Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is such a huge straw man that it's beyond ridiculous to throw out there. I guess you think anyone who lives somewhere you don't is just a hillbilly hick. Uh, yuh, yuh, yuh, we'uns' is sureeee lucky to has reeley smart folks to tell us how ig-no-rant we is.

Because that's what you really believe isn't it? That the provincials need their betters to tell them how to think.

Funny, I grew up in an era where we had prayer in schools, but it didn't stop teaching science, including evolution. In fact no class ever tried to teach "creationism" in school. Now I'm not saying our science classes were very good, but that had nothing to do with religion and more to do with teacher quality, but that's a different thread.

You know, I'd love it if they taught those Native American views in a religion class in school. Would do kids and adults wonders to see the various religions taught in a respectful manner.

But I for one am very tired of these straw man religious arguments being thrown out to derail any real discussion on educational improvement and local vs Federal control.
My experience on this forum is that when someone calls something a "straw man", it really just means it's something they don't agree with. And then they usually follow it with a lot of foolish ridicule...like your first paragraph. Your viewpoint is no more sacred than anyone else's viewpoint here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have zero confidence in the federal government doing anything worthwhile other than defense. Delegate to the states education, we wont all sink together as we hvae been with high cost of low results in education. If money was the solution we would be on top.
Perhaps you're not aware that the states do wield the real power in education...not the federal government.

In 20 years of school administration, the number of times the feds paid any attention to my school was once when a parent filed a sped complaint. Otherwise, all of our dealings were with the local school board and the state ed department.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps you're not aware that the states do wield the real power in education...not the federal government.

In 20 years of school administration, the number of times the feds paid any attention to my school was once when a parent filed a sped complaint. Otherwise, all of our dealings were with the local school board and the state ed department.
The Feds did have some impact. I would think NCLB drove education over the last decade. Really screwed things up in operations but actually provided a whole lot of truth to the system... We really did well in many systems by accentuating the average and good and ignoring the bad. NCLB made that clear and created havoc. Godd old Bush overturned the apple cart.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The Feds did have some impact. I would think NCLB drove education over the last decade. Really screwed things up in operations but actually provided a whole lot of truth to the system... We really did well in many systems by accentuating the average and good and ignoring the bad. NCLB made that clear and created havoc. Godd old Bush overturned the apple cart.
I quite disagree with your assessment of NCLB.

I never thought Bush was Godd.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:26 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Will eliminating the DOE have an impact on Special Ed mandates?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Here's What Would Actually Happen If Rand Paul Eliminated The ...
https://thinkprogress.org/heres-what...n-if-rand-paul...

That link explains that there would be no agency overseeing that states are not violating Civil Rights.

If we leave education to the states,things might become unequal.

I did not realize it was the DOE that shut down ITT Tech and Corinthian College.

Who would monitor ineffective for profit colleges?

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 11-14-2016 at 12:46 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 04:10 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Here's What Would Actually Happen If Rand Paul Eliminated The ...
https://thinkprogress.org/heres-what...n-if-rand-paul...

That link explains that there would be no agency overseeing that states are not violating Civil Rights.

If we leave education to the states,things might become unequal.

I did not realize it was the DOE that shut down ITT Tech and Corinthian College.

Who would monitor ineffective for profit colleges?
The Ed Dept. did not technically "shut down" ITT Tech. It just said, based on its investigations, that they no longer met the criteria to receive FAFSA money.

ITT Tech shut down because they did not actually have ANY full-freight paying students - they were completely dependent on financial aid.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Department of Education has as much to do with education as the Department of Agriculture has to do with Agriculture. You are not eating because there is an Ag Department in Washington. We landed a man on the moon without an education department, imagine that.
Good point.

I graduated high school in 1978 yet there was no Dept of Education until 1979.

Still, even Reagan didn't abolish the Department when it was practically brand new, and he had won both of his elections by a popular landslide. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Trump to abolish it.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Department of Education has as much to do with education as the Department of Agriculture has to do with Agriculture. You are not eating because there is an Ag Department in Washington. We landed a man on the moon without an education department, imagine that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Good point.

I graduated high school in 1978 yet there was no Dept of Education until 1979.

Still, even Reagan didn't abolish the Department when it was practically brand new, and he had won both of his elections by a popular landslide. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Trump to abolish it.
At those times, 1969 (moon landing) and 1978, there was a department of Health, Education and Welfare. In early 1980, Carter split education off into its own department.

"A previous Department of Education was created in 1867 but was soon demoted to an Office in 1868.[5][6] As an agency not represented in the president's cabinet, it quickly became a relatively minor bureau in the Department of the Interior. In 1939, the bureau was transferred to the Federal Security Agency, where it was renamed the Office of Education. In 1953, the Federal Security Agency was upgraded to cabinet-level status as the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...t_of_Education

It has long been presumed that the federal government has some role in educational services.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
At those times, 1969 (moon landing) and 1978, there was a department of Health, Education and Welfare. In early 1980, Carter split education off into its own department.
Ah yes, the HEW. Everybody knew the initials. Somewhere along the line, Democrats decided it is better to hide the welfare part. Interestingly, health, education and welfare never recovered after the department was created. They think they can fix things by renaming them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education