Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Most kids with a BA can't do better then a retail job after college these days
Not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Trade school is not "easier." If it is, (like ITT Tech), you're wasting your time because they're just re-teaching you high school or teaching you how to file or something.

The trade programs at my community college are not "easy" - they take just as much commitment as the transfer programs to finish.
Right. I was looking through the local CC website, and the trade programs require pretty much the same classes (English, Math, various electives) that a transfer student has to take. The goal being is to give you a well rounded education as well as the hands on trade program.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Having a college degree is 100% better than not having one. That should be indisputable.

Now the debt incurred should be proportional to the degree. If you're a doctor then you're going to have TONS of debt. But if you're a Humanities major, you should really think twice if it's going to cost you $200k for your undergrad.

There are 3 things that you need to get a job, in most importance:

Networking, Degree, Experience. After you've gained experience your degree falls to 3rd and is the backbone of your experience.

And in some cases you need to go back to school or complete higher level courses or programs in order to climb the management ranks.

As the years go by, what you've studied isn't worthless, but rather worth less in the eyes of employers because you have experience; because you had a good recommendation from a colleague, etc...

Of course there are exceptions and unique circumstances, but still, obtaining and having a degree is always the right thing to do.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Yeah, if you get any kind of degree, without learning any marketable-skills, and you acquired a ton of debt....that for me would be a big fail.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveplane View Post
On other forums, I've seen people talk about how getting a Bachelor's Degree is nothing special, and that being college educated is nothing to boast about.

Sounds like people are citing anecdotal evidence from personal experience.

Maybe some people got a BA and couldn't find a decent job and they're bitter.
Maybe some people's kids got a BA and still live at home at age 30.

Everyone's story is different.

I don't have a degree, but my wife has a Master's. Our elder son is double-majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics, while our younger son is majoring in Psychology. The Psych degree seems like it begs for a graduate degree on top of it, but the double-STEM degree doesn't.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:37 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sounds like people are citing anecdotal evidence from personal experience.

Maybe some people got a BA and couldn't find a decent job and they're bitter.
Maybe some people's kids got a BA and still live at home at age 30.

Everyone's story is different.

I don't have a degree, but my wife has a Master's. Our elder son is double-majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics, while our younger son is majoring in Psychology. The Psych degree seems like it begs for a graduate degree on top of it, but the double-STEM degree doesn't.
A master's if not a doctorate is really required in psychology.

Double majoring in math and computer science strikes me as a little redundant unless it's just a few extra classes.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:39 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Overall, I think anyone should be proud of the degree they've obtained. Just because it isn't as exclusive as it used to be doesn't mean one shouldn't be proud. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:49 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
There are certain jobs that probably shouldn't require a college degree. But here's what my supervisor said about it:

"Someone without a degree could probably do this job. But a college degree shows me that someone knows how to think in different ways, and that they have the ability to work around others."

Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Double majoring in math and computer science strikes me as a little redundant unless it's just a few extra classes.
Yeah, I guess it can seem redundant and for many jobs it may be. But the Math degree on top of the CS degree will hopefully make the kid's resume *pop*, if there is a lot of competition for a particular job.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
When everyone you know goes to college after high school because that's what you're supposed to do, your degree doesn't feel as special or accomplished.

It gets discouraging knowing you're competing with everyone else who also has a degree for the same job. I would say a degree AND work experience are more important. If you're going to get a degree anyway, WORK while you're in school.

And from my experience, my brain is terrible at remembering facts. I do not remember 99% of what I learned in college, so it made me wonder what was the point of getting a degree? Especially a degree that doesn't have a job that directly correlates with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education