Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Link?

I have seen many parents of special education children withdraw them from school to homeschool especially when the schools are not meeting the children's needs. I don't know how many parents do this, but I don't think you can say they are rarely homeschooled.

https://www.hslda.org/strugglinglearner/sn_states.asp
Well, I can't find a link. I was going by my experience. I worked in a pediatrician's office that had a lot of home schooling patients, and I do not recall any, in 11 years of working there, who were special needs. That's not to say we didn't have special needs kids; they were all in public or private religious schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, I can't find a link. I was going by my experience. I worked in a pediatrician's office that had a lot of home schooling patients, and I do not recall any, in 11 years of working there, who were special needs. That's not to say we didn't have special needs kids; they were all in public or private religious schools.
Perhaps in your area, the schools actually do well with special needs children. In lots of places though that is not the case or parents have to fight for services and get really tired of doing it, so they homeschool instead.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Link?

I have seen many parents of special education children withdraw them from school to homeschool especially when the schools are not meeting the children's needs. I don't know how many parents do this, but I don't think you can say they are rarely homeschooled.

https://www.hslda.org/strugglinglearner/sn_states.asp
Many? Then I think you are in a unique place, because in 20 years of being an administrator in a school with a fairly large special ed department, that never happened even once.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Many? Then I think you are in a unique place, because in 20 years of being an administrator in a school with a fairly large special ed department, that never happened even once.
You *may* be in a place where the school district meets the children's needs. We are currently considering pulling our 6th grader with autism because starting last year in 5th grade, the district has not been doing well for him.

I am talking of people from many different districts on babycenter.com on the autism board, not just myself. I can't speak to your particular district, but a lot of people are having a lot of trouble getting special needs children a good education and thus they can and do homeschool or end up having the district pay for a private school (another option we are thinking about).

Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You *may* be in a place where the school district meets the children's needs. We are currently considering pulling our 6th grader with autism because starting last year in 5th grade, the district has not been doing well for him.

I am talking of people from many different districts on babycenter.com on the autism board, not just myself. I can't speak to your particular district, but a lot of people are having a lot of trouble getting special needs children a good education and thus they can and do homeschool or end up having the district pay for a private school (another option we are thinking about).
How are you defining "many"? What percent?

Old 12-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How are you defining "many"? What percent?
I don't know the percent. Just that there are plenty of people with special needs children who are trying it. Homeschooling is not a big percentage of the total schooling in the US and special needs would be less because parents find it difficult.

Pre-K 3 special needs homeschool?? - BabyCenter

Special Needs Homeschooling - BabyCenter

100+ Reasons to Homeschool - BabyCenter

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a64139638

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a61181272

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a64592830

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a58624672

Quote:
Welcome to the board, there are quite a few of us who homeschool children on the spectrum or with various disabilities.

You can totally do this! Also *raspberry* at that DR I had that myself. One Ped I saw went so far as to call the special unit and I had an awkward conversation with them when they called me by surprise at home.

Homeschooling children with special needs is challenging and I can fully understand people using the school system. Do remember it doesn't have to be forever though. If you give it a year and really can't stand it the school system is always there to use.
Quote:
My son also suffered emotionally from being in ps first grade. I had appointments to have he reevaluated with the neurophsych and with his pediatrician. I was looking into getting him back into ABA therapy. He had refused into some classic autistic behaviors.

As it turned out, all I had to do was stop sending him to school.
Quote:
I suggest you connect with your local homeschool group. Go ahead and join. There are bound to be several folks in the homeschool group with ASD children who are successfully homeschooling with supportive therapists on their side. Try to find a homeschool group that openly accepts special needs kids as they are likely to be more welcoming and understanding of what you are dealing with. Although, most homeschoolers are very welcoming because many of their kids just didn't fit the public school mold for one reason or another, so there is a mutual understanding and compassion there. At any rate, your local seasoned homeschoolers will be a wealth of information for supportive doctors and therapists, as well as a great network of friends for your child and yourself.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Words like "many" and "plenty" have no real meaning in a discussion such as this one.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I looked at an elementary photo of my class from the oh, so long ago. There were 22+ teacher (or was it 32+ teacher?). I learned very well in public schools and went on to graduate with honors from my public university.

My husband had class sizes of 25-30 in elementary school and he did fine, too (in the much heralded Japanese school system, I might add). He has two university degrees, one completed in Japanese and one in English. He is bilingual and I am multilingual.

As taxpayers, we will fight tooth and nail those who seek to get taxpayer funding to significantly reduce class sizes as you suggest, and we are Democrats.

If you want such small classes (and they are neither needed nor better), then you can just pay the full freight for doing so.

Ridiculous!

"Note that some of the countries with some of the world’s highest achieving student bodies — like Korea and Japan — have the biggest class sizes" from The New York Times . http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...he-world/?_r=0
First, I do "pay the full freight" for my own kids, as we have opted out of the public school system.

Second, I don't think the USA wants to emulate the eastern asians when it comes to education. The Asian culture is collectivist, and the American culture is not. The teaching styles are completely different. There's really no comparison.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
There are a lot of homeschoolers who have children with special needs. Perhaps not very severe special needs, but learning disabilities, mild autism, absolutely. The same special needs you'd see in a regular classroom.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:43 PM

64 posts, read 39,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
How does this answer the question?

EdX
It states the truth - that there is not a single universal answer to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education