Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can technology replace most teachers in 20 years?
Yes, it may happen 9 26.47%
No, it may not happen 25 73.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:13 AM

36 posts, read 26,173 times

Advertisements

A lot of education can be automated, but a lot of it cannot (with current technology). Teachers are not going anywhere in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I can see blended education models increasingly coming into favor where teachers take on more of a facilitator role in rooms with students working for large chunks of time on computers, but I don't see a scenario where computers outright replace teachers.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been discussed for 40 years or more. I think teaching is one of those fields that can't be automated. Some aspects of teaching can and have been automated, but you're always going to need a human, especially for kids.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
It could because of the use of SmartBoards and Chromebooks.
Who still uses smart Boards??

They are an example of what is wrong with tech in schools.

Anything you do with a smartboard can be done with an iPad and for exponentially cheaper. The best example of this is the racket that is TI calculators.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I can see blended education models increasingly coming into favor where teachers take on more of a facilitator role in rooms with students working for large chunks of time on computers, but I don't see a scenario where computers outright replace teachers.
My classroom is flipped, which is what you appear to be describing above. The irony is some see this as a step towards automation, but if anything it is a step away from it. Yes, the tech exists to take lecture to an electronic platform (thought my lectures are all self made) but there is no way to take the application and discussion out of the classroom in a meaningful way, and I say that having taught several sections of classes completely online as a college adjunct.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:55 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Who still uses smart Boards??

They are an example of what is wrong with tech in schools.

Anything you do with a smartboard can be done with an iPad and for exponentially cheaper. The best example of this is the racket that is TI calculators.
We do, they're already paid for.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:59 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We do, they're already paid for.
We do too.

How much would it cost to equip each child with an iPad? That'$ not going to happen any time soon where I am.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We do too.

How much would it cost to equip each child with an iPad? That'$ not going to happen any time soon where I am.
You don't need an ipad for each child, just one for the teacher, equipped with something like Doceri.

If you have one great, but buying them now, when a single ipad can do what they do but also so much more is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about the technology issues in schools.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb What we REALLY need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
My belief is yes. The crucial factor is exponentiation which Ray Kurzweil says can occur in any industry and is exploding in technology as we speak.

I'm including an article that looks at this phenomenon. I'm doing a poll on this very important topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eachers-google

EdX
Is to replace overpaid CEOs, executives, and board of directors members with computers. No overinflated salaries and lavish perks. Computers don't demand big annual bonuses just for doing their jobs, either.

Cut the fat where it's fattest.

Oh, yeah...

Darn those teachers with their '05 Nissans and their $30K retirements, anyway.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:54 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Education is a pencil and paper business. We would save more money by eliminating computers from our facilities. Leaving room only for Grades and Attendance system.

If I remember correctly we had this thing before the "female secretary" called an office boy ( see "Bartleby, the Scrivener" ). Nowadays we call him/her the office intern. By eliminating the expensive networking system we could create a new job.

People work much faster in all fields without the computer. We are just slowing down society all together. Don't you get annoyed to see somebody in a classroom keep looking on there phone. Even at dinner parties.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You don't need an ipad for each child, just one for the teacher, equipped with something like Doceri.

If you have one great, but buying them now, when a single ipad can do what they do but also so much more is exactly what I am talking about when I talk about the technology issues in schools.
Maybe, that works for you in the high school, but the smartboard is a fantastic tool with little kids. The software includes various game formats and methods for creating original interactive lessons that you can't do with an ipad or powerpoint. There is so much variation that it never seems redundant for the little ones. With little hands and fingers the big board is so much easier for them to use than a small ipad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education