Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

Would you wear a mohawk to a job interview?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
And, this has what to do with a kid in Kindergarten???

Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM

604 posts, read 1,185,630 times
Quote:
Maybe.
Would you consent to a pre-employment psychiatric evaluation?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, this has what to do with a kid in Kindergarten???
Because kids learn early on what is expected of them. As an employer I've seen plenty of things to make me go, hmmmmmm. These are people coming in and expect to be taken seriously yet are dressed like they rolled out of bed, have not met a brush/comb in days maybe weeks. They DO learn early on exactly what is proper attire for each circumstance and event. For the parents that let their kids be "free to express themselves" no matter what and what rules they knowingly know it breaks are teaching their kids that no one else matters. Rules are rules and we have rules of dress in our business and we expect them to be adhered to.

As for the distraction part............ I'm going to safely assume many of you don't have daughters that are middle school or high school age as of yet or have in the last 5-10 years. Sorry but some girl dressed like she should be out hooking sitting in a classroom full of hormonal boys IS a HUGE distraction. Try fighting the battles that we fight daily over teaching our daughters how to dress properly so as not to look like a tramp.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's kind of amusing to see the "no wonder our schools are going to Hell, they're worried about stupid stuff like this" comments. Educational quality and dress/grooming/appearance standards have tracked together (namely, downward), not in an inverse ratio. I'm not saying that the relaxed standards has led to the lower educational standards, but I'm also not so quick to dismiss the idea that there is a relationship between the two, spurious though it may be.

And spare me the "kids should be allowed to express themselves" argument. I seriously doubt any kindergartener says to himself, "gee I'd love a mohawk!" This child is not expressing himself. He's expressing his parent(s) and their childish rebelliousness.

And to said parent(s), I pose the question: is it so important that you be allowed to send your kid to school with a mohawk that you're willing to use him as a pawn in your fight against authority? Cut the kid's hair, get him back in the classroom where he belongs, and give a little more thought to which battles you choose to fight and how you fight them. There's no prize in winning a fight when everyone on both sides are being stubborn idiots over an ultimately meaningless issue, and you have no business putting your kid in the middle of such a fight.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! So true, so true, so true.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 AM

221 posts, read 994,063 times
YES! I agree with all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Because kids learn early on what is expected of them. They DO learn early on exactly what is proper attire for each circumstance and event. For the parents that let their kids be "free to express themselves" no matter what and what rules they knowingly know it breaks are teaching their kids that no one else matters. Rules are rules and we have rules of dress in our business and we expect them to be adhered to.

As for the distraction part............ I'm going to safely assume many of you don't have daughters that are middle school or high school age as of yet or have in the last 5-10 years. Sorry but some girl dressed like she should be out hooking sitting in a classroom full of hormonal boys IS a HUGE distraction. Try fighting the battles that we fight daily over teaching our daughters how to dress properly so as not to look like a tramp.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Totally ridiculous!!!

My 12 year old grand daughter has been suspended for, get this " Public display of affection" She and a classmate were caught hugging and giving each other a kiss on the cheek....she's been ill with Epstein Barr and I'm sure it was a friend comforting another....I told her mother to get to that school and kick some butt

Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM

A child mending from an injury/wearing glasses/braces is NOT a child purposely coming to school looking like that to get attention and fulfill some demented parent's idea of "expression" for their kindergartener. If parents want their six year old to look like that- keep them home and teach them there, all about how society is so cruel to expect you to conform to anything you don't want to do. You want to look like a clown, join the circus, but stay out of my classroom.

I'm quite happy to teach in a school that has high standards and rules that are enforced. Again, if the parents do not want to comply- go somewhere else, where your child can wear/do whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A 5 or 6 year old child breaking his arm and wearing a cast to school could render the day completely impossible to learn (it happened in my 1st grade class!). Should we not allow kids to come to school in a cast? Or new glasses? Or heck, even missing a tooth? Those things all cause distractions for young kids. So would making a fuss about one student's haircut.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Not if you wanted the job.

Quote:

Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm all for uniforms. I wish my son's school would do it. I get tired of fighting over clothes everyday! He's wanted a mohawk forever and I just won't give in. I don't like them. But the kindergartner should NOT have been suspended for having one. That's just my preference.
Different parenting styles for different people, but...what's the issue with the hair? It's one minor area that a child can have some feeling of control over their environment. Something uniquely them. No matter what they want to do with it, it's always going to grow out. Unlike a piercing or a tattoo, hair is a wonderful way for a kid to express themselves without permanently changing anything.

Both my kids always had the ability to choose exactly what they wanted to do with their hair. After all, they're the ones that have to wear it, not me. And it made them feel good about themselves to have that control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education