16) we were 'lucky' in that she was quickly dissuaded when all her 'friends' ears became infected because they honestly were not ready to care for that kind of thing at that young age. The 'fad' passed quickly but she ultimately did have her ears pierced (at age 25). No problem then - it was an educated choice at that age. She was also ready and able to deal with any consequences that may have arisen.

Just because things exist and adults may do them doesn't mean children are ready in any way to do them too.

My opinion is all I have of course ... I have absolutely no influence over any of this, despite the fact that I am forced to pay taxes to support school systems and/or teachers who seem to think it is not only ok but even beneficial to model ALL adult activities in a grade 2 classroom for some reason that escapes me ... at the same time as they seem to neglect teaching the basic 3 r's or even good life skills like personal responsibility, financial management, good etiquette, etc.

My hope is that the standard still is that teachers are hired to be good role models and to teach reading, writing and arithmetic in the early grades - and as much as is practicable, other than reinforcing basic manners and social/life skills, that is all they should teach. But hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

Some parents may approve (or even have their own tattoos so their kids are used to seeing them) but I think it is best to go with the lowest common denominator in this case - that of NOT showing off tattoos or obvious piercings except for females who wear discrete pierced earrings, or wearing clothes that are too revealing, etc., even if one 'wears them' well and doesn't make a big deal out of them, if possible.

Yes, times are changing .. but they could also change back too. Go 'basic' and 'traditional', if for no other reason than you can't be sure of the eventual results of doing otherwise.

Two thumbs up!!!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:

Thank goodness we didn't also have to deal with her demanding that we allow her to get a tattoo at age 8. It was bad enough that she demanded she be allowed to have her ears pierced but when we refused to allow that (till she was 16) we were 'lucky' in that she was quickly dissuaded when all her 'friends' ears became infected because they honestly were not ready to care for that kind of thing at that young age. The 'fad' passed quickly but she ultimately did have her ears pierced (at age 25). No problem then - it was an educated choice at that age.

That's a cop out at best and lazy parenting at worst.

If you're family values are so fragile just seeing something that conflicts with them threatens them, than you never really instilled them in the first place.

Strength of character is a skill that takes practice. Being exposed to a tattoo as a grade school student is an opportunity to practice and discuss your family values in order to build your child's character.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I know our schools have a policy of no tats , no piercings of any kind , neatly shaved , groomed and clean . They also state long sleeve shirts and ties for the male teachers and skirts and dresses below the knee for female teachers . I think teachers should be neat and clean and present that image .

Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Some tattoos are a lot more inappropriate than others. I'd object to a teacher with visible Nazi or other such symbols.

I agree. Only if they are inappropriate.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:

Do pierced ears also imply a dissatisfaction with one's body? And you allowed that in your own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I know our schools have a policy of no tats , no piercings of any kind , neatly shaved , groomed and clean . They also state long sleeve shirts and ties for the male teachers and skirts and dresses below the knee for female teachers . I think teachers should be neat and clean and present that image .
And by no piercings are you including ears as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education