Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
There aren't seven continents, There are only six.

Look at a map and put your brain in gear and come up with a reason for Europe to be regarded as a separate continent from Asia?

It's generally accepted, and taught, that there are 7. I suspect you know that.

National Geographic | How many continents are there?

7 Continents of the World and the 5 Oceans List

How Many Continents Are There? - Universe Today

http://www.swiss-miss.com/2012/05/so...here.htmlthere are in fact different models being taught around the world. The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India and most English-speaking countries. The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is sometimes preferred in the former states of the USSR and Japan. The six-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America and in some parts of Europe including Greece, Portugal and Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So anyone who disagrees with you is spoiled. Isn't there some fallacy about that?
I didn't say that at all.

I simply related our experience at my middle school which had one of the leading GT Centers in Fairfax County Public Schools.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Land Mass--- Nope it's a MASS of ICE.. and when melted there will be NADDA.. Look at maps going back decades.. the Arctic and Antartica Polar Caps has shrunk exponentially... Sure some adventurers go up there.. BUT there's absolutely NO land useable much less liveable by regular folks ( Eskimo's even moved onwards) since I can remember. It's BARREN Mass that cannot be used for anything to sustain LIFE..Wildlife can since they live on food sourced under that ice!! ...

Climate change has altered Polar caps for many many decades.. and not surprised some wishing to denying Polar Ice area's has shrunk.. BUT puleese... Geography appointed naming Continents keeping things simplified.. It's nothing more than re-writing history! North America includes Canada and USA 2 large land masses. Why would the Arctic or Antartica be considered inhabitable Continents? Only people who exist up there are explorers Part time or Environmentalists doing samplings or hostile Countries trying to invade across such uninhabited ice scape to invade... Thus Canada does have a defence set up there ...

I do think we are getting way off the OP topic tho... The complaint was schools are rescheduling Science and Social Studies?? I didn't catch at what grade level? I didn't even start such courses until at least grade 5.. SO digressing to battle of Continents seems rather off topic as to the OP question...
I am an oceanographer, as is my daughter, who has been to Antarctica twice now for research. Antarctica is not only a continent, it is the largest one, with a landmass under its glaciers, larger than Eurasia.

This fact, has nothing to do with climate change denial, it is simply fact. Before Antarctica shifted via plate tectonics to its current position, it was covered with forests and had abundant wildlife. All proven by its abundant fossil record preserved in its geologic layers of its LANDMASS.

Contrast this to ththe arctic, which is truly an ice cap, and has no land beneath it.

You appear to be back pedaling and implying you meant "useable" land which is not now nor ever been a part of the continent definition.

Btw, North America also includes Mexico.

Last edited by lkb0714; 02-16-2017 at 05:00 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 06:14 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Accounting is My Issue????

How many millions of high school graduates could not explain what NET WORTH is over the last 50 years if they had been asked? Oh yeah, we don't know. They weren't tested on that.

Of course if educators suggested making it mandatory now it would seem kind of strange after not doing it for decades.

We need workers ignorant enough to buy cars designed to become obsolete. It's good for the economy.
This is part of the high school econ class I teach.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
As a side note, there are 7 continents, including Eurasia and Zealandia (that is the new one).

https://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/...SATG321A.1.htm

Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 AM

281 posts, read 345,407 times
Quote:
What most do want is when creation comes up in science class, and it will, it's treated with respect for others beliefs and not the derision as shown in your post.
Beliefs don't deserve respect. Maybe they shouldn't be derided but it's perfectly acceptable for the teacher to tell the student that a science class isn't the place to discuss religion.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
This is part of the high school econ class I teach.
Isn't it amazing how many of the education "experts" who post here and claim