Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,604 times

Advertisements

my daughter would not have argued...and let me tell you - if that was my child....heads would roll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times
This incident happened in Brunswick County, NC.
Here is a clip from the news:

WECT TV6 - WECT.com - Wilmington, NC news and weather - Bathroom Rights in Brunswick County Elementary Schools

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Unbelievable.
How is it that something so simple as being allowed to go to the bathroom has become such an issue?

This is a right the rest of us take for granted but children are denied it?

GOD HELP the teacher that puts my daughter through something like this.

My daughter is 11 and I am worried about her starting her period, I see huge problems on the horizon if the teacher isn't sensetive about the need to go to the bathroom.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what the investigation reveals. As with most things there are usually three sides to each story and I am hoping that there is a reasonable explanation. I was a bit confused from the news report. One sentence said that a teacher assistant was in charge of the class and another sentence said it was a teacher. Please give us an update Peg when the outcome is made public.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,864 times
I can see a child not saying anything - not all children are outgoing. What I can't see is a parent not raising holy --- with everyone from the Principal to the School Board.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times
The grandfather of the child feared going on camera for the news, he feared "retribution".......I think that unhealthy respect and fear may run in the family. The little boy was afraid to speak out, so is grandpa. I understand it, I have seen it in my own community. Whistleblowers pay dearly.

Silence only enables abuse to continue. There seems to be a group of parents in this community mobilizing and taking action to keep the environment safe and healthy for kids. I hope that they make some progress.

A great site about bathroom rights can be viewed at Child Advocate
The best point to me is that using the bathroom is a right, not a privilege.

Last edited by pegmomof4; 03-03-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Two questions.

1. Does anyone, besides me, wonder if this story is actually accurate?

2. Along with those thoughts....would any of your children just sit there and done nothing else?

None of my 3 girls (25, 21 and 10) would have ever just sat there. Most likely they would have been crying hysterically if they'd wet themselves at school at that age. That alone would have forced the teacher to take action. My older two would have gotten up and walked out of class and headed straight to the office. Maybe if we were talking Kindergarten/First grade, but by third grade they were all well aware of their needs and what to do about them.

Because of that....I have to wonder if the story is accurate as presented. I've been in child care for close to 20 years now and never ever had a child that age that simply did nothing when it came to potty issues.

Hard to say. The news story is definitely one sided at this point.

I recall a fellow student in my third grade class wetting her pants and sitting in it for hours, not because she was denied access, but just because she was too shy to ask permission to leave. She sat there so long that the urine soaked through the wooden seat and de-laminated the seat plywood.
I recall also having an accident myself in second grade because I thought I could hold it just a little longer and hear the rest of the story before I went to the bathroom during recess. My mistake. I really did not want to get up and go to recess after that, but the school had a nice assortment of clothing that was accumulated some how or other and I got some really ugly pants to wear the rest of the day. I was certainly humiliated by my accident, but nobody made any jokes about my plight. I do not recall anyone making fun of my third grade classmate for that matter. I know we were not exceptionally well behaved kids, cause I do rememer a whole lot of juvinile nicknames and intentional name calling back in those days.

I guess pee jokes were just too close to home for most second and third graders, at least in those days.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,604 times
ya know what though......it really doesn't matter what the different sides of the story are - he had an accident - fine - it happens.......but he sat in it ...thats where I have the problem.....there is absolutely no excuse for that. There isn't reason in the world that would make sense for that.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM

566 posts, read 603,813 times
This story is absolutely disgusting!! This should be considered child endangerment and child abuse!!!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
ya know what though......it really doesn't matter what the different sides of the story are - he had an accident - fine - it happens.......but he sat in it ...thats where I have the problem.....there is absolutely no excuse for that. There isn't reason in the world that would make sense for that.
I have no idea but perhaps he was afraid to tell and afraid to have his parent called and was hoping it would dry up and not be noticed? There are so many possibilities. I am not taking sides; it's just I have experienced so many situations like this in real life that I am cautious. Also, the media is always out to sell newspapers so I like to have all the facts before I believe anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education