Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Don't know if it's applied to your area but a virus AND mumps have been running through Tennessee schools.
MUMPS? What happened, did they get a bad batch of vaccine 5 or 10 years ago?

Or are they vaccination deniers? I wouldn't have thought there would be that many vaccine-deniers in TN, of all places. Even if there were, I wouldn't have thought TN schools would let unvaccinated children even attend public school. It was illegal in my day without a pressing medical reason. A REAL reason, not idiot mythology about vaccines and autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
My aunt was 31 years old and a school teacher who died in that outbreak of 1918.

From what I read, they still have little info because as rapidly as that flu outbreak spread, it suddenly rapidly disappeared after taking a huge toll.
Yes, all sorts of theories, but no solid evidence. The outbreak did go on for more than a year though before suddenly disappearing.
1918 Flu Pandemic - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

Old 07-16-2021, 04:43 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
For some reason I remembered this thread today so I have have to ask:

Was this prescient or what?

Old 07-16-2021, 06:03 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For some reason I remembered this thread today so I have have to ask:

Was this prescient or what?
Quite.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
MUMPS? What happened, did they get a bad batch of vaccine 5 or 10 years ago?

Or are they vaccination deniers? I wouldn't have thought there would be that many vaccine-deniers in TN, of all places. Even if there were, I wouldn't have thought TN schools would let unvaccinated children even attend public school. It was illegal in my day without a pressing medical reason. A REAL reason, not idiot mythology about vaccines and autism.
Sorry, didn't see this back then or would have responded. Seems kind of pertinent today. There are some vaccine-deniers, but more of what I'd call disease-deniers. You could look up pre-COVID and see new about it's been so long since we had serious risk from childhood disease, that people think there's no disease and no need to get vaccinated. It's kind of because we've been so successful.

Yes, TN has a law, but it's hit a couple of big stumbling blocks -- religious reasons and side effects from the abortion laws. People have abused the religious exemption and, if you can't tell a woman what to do with her body, you also can't tell her to inject something into it.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinque View Post
... this report from the UK is not that great for our prospects of a normal school year with at or near normal attendance.

https://amp.theguardian.com/educatio...mpression=true
And will the USA EDU system again be handed a golden opportunity to totally scrap and re-invent a WW competitive and stellar educational process that will bolster and encourage our youth and equip future leaders and businesses?

Or will USA educators again 'wonder' what to do and continue to prop up our disastrously failed and embarassing excuse of EDU?.

So sad, so ineffective, but it is so simple to correct and excel.

I would expect a bit more of top educators and administrators who are handed a perfect opportunity for change and advancement of their true mission.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:22 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would expect a bit more of top educators and administrators who are handed a perfect opportunity for change and advancement of their true mission.
The joke used to be that we'd rather be ruled by the first 100 people in the Boston phone book than by the faculty of Harvard. We are now closer than we've ever been to being ruled by the faculty of Harvard.

The true mission of our "top educators" in 2021 is to plow under American history, Western achievements, and Enlightenment philosophy.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:40 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The joke used to be that we'd rather be ruled by the first 100 people in the Boston phone book than by the faculty of Harvard. We are now closer than we've ever been to being ruled by the faculty of Harvard.

The true mission of our "top educators" in 2021 is to plow under American history, Western achievements, and Enlightenment philosophy.
Yes. By their lights "dead white men" accomplished nothing. The real focus of achievement was in areas of the world barely out of the Stone Age. Or what they would have accomplished absent imaginary oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education