Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,270,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Now to me that is a legitimate conversation we should be having -- whether the economy and world has simply changed so much at a basic four year education should be free just as school is today. And before someone goes there, yes, I know "free" means someone has to pay for it -- the question is whether it is of greater benefit to the nation as a whole or not.

I am reaching the point that I would support free college through four years, but only for those that met certain academic qualifications (say upper 30% GPA or >25 ACT or something) so they could handle the material. I think it will be a national security issue to have a less educated populace in the future.
I think we have already committed to that...just don't realize it yet. We have set up an unsustainable loan system. And we knew that otherwise we would not have blocked bankruptcy. So now that begins to crash and that is combined with an Administration that does not want to deal with all this.

So where to? Block grants to the states sufficient to pay a good part of the college tuition with some singificant state contribution.

I would also agree to some screening giving likely successful completion of the degree...but leave it to the states. Just make sure they have enough skin in the game that they care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:42 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,176,762 times
I work at a college.

At least half of student loan money does not come to us, it stays with the students & they use it for their living expenses. Probably more, since tuition at my college runs about 2000 a term, full freight on a full load. Well less than a Pell Grant award.

Obviously room and board more than doubles the price.

We would save a CONSIDERABLE amount of tax money on higher Ed if we just paid tuition directly to the school & let the students figure out how to pay their living expenses on their own.

Last edited by redguard57; 11-24-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 09:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,419,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I work at a college.

At least half of student loan money does not come to us, it stays with the students & they use it for their living expenses. Probably more, since tuition at my college runs about 2000 a term, full freight on a full load. Well less than a Pell Grant award.

Obviously room and board more than doubles the price.

We would save a CONSIDERABLE amount of tax money on higher Ed if we just paid tuition directly to the school & let the students figure out how to pay their living expenses on their own.
They have figured out how to pay those expenses by borrowing money! This fits in with what many of us have said about these students who claim to have "worked their way through" by living at home. It's more than just the tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education