Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM

20,103 posts, read 16,074,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
No point in this discussion. Politicians love standardized testing, and so it will continue to be here no matter what.
Yeah, I know. The only way it is going to change is if parents start rebelling, demand their child be exempted from testing, and write nasty letters to the politicans that are elected in their precinct, whether local, state, or national.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,304,285 times
Default Standardized vs. Excessive

A limited amount of standardized testing serves the learning process well. However, my observation is that "standardized testing" is newspeak for "excessive testing."

Does excessive testing benefit or hurt students? Excessive testing results in less time learning, so the effect upon our kids is negative.

A day or two of an annual standardized tests, I could live with. Retesting over and over and over again, forget about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:41 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,104,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I think it should be mandatory but only at age 3 and beyond.

Infants and toddlers are able to learn as well, but I do not think it needs to be mandatory for infant and toddlers
Oh HECK no!! I am a preschool teacher and I would NEVER support mandatory preschool for all! OMG! I would prefer if half-day Kindergarten was still an option in public school!

My kids all went to 3 or 4 hour preschool, a few days a week (1 to 4) for a couple of years (1.5-3 years each.) That was MORE than enough to socialize and prepare them for Kindergarten. In school, they have all been praised for being kind, well-rounded, and quick and eager learners. They were praised in preschool for the same qualities. We live in Georgia and intentionally chose NOT to do lottery-funded pre-K. For MY family it's too long of day for such young children. I wanted more time with them.

Who would decide how long these little ones would be away from their parents each day? And for how many days? I have not seen a single study that shows preschool provides ANY measurable benefit for kids solidly in the middle class and above.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh HECK no!! I am a preschool teacher and I would NEVER support mandatory preschool for all! OMG! I would prefer if half-day Kindergarten was still an option in public school!

My kids all went to 3 or 4 hour preschool, a few days a week (1 to 4) for a couple of years (1.5-3 years each.) That was MORE than enough to socialize and prepare them for Kindergarten. In school, they have all been praised for being kind, well-rounded, and quick and eager learners. They were praised in preschool for the same qualities. We live in Georgia and intentionally chose NOT to do lottery-funded pre-K. For MY family it's too long of day for such young children. I wanted more time with them.

Who would decide how long these little ones would be away from their parents each day? And for how many days? I have not seen a single study that shows preschool provides ANY measurable benefit for kids solidly in the middle class and above.

K is half day here unless the students are zoned for a title 1 school. Tit'll 1 school's have full day. However at last check K was not required in VA.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:06 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,104,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
K is half day here unless the students are zoned for a title 1 school. Tit'll 1 school's have full day. However at last check K was not required in VA.
Yes, I should have specified that I want half-day Kindergarten to still be an option in my district/state. I know it still exists elsewhere. A few years ago, I remember being baffled in a conversation with some friends who live in the Midwest as to why they wouldn't choose half-day Kindergarten since that was an option for them. Their reasoning: the second half had to be paid for, so only the poor kids did the free half-day Kindergarten

Old 12-03-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
They aren't but the mandatory age to attend school is 5, which more or less means Kindergarten is mandated. We have full day kindergarten here.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,750,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
For what it's worth, while the research is mixed, some studies have shown that children that attend daycare later experience more behavior problems in elementary school. Further research has indicated that outcome does vary depending on various extraneous variables, such as whether the programs are structured or unstructured, parental influence, teacher quality, among others. But, just so you are aware, programs that do not primarily allow free exploration and that force academics are not on the positive list.

The way I interpreted the research that I've read is that kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and troubled homes benefited significantly later in life by attending quality daycare and preschool - mostly because the environment was more structured and nurturing than what they were getting at home. As OP works in an impoverished and rural environment, this may be her experience.

Kids from higher socioeconomic backgrounds with highly educated parents had children that either fared the same or did better by being "homeschooled" for preschool. Because they basically got preschool at home.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 PM

308 posts, read 266,245 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong with standardized testing. It's what we do with the scores and outcomes that is the real issue. For example, if teachers' pay becomes tied to the outcomes, then regardless of any freedom on curriculum, teachers will "teach the test." On the other hand, if the outcomes are used, for example, to place high achievers in more appropriate-level classrooms, then where is the harm in that? Or if the state has a goal of ensuring all 8th graders are prepared for algebra, then a standardized test will reveal whether or not students are in fact ready for the subject. How else are we to assess the readiness of students in an objective way?

It seems to me your concern is more with how the tests outcomes are used, and not the actual tests themselves. (If not, then it should be.)

Old 12-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with standardized testing. It's what we do with the scores and outcomes that is the real issue. For example, if teachers' pay becomes tied to the outcomes, then regardless of any freedom on curriculum, teachers will "teach the test." On the other hand, if the outcomes are used, for example, to place high achievers in more appropriate-level classrooms, then where is the harm in that? Or if the state has a goal of ensuring all 8th graders are prepared for algebra, then a standardized test will reveal whether or not students are in fact ready for the subject. How else are we to assess the readiness of students in an objective way?

It seems to me your concern is more with how the tests outcomes are used, and not the actual tests themselves. (If not, then it should be.)
I am concerned that the last year I taught fulltime my middle school students had 1050 minutes of mandated testing a year and that did not include the district mandated tests and checks. Or my classroom tests. That is far, far, far too much.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am concerned that the last year I taught fulltime my middle school students had 1050 minutes of mandated testing a year and that did not include the district mandated tests and checks. Or my classroom tests. That is far, far, far too much.
That's 17.5 hours, and seems excessive. Where did you teach if you don't mind my asking. We don't do that much here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education