Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,582,312 times

Advertisements

I signed up for an undergraduate precalculus trigonometry class recently, because I want to add some kind of additional certification to my current license, and I need it as a prerequisite to most of the science or math courses I need. I'm completely lost. The professor moves way too fast, and I'm having trouble keeping up even though I put at least 6-8 hours in per week studying the material (that's way more time than I usually put in studying anything, and if this wasn't math, I would have all A's with that level of dedication). I'm confused and upset. Of course, I didn't intend to throw my money away, but I'm feeling like I'm beginning to sink, and I don't even know how to ask for help. I keep telling myself that I might enjoy math if I could get past these confusing high-school level prerequisite classes, but how do people normally do this? Here are some of my main problems:

Conceptualization:

It's just not there. I stare at word problems blankly and find myself memorizing steps from examples I've seen worked, maybe a little like someone who can't read memorizes words to keep from looking completely clueless. In the end, I end up applying the wrong formulas and operations to the problems, most of the time. I'm not sure if this would stop if I were to put in more study time or what the real problem is.

Memorization:

I'm finding these classes super heavy on memorization, not only formulas but structure of the individual problems and steps. I can't seem to really keep up with all of the memorizing that is required. I'll memorize a formula and know it pretty well, but then I will either not know how to apply it, or have to memorize other stuff and forget it when I really need it. I might as well be trying to learn Greek; in fact, it would probably be easier.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
If you are struggling with "confusing high-school level" prerequisites it is only going to get harder in the upper level classes. There is a reason Math and Science teachers are considered high in demand - it's because they are short in supply and those pesky content classes are why. You must be able to do well in beginning college-level math classes to teach math or science. In many ways science is basically a series of interrelated math word problems and math is, well, nothing but math.

But.. You might see if your school has a math tutoring program or special math remediation labs. Not all schools do and you are more likely to find them at community colleges than universities. If you are already struggling this much you really need to talk to your instructor.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Trig and pre calculus are not rote memorization classes.

I am going to be blunt. With the exception of Calc 1, the higher maths are HARDER than trig and pre calculus. I have taken Calc 1, 2, diff eq and linear. They all build on the prcalc.

Trig and pre calculus are the first math classes that aren't arithmetic but are actually math. And if you struggle at this level you do not have the innate ability to master the harder stuff. Not everyone can succeed at everything, you could like struggle through with Cs because the curve is frequently pretty steep but aren't you doing the students a disservice?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I signed up for an undergraduate precalculus trigonometry class recently, because I want to add some kind of additional certification to my current license, and I need it as a prerequisite to most of the science or math courses I need. I'm completely lost. The professor moves way too fast, and

I'm having trouble keeping up even though I put at least 6-8 hours in per week studying the material (that's way more time than I usually put in studying anything, and if this wasn't math, I would have all A's with that level of dedication). I'm confused and upset. Of course, I didn't intend to throw my money away, but I'm feeling like I'm beginning to sink, and I don't even know how to ask for help. I keep telling myself that I might enjoy math if I could get past these confusing high-school level prerequisite classes, but how do people normally do this? Here are some of my main problems:

Conceptualization:

It's just not there. I stare at word problems blankly and find myself memorizing steps from examples I've seen worked, maybe a little like someone who can't read memorizes words to keep from looking completely clueless. In the end, I end up applying the wrong formulas and operations to the problems, most of the time. I'm not sure if this would stop if I were to put in more study time or what the real problem is.

Memorization:

I'm finding these classes super heavy on memorization, not only formulas but structure of the individual problems and steps. I can't seem to really keep up with all of the memorizing that is required. I'll memorize a formula and know it pretty well, but then I will either not know how to apply it, or have to memorize other stuff and forget it when I really need it. I might as well be trying to learn Greek; in fact, it would probably be easier.
I am just going to comment on the amount of studying. Isn't the usual guideline 3 (or 4) hours of study or outside work for each college credit? I am guessing that this is a three credit class so most people would expect to be putting in 9 to 12 hours a week of practice or studying. And, I know that for some classes everyone needed to spend a lot more time reading/studying/practicing than that "guideline".

Frankly, only spending 6 to 8 hours a week studying for a math class seems like far too little. Heck, that averages out to only an hour a day.

--------

How did you do in your other college math classes? Didn't your University require several college level math classes to get your undergraduate degree?

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-02-2016 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am just going to comment on the amount of studying. Isn't the usual guideline 3 (or 4) hours of study or outside work for each college credit? I am guessing that this is a three credit class so most people would expect to be putting in 9 to 12 hours a week of practice or studying. And, I know that for some classes everyone needed to spend a lot more time reading/studying/practicing than that "guideline".

Frankly, only spending 6 to 8 hours a week studying for a math class seems like far too little. Heck, that averages out to only an hour a day.

