Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:44 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times

Advertisements

Bright Horizons in both NJ and NYC have a nut-free facility policy. No nuts of any kind is allowed. Which is unfortunately because they also require ready to eat lunches (no reheating) and my kid kinda only eats peanut butter sandwiches in that category.

But so far, all I've been told is nut-free, nothing else has been banned as far as I know. Individual locations may vary.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I would have starved! I ate peanut sandwiches almost everyday in elementary school.

If one has allergies, then they need accommodations yes, but everyone else shouldn't be penalized. A special classroom or special table is fine. What will these kids do when they go off to college or out in the world? Everyone seems to get all up in arms over these allergies.....many are actually reactions. The number of people with these allergies is a very low percentage. How did they discover the kid was allergic to peanut butter? Probably was around peanuts.....didn't die. Very few people die from allergies.
People are not required to go to college. They are not required by law to go to restaurants. They are required to attend school. If we are requiring them to attend, we need to make it safe for them.

If someone's kid refuses to eat cheese and crackers, school lunch, sunbutter, a ham sandwich or any of the literally hundreds of options other than peanut butter, then he's just being a brat. I'd much rather accommodate the kids with life-threatening allergies than the kids who are just being brats.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:34 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It does make me wonder having grown up in the 50's, and eating lunch where so many kids ate peanut butter sandwiches.....why peanut butter wasn't an issue then? Does anyone know?
They died, generally before they entered school. Some of the children described as being a sickly child in the olden days were simply kids with severe allergies.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
We're dealing with this right now. I have four kids. We also have our own set of food allergies that makes it difficult to feed them and diets are limited. One of my children only eats 10 foods and peanut butter is one of them. But peanut butter is banned in the school he is supposed to go to in 2 years. (His brother is there now.) Also, eating meat is expensive! We depend on peanut butter to make the grocery budget at the end of the month.

I'm not negating the seriousness of an anaphylactic reaction. But I am saying that we should also consider how much stress is reasonable to put on the entire community. Sending these kids to an allergy free school isn't a good answer, but having a self-contained classroom where severely allergic kids ate their lunch, without possibility of cross contamination should definitely be a conversation on the table. I don't think it's fair to ask the entire country to change their eating habits for the entire school day because a tiny minority has an illness. The illness should be addressed in another way.
Sun butter is safe. School lunches are safe. It doesn't have to be expensive. Eliminating nuts isn't unreasonable. Only eating 10 foods is unreasonable.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Illegal. Federally illegal.

Children with a physical disability, like a life threatening food allergy, to the a free and appropriate public education in the LEAST RESTRICTIVE (aka mainstream classroom) possible. There is no federally protected right to eat peanut butter in school.
I'm not trying to be a smart a--....But, are food allergies considered a disability?

I'm researching....but it still is unclear to me. Anyone?? https://search.ada.gov/search?query=...te=justice-ada

Last edited by JanND; 08-19-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 04:15 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be a smart a--....But, are food allergies considered a disability?

I'm researching....but it still is unclear to me. Anyone?? https://search.ada.gov/search?query=...te=justice-ada
Kids with them can be put on a 504 Plan. So a health related disability to an extent. Enough so that accommodations have to be made.

After the third school food experience with our youngest son where the staff told him there were no peanuts or peanut butter in something and there was, he was allowed to carry his Epi-Pen with him in his backpack.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:41 PM

366 posts, read 493,672 times
It is nonsense and just another example of a Government entity grooming the weak minded into compliance.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Kids with them can be put on a 504 Plan. So a health related disability to an extent. Enough so that accommodations have to be made.

After the third school food experience with our youngest son where the staff told him there were no peanuts or peanut butter in something and there was, he was allowed to carry his Epi-Pen with him in his backpack.
Thank you. It must be very frightening everyday to send your child to school.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:55 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Thank you. It must be very frightening everyday to send your child to school.
It really wasn't, it was more frustrating that the incidents happened due to a staff issue. Both kids had always been really good at avoiding the problem foods. It was easier for our oldest daughter, she was really just nuts and tomatoes, of all things (which meant no ketchup).

Our son was allergic to so many things it was easier to list what he wasn't allergic to rather than what he was.

Neither of them would eat the bad stuff on a dare or just because everyone else was.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
My brother was very allergic to peanuts (still is). So I'm glad to see that schools today are very attentive about peanut allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education