Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:44 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

It sounds like she has developmental dyscalculia. Has she thought about becoming a social worker?

Overcoming Adult Dyscalculia

http://www.dyscalculia.org/

https://ldaamerica.org/adults/

Last edited by west seattle gal; 11-29-2016 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 04:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
How much does she pay you for rent, food and utilities? (You don't have to answer.) I had roommates when I was single to share in the expenses and I didn't live in the same state as my parents when I was in my early 20s. I lived where I could get a better job and didn't need a car. Maybe she has it too good at home. Maybe she should move away to where the jobs are.

Has she looked into government employment and will she move to wherever she finds work and is she willing to live with others until she can afford her own place? She has a better chance if she's willing to relocate for work.

www.usajobs.gov.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:45 AM

285 posts, read 868,676 times
OP, I agree with others who recommend an evaluation by a professional. Someone who is struggling in one area (physical health, mental health, learning challenges) will undoubtedly struggle in others. One things affects the other. Once you have her evaluated, I suggest you check out your state's vocational rehabilitation program. Her doctors, school records, therapist, etc. can all provide documentation stating why she needs vocational rehab. Help your daughter document everything she has experienced and see what a voc rehab counselor can help her with. I have worked with adults who had learning challenges and had difficulty supporting themselves because of it. The setup varies by state but if you search for the process in your state, I believe that's a good starting point. Voc rehab has been an excellent resource, even with adults who struggle to get a driver's license because of a learning difference. I have also seen people get training for professions, job coaching, help once they're in a job. A family member of a friend has epilepsy and told me her job coach even helped make sure she was able to get to work via public transportation. The voc rehab coach also served as a point of contact for job issues, so she was able to stay on a job for a long time. Before vocational rehab, she said she changed jobs frequently because of her health and she didn't know her rights, couldn't resolve conflicts like scheduling that didn't take her special needs into consideration.

I believe your daughter has a lot of good things going for her - good with kids, hard worker, saves money, caring family. I believe you can help her find her place.

Please feel free to send me a private message if there's anything else I might be able to help with. I wish you and your daughter the very best!

Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
A possible job suggestion would be to look to the schools near you and apply for a paraprofessional position. With her background working in a preschool, that might get her an interview. Pay is going to be a bit better than a preschool but she could at least get raises and benefits there.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:41 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I agree with getting her evaluated on various levels, and skills-assessed. Did you say she's Bipolar? Or OCD? That needs to be evaluated definitively, and treated. If she's Bipolar, she'd be eligible for Social Security Disability, and subsidized housing, but it sounds like she doesn't want that.

There are Vocational Rehabilitation offices in every state that are part of a federal program. They are also for the disabled. They can arrange for a variety of evaluations for your daughter, all free. It needs to be determined how high she's capable of functioning, and some employment goals can be tailored to that. If she's not capable of earning enough money to pay rent, they could figure out what kind of support she'd be eligible for. They can also arrange for meetings with an expert on Social Security Disability qualifications, if it comes to that.

FYI, OP, to get a teacher's certificate, a course in statistics is required (this doesn't apply to early childhood work on the CC level), and it's very challenging. So even if she'd pursued a BA with a teaching certif., she would have ended up disappointed and frustrated in the end. The early childhood thing sounds more doable: the K and pre-K certif. I wonder if she could go back and finish it, with proper support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education