Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

There are private schools that partner with universities or private colleges, and combine HS with college in a way that allows them to do HS and college in a total of 6 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Homeschooling! That is how to ensure kids get a better education but they can usually finish high school much earlier too. Most parents if they care about their kids can handle homeschooling - they just may not realize it yet.

Governments (and I know a lot of parents approve and/or want the extra babysitting services) keep extending the early years - wanting kids to go earlier and earlier - and for most kids, I don't think that makes much if any difference and may be a big drawback.

I hope you're not insinuating that because some parents feel that their children would benefit better from going to a public rather than be home schooled that we don't care about our children?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm a teacher, and a parent, I'm good. Yes there are programs but not enough and not every student who should, or wants entry, can gain entry.

FYI, just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it's not so.
I too am a parent and I've been studying school issues for 25+ years for the League of Women Voters. I have to say that I am speaking for myself here.

My district has long had a Vo-tech program. There is a house in my neighborhood that was designed and built in part by the HS Vo-tech students.

What do you teach and what grade level(s)?

Old 12-08-2016, 09:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I grew up with a vocational tech school available to kids in HS and there's an excellent one where I live in another state. I think what needs to change is our societies perception of kids that attend the tech schools. The tech school associated with our HS is excellent but kids that attend it are STILL thought to be somehow not good enough for college. When we as a society respect people that work with their hands as much as we do people that work "white collar" jobs, that's when the tech schools will take off like they should.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I know of no school district that has a policy that "everyone should go to college" or however you want to state it. The latest buzzphrase seems to be "college and career ready". My district has exactly what TabulaRasa's has re: vocational education. I suggest you look at what your district has to offer before thinking they don't have any such thing.

It may not be a "policy" but it is a result of how school is managed. Our district has very minimal vo-tech type courses to offer. The ones they do offer are primarily the white collar side of vocational work (CAD/CAM, and IT related courses). But nothing like auto mechanics, carpentry, and other trades. The old shop area has been converted to classrooms and second gym. This is unlike when I was in school when there was a distinct vo-tech track in the high school and even a specific vo-tech high school for those who were really focused on a trade career.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
"To paraphrase the failed Bush education reform policy, which worsened the problem by emphasizing rote memorization, nearly every American child is being left behind."
Just because they're left behind doesn't mean the policies failed. More likely the schools failed to competently adopt the policies and make them work.

If some children should be left behind, that should be an explicit tenet of the policies, not an evaded issue becoming the "elephant in the room."

If rote memorization is the problem, that problem should be explained in better terms than that someone doesn't like it.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I think the premise of this thread is flawed. American students score worse on standardized exams compared to students in other countries as they grow older. That much we know. It's simplistic, however, to automatically assume that the main factor here is differences in educational systems.
We need our education system to adapt to our society. A society in which way too many parents don't care much about their children's education. We need to motivate students to work hard, even when their parents are lazy bums, or the opposite, have too many jobs, trying to stay afloat, to have time for their children. We don't put enough thought, and enough effort, into how to accomplish such motivation.

The reason why we need to give students lots of rote work is because our teachers don't really have the competence for anything more sophisticated. If we don't give them rote work, we don't educate them at all. People with a lot of rote work, who do it successfully, tend to educate themselves, when their teachers neglect it. The rote work, done successfully, motivates them to go beyond it.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bill Gates is seeing kids in countries where they generally put you in tracks by the time you get to high school so the only high school kids he sees doing academic work are the ones they have been allowed to continue to do so.

If you want to try that system here, I think you will end up shortchanging a lot of people who are smart enough to do the academic track but may be uninspired by the current system.

Then again, kids might not take the schooling for granted if they know they have to earn their way into college or even into a decent high school program.
Tracking has cycled in and out of vogue at different times in the U.S. as well.

There have also always been students who have the capability of performing academically at the college level, but lack the interest/motivation to pursue that route.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
We need our education system to adapt to our society. A society in which way too many parents don't care much about their children's education. We need to motivate students to work hard, even when their parents are lazy bums, or the opposite, have too many jobs, trying to stay afloat, to have time for their children. We don't put enough thought, and enough effort, into how to accomplish such motivation.
Who is "we?"

Educators have a student for a year, generally, and it's unrealistic to assume that they'll have as profound an influence as family members. "We" can only do what's realistically in our scope of influence, and parental influence, for better AND for worse, dwarfs that. We have an impact, yes, b UT obviously not nearly the impact family has. It's also unrealistic to expect educators to successfully pseudo-parent literally 100+ students who may cross their path in a given academic year, and ensure the motivation that's not being fostered in the home.

Quote:
The reason why we need to give students lots of rote work is because our teachers don't really have the competence for anything more sophisticated.
This is a baseless claim.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I all but "slept" through a Catholic parochial high school, getting very low grades, hardly passing. I even dropped out, at one point, in the 10th grade, but returned, forced into it by my parents.

Then? I somehow made it into a 2-year college, and I surprised all those that deemed me a failure, by getting my first A's and B's, and getting a scholarship. I found it all to be much more stimulating, perhaps due to the Professors I had.

My parents only had 8th grade educations, and they did quite well for themselves.

I think we all recognize, in some way, things need to change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education