Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 04:07 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times

Advertisements

She was tested and her reading was at 8th grade ( being able to read those big words up to 8th grade level) but her spelling, grammar and writing was at third grade level.

She struggles to read novel at 5th grade level and getting really confused with the grammar and what the story is about!! But she can read the words okay.

Would ESL be better for her or program to bring her spelling, grammar and writing up to 8th grade?A GED may be okay for some one that drop out school but being that weak could be major problem getting GED or high school diploma.

Also what novels and books would be good for grade 3 and 4th grade level of English? How can you force her to speak English at home that would help her and be fun?

She will like to go to college and take sociology, liberal arts and psychology!! But there is lot of reading, writing and essay in those subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It sounds like she needs some intermediate and advanced ESL classes, before getting a GED.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:02 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Well.... This is a tough question. For one, after 3 yrs in ESL I found them to be pretty much useless. But I came with English. Now, for my wife, who came with none, it was some help. But, then again, she was super motivated to get good education and clenched her teeth and worked nights and went to college in few years after migration. Was very tough but she made it through.
What REALLY helped her was to take her out of very same nationality state/environment and toss her into real life+work in TN, where that was null. That is when her English skyrocketed.
You may show this to your friend:
Надо идти в среду!
You need to immerse into the environment, specifically - linguistic environment.
Ultimately, who really cares if she can read, or you can, big worded books? Life cares if you can and are willing to work. Ask my wife now. They have a Chinese dissent DOCTOR on the floor that no one can understand. But he's a doctor and good one.
Dat's it.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
She was tested and her reading was at 8th grade ( being able to read those big words up to 8th grade level) but her spelling, grammar and writing was at third grade level.

She struggles to read novel at 5th grade level and getting really confused with the grammar and what the story is about!! But she can read the words okay.

Would ESL be better for her or program to bring her spelling, grammar and writing up to 8th grade?A GED may be okay for some one that drop out school but being that weak could be major problem getting GED or high school diploma.

Also what novels and books would be good for grade 3 and 4th grade level of English? How can you force her to speak English at home that would help her and be fun?

She will like to go to college and take sociology, liberal arts and psychology!! But there is lot of reading, writing and essay in those subjects.
What's the background of her English schooling?
If she is having problems with English grammar, ESL classes are waste of time.
They might work for "boat people," but for Russians they are giving exactly this kind of the "third grade level" knowledge of English. That's because they need to be explained the differences of the grammar structure between their own language and English. Otherwise after learning the initial words and phrases, they don't know how to proceed and to build English sentences themselves.
These differences in the grammar structure need to be explained to them step by step in their own language, then they can learn. ( Particularly if she is looking into academic studies.)

Old 12-31-2016, 01:23 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
There is a speech program that revolves around that. In my opinion the ESL would be on route to
the College writing entrance exam. I must admit I became a great writer for awhile.

A GED would be testing your over all knowledge of high school with some minors removed. She would only be able to access community college where she would have to transfer or graduate before moving on to a senior college.

She would need to go through something called a speech session and conference program.
Usually they would go through the ESL program as they would have the highschool equivalence portion already. IDK why she would take the GED route. If their is a good reason for that please
tell me.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
There is a speech program that revolves around that. In my opinion the ESL would be on route to
the College writing entrance exam. I must admit I became a great writer for awhile.

A GED would be testing your over all knowledge of high school with some minors removed. She would only be able to access community college where she would have to transfer or graduate before moving on to a senior college.

She would need to go through something called a speech session and conference program.
Usually they would go through the ESL program as they would have the highschool equivalence portion already. IDK why she would take the GED route. If their is a good reason for that please
tell me.
Is it program where you talk to it and the computer software translates it to English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post

tell me.

To improve her spelling what would help her the best? Reading a novel first grade than second grade so on, all to 8th grade? Or a spelling workbook first grade than second grade so on, to 8th grade?

Or level one 500 common words, level two 1,000 common words, level three 5,000 common words, level four 10,000 common words an average vocabulary of most Americans.

I'm thinking getting her to read novel and master common words level one to four will be better way than getting spelling workbook?

Old 01-01-2017, 06:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post

Maybe someone could explain to her that these (presumably B.A./B.S. level) degrees have no practical value and will not change the trajectory of her life except amass student loan debt? If she goes to college something in medical sciences or engineering would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education