Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Our oldest and youngest kids (a girl and boy) both had severe peanut allergies. And you know what? The only time they had issues at school with those allergies was when they asked the cafeteria staff if there were peanuts in something (usually cookies) and were told no when there actually were.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It does make me wonder having grown up in the 50's, and eating lunch where so many kids ate peanut butter sandwiches.....why peanut butter wasn't an issue then? Does anyone know?
Likely because the kids with the severe peanut allergies had already died at a younger age. With medical treatments like epipens and increased awareness, more people with severe peanut allergies are surviving, and having children, resulting in more people with severe peanut allergies overall.

Last edited by pkbab5; 08-19-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 11:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
No. There is a point at which a fragile minority doesn't belong in the general population, not the reverse.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I would have starved! I ate peanut sandwiches almost everyday in elementary school.

If one has allergies, then they need accommodations yes, but everyone else shouldn't be penalized. A special classroom or special table is fine. What will these kids do when they go off to college or out in the world? Everyone seems to get all up in arms over these allergies.....many are actually reactions. The number of people with these allergies is a very low percentage. How did they discover the kid was allergic to peanut butter? Probably was around peanuts.....didn't die. Very few people die from allergies.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Yes, they absolutely should ban those things. And people who think their kids can't choke down a turkey sandwich instead of peanut butter are the ones who are raising special snowflakes.

No Sandwich Is More Important Than a Child's Life

You Might Be an Asshat if You Think People With Food Allergies Are Ruining Your Life - Real Life Parenting
We're dealing with this right now. I have four kids. We also have our own set of food allergies that makes it difficult to feed them and diets are limited. One of my children only eats 10 foods and peanut butter is one of them. But peanut butter is banned in the school he is supposed to go to in 2 years. (His brother is there now.) Also, eating meat is expensive! We depend on peanut butter to make the grocery budget at the end of the month.

I'm not negating the seriousness of an anaphylactic reaction. But I am saying that we should also consider how much stress is reasonable to put on the entire community. Sending these kids to an allergy free school isn't a good answer, but having a self-contained classroom where severely allergic kids ate their lunch, without possibility of cross contamination should definitely be a conversation on the table. I don't think it's fair to ask the entire country to change their eating habits for the entire school day because a tiny minority has an illness. The illness should be addressed in another way.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
So if we take soy,nuts,Wheat,Gluten,Dairy,Fish,Shellfish,Eggs out of the food at schools. What are we going to feed these kids? water and corn meal?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It does make me wonder having grown up in the 50's, and eating lunch where so many kids ate peanut butter sandwiches.....why peanut butter wasn't an issue then? Does anyone know?
Allergies are on the rise across the board. There are many different theories but the hygiene hypothesis is one of the most widely studied right now. Basically our immune system evolved to deal with parasites, infections and so on. The state of our environs means that the immune system is no longer working at what it is supposed to and some think it is working in ways it shouldn't aka allergic reactions.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
We're dealing with this right now. I have four kids. We also have our own set of food allergies that makes it difficult to feed them and diets are limited. One of my children only eats 10 foods and peanut butter is one of them. But peanut butter is banned in the school he is supposed to go to in 2 years. (His brother is there now.) Also, eating meat is expensive! We depend on peanut butter to make the grocery budget at the end of the month.

I'm not negating the seriousness of an anaphylactic reaction. But I am saying that we should also consider how much stress is reasonable to put on the entire community. Sending these kids to an allergy free school isn't a good answer, but having a self-contained classroom where severely allergic kids ate their lunch, without possibility of cross contamination should definitely be a conversation on the table. I don't think it's fair to ask the entire country to change their eating habits for the entire school day because a tiny minority has an illness. The illness should be addressed in another way.
Shall we play the numbers game? There are likely more children who will die from peanut exposure, than students like yours who HAS to eat peanut butter. Therefore, based on that logic your child should be the one eating peanut butter in a contained classroom away from all of his friends and peers. That is fine right?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
No. There is a point at which a fragile minority doesn't belong in the general population, not the reverse.
I suspect Stephen Hawking and the rest of modern astrophysics would disagree. Negating a person to no more than their disability can be a mistake for society as a whole.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
So if we take soy,nuts,Wheat,Gluten,Dairy,Fish,Shellfish,Eggs out of the food at schools. What are we going to feed these kids? water and corn meal?
How about some actual logic and fact. Any proof that schools are BANNING anything besides nuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education