--------

How did you do in your other college math classes? Didn't your University require several college level math classes to get your undergraduate degree?
The 6-8 hours a week should suffice enough to not be struggling this much, I know I never put in that much time. If she is taking pre-Calc/Trig now she didn't have previous true college level math in the past. A fair number of schools offer math-lite classes for non-science/math majors, including most Colleges of Education within a university. I know where I currently am an instructor we have Math for Teachers, which almost doesn't rise to high school level math, let alone college level, but an amazingly large number of students still struggle with it. There are also Business Math classes and a few other classes designed for math strugglers.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Memorization:

Math is not about memorization; it's about logical thinking. You can't memorize your way through it. Word problems for example are not about applying the same formula over and over, but are about understanding what is being asked and then constructing the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

?

I concur with this. This was the very first thought in my head. Even mathematically inclined students should be spending 9 or more hours on this class. Someone who has not experienced higher level math probably should spend double that time.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Math is not about memorization; it's about logical thinking. You can't memorize your way through it. Word problems for example are not about applying the same formula over and over, but are about understanding what is being asked and then constructing the solution.

I concur with this. This was the very first thought in my head. Even mathematically inclined students should be spending 9 or more hours on this class. Someone who has not experienced higher level math probably should spend double that time.
That's a paradigm shift. I usually spend very little, if any, time studying anything. It usually just sticks because it's something I get totally absorbed into. Math doesn't do that for me. I'm also terrible with reasoning through pictures. It might be related to ASD, but graphs and charts actually sometimes confuse me rather than aiding in helping me understand a concept. I also have trouble keeping things straight in my head. Like if someone told me a train was traveling west across some kind of plain, I would probably put the train in the wrong spot. I do this kind of thing all of the time when people try to give me directions. I don't want to give up on it, though, because I should be able to do math. I can do almost everything else, why not math, too?

As for science, I love it and have always been good at it, but I eventually ran into trouble because of all of the math. Chemistry was almost exclusively math, and I haven't taken any more science classes for fear of having trouble with the math.

Last edited by krmb; 09-02-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
You haven't told us yet just how much Math you have taken in the past and how long ago that was. The Math that was taught at the basic level in the past was much simpler than what even 6th-graders have to learn today. There's symbols that are used that were not presented to lower-level students when I was in school. Some equations and factors are expressed differently and placed in different positions to each other today.

I was very good at Math in the 7th to 9th grades. I regularly beat everyone in an advanced-placement class, with complex problems at the blackboard. But the high-school Algebra I took in the 9th-grade, was the last Math class I ever took. I got 100% in the Math section of my college-placement exams, so I was exempt from taking any Math in college.

They did not do me any favor by this. If only they had made me take at least a year in college, I'd be in a much better position now. If I tried to take a comprehensive test today, I'd do well in most everything, but I'd be lost at Math. I'd have to take a bonehead course of it for a year, before I could even start at the college level today. Maybe you're in a similar situation. You may have to be humble and start all over with Math at a much more basic level than what you're attempting to do. And yes, some of the Professors in Math and Chemistry can be ruthless in rolling right over top of students who can't keep up with their courses from the very first day of class.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You haven't told us yet just how much Math you have taken in the past and how long ago that was. The Math that was taught at the basic level in the past was much simpler than what even 6th-graders have to learn today. There's symbols that are used that were not presented to lower-level students when I was in school. Some equations and factors are expressed differently and placed in different positions to each other today.

I was very good at Math in the 7th to 9th grades. I regularly beat everyone in an advanced-placement class, with complex problems at the blackboard. But the high-school Algebra I took in the 9th-grade, was the last Math class I ever took. I got 100% in the Math section of my college-placement exams, so I was exempt from taking any Math in college.

They did not do me any favor by this. If only they had made me take at least a year in college, I'd be in a much better position now. If I tried to take a comprehensive test today, I'd do well in most everything, but I'd be lost at Math. I'd have to take a bonehead course of it for a year, before I could even start at the college level today. Maybe you're in a similar situation. You may have to be humble and start all over with Math at a much more basic level than what you're attempting to do. And yes, some of the Professors in Math and Chemistry can be ruthless in rolling right over top of students who can't keep up with their courses from the very first day of class.
I took my last high school trigonometry class over ten years ago, if I'm correct. The last bit of Pre calculus I had was in college, and I had to take it twice to pass it! The professor thought I didn't understand basic math and recommended I sign up for one of the developmental maths they offer. I was of course totally disappointed and a little upset. I had taken the same math classes twice since I got into high school, not because I was lazy, but because nothing made sense and I couldn't keep the concepts in my head. I was also afraid of asking questions in class as a high school student, and some of my teachers even told us that some people "just aren't math people," which to me translated as "if you get stuck, don't expect me to help you." I'm pretty clear on what my problem is, though, I'm not able to retain pictures in my head or imagine things the way the math problem is stating them, leaving me to haphazardly apply formulas, like using sine when I should use cosine or using diameter when I should use area and so forth. The frustrating part, though, is that I don't know how to correct it, and this is the only subject I have this much trouble with. Even science, usually, provides enough context so that I'm not totally confused. With math, though, it's just not that way.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Each of us learns differently because our brains are wired slightly differently. You need to find someone who can make the subject intuitive for you. Not all teachers can do this, in fact it is rare that teachers consider non-standard learning modes. Perhaps you could scan through online videos, either you-tube or from free online math tutoring courses. I have none to recommend, but I have heard about them generally on various programs on NPR etc. (Is there something called the Khan academy?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education