Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It is when it is not the point of the class. What does animal slaughter have to do with PE? If I had a child in that class I would be asking why there was any classroom activity at all. PE is about physical activity, playing team sports and learning cooperation as a member of that team. Not about how many different ways an animal can be slaughtered.
Did you read the OP? She explains that in the third quarter of the school year, they went from the physical activities to health education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Did you read the OP? She explains that in the third quarter of the school year, they went from the physical activities to health education.
Exactly correct. In many school systems, PE class includes health. Often it's in the form of one semester of health, sometimes it's a day a week, there are a number of ways it is scheduled. I have also seen at least of system where health is, instead, included in 7th grade "life science" (biology).

Old 05-21-2017, 05:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Again... what does animal slaughter have to do with either class? Factory farming existed when I was in school in the 1980's and 1990's too, but none of my teachers had teaching about it as part of their classtoom agenda. And I took health class twice, in middle and high school, and not combined with PE. It was a completely separate class, as it should be.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Again... what does animal slaughter have to do with either class? Factory farming existed when I was in school in the 1980's and 1990's too, but none of my teachers had teaching about it as part of their classtoom agenda. And I took health class twice, in middle and high school, and not combined with PE. It was a completely separate class, as it should be.
You have a point that animal slaughter has little to do with health ed or PE. It's more of a sociology issue. But geez, I remember learning about factory farming back in the 60s when we studied the midwest. And as a couple of us have pointed out, some schools in areas where there is a meat-packing industry take field trips to the packing houses.

I don't know if there's a way health "should" be taught. It depends on the district.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-21-2017 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education