Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,587 posts, read 57,536,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
If I had it to do again, I would appreciate all the free time I had in high school. Even with a full academic schedule and a part time job (and not infrequent detentions), I still had a lot more free time than I have ever had as an adult. ....
That is a very good point that I try to stress to kids today (My own took that advice! better 'work-/ school- life' than I could imagine

I spent most my time doing anything BUT school, but free time (and low responsibility) should have been cherished, as I was out of HS 3 weeks and became a FT caregiver for a disabled parent (for the next 32 yrs). THAT was an adjustment (for all). Then homeschooled and worked nights, so when the parent finally died, and kids were gone, I am (was) FREE!!!

NO never in my life would I repeat HS

Million things I would do different, but would never want to do OVER! Most miserable time was 'city-school' (After growing up in country school). What a waste. (I'm sure my teachers thought so too)

BEST thing!!!
Musical performances
(Chamber Orch / madrigal singers / jazz band, Broadway musicals + a 1 month music trip to the Eastern Block! Wow!!! I was LUCKY that I had to take choir cuz AG class was full)

I WOULD be a LOT nicer person to classmates and teachers (many who were very precious and now dead).

Ironically, I recently had a very good teacher friend who was killed on his bike by a txting previous student who he had poured 3 yrs to get to graduate. (Hit and Run) You just don't expect these things, but it is a very small world, and what-goes-around-can-come-around and bite you BAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM

33 posts, read 61,284 times
Get better grades and worker hard. But also, be a bit more carefree and stop worrying so much about my future. I think i missed out on a lot of the carefree fun teenage years because i could not wait to graduate and start my life. Looking back now, i wish i had enjoyed it more! As much as you can enjoy high school because it isn't easy!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,629,386 times
High school really ruined my self-esteem. Don't take AP and HP classes. I struggled while my classmates all got As, and I felt so stupid that I couldn't keep up. I felt so awful about myself that I couldn't get straight As.

Spend more effort in memorizing facts for history and government classes.

Basically work harder.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,327,822 times
I'd take the SAT early and go to college. I'd go to the engineering school in stead of liberal arts. HS for me was fun, but a waste of time.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times
Take my education more seriously and do work. I could have earned scholarships since tests came so easy to me and the fact I am an Eagle Scout.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,036,254 times
I would have opted for track over gymnastics as an extra-curricular. I loved gymnastics but I wasn't one of the best on the team, so was pretty much ignored. I think I could have done better with track.

I would have taken classes more seriously my last two years. I still graduated with a good GPA but it would have been excellent had I not slacked those two years. I probably would have had more scholarships.

I would have got contact lenses sooner so that I didn't look like a giant goofus with my 1980s large tinted glasses. Ugh, just the memory.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,705,890 times
What would I do differently?

Drop out SOONER!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,015,266 times
Taken more computer classes! Maybe I would have gotten more knowledge on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education