Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 PM

46 posts, read 54,546 times

Advertisements

I just got my son's Cogat testing results, and he tested extremely high. I'm not sure what to do with this information because he is my first child. I want to be an advocate for my son, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any resources they can share with me? Any steps I should take? Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Typically your child's teacher or school principal will contact you if they think your child should be in advanced placement classes. If you have questions I would contact his teacher and ask.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM

He is too young for advanced placement. He's in elementary school. The paperwork I received said that he should be placed in gifted and talented classes. Are there any organizations or groups I might be able to join that can help me navigate the GT track?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Here's a link to help interpret the results. Otherwise, talk to your school district and your child's teacher about where to go from here.
CogAt Profile | Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 PM

Thank you very much.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere View Post
He is too young for advanced placement. He's in elementary school. The paperwork I received said that he should be placed in gifted and talented classes. Are there any organizations or groups I might be able to join that can help me navigate the GT track?
That's going to be difficult because there are wide differences in GT resources in various school districts. And, even within districts, GT is an evolutionary process.

I would suggest for starters to simply start looking at various websites to learn a little more about what's out there.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
In our elementary school advanced placement starts in third grade. It may be different in your school district however. Definitely speak with your child's school. You don't want him getting bored because his classes are too easy.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
You can look at this website:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/reading_lists.htm

Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Check out the National Association for Gifted Children:

National Association for Gifted Children

Ask your district what kind of services they offer for gifted students. If you want, you can post their response here and someone can explain to what it means and make suggestions.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Although I don't think the OP is doing this, any parent of such a child also needs to maintain balance, and not go overboard.

Let me give you an example I have posted about before. One day a mother and father came in to meet with me (the principal) about how to best prepare their daughter for middle school, and particularly to be successful for gifted math with Mr. Warthog (obviously not his real name). As we talked, I got to thinking that some of the things they were saying seemed a bit odd. I finally asked, "How old is daughter?" She was 2. ! I said, "I think you need to prepare yourself for the worst. I imagine that, based on his age, Mr. Warthog will be retired by that time." If you wanted to see two crestfallen people, that would have been the classic moment. And indeed, Mr. Warthog did retire...the year before their daughter arrived at our school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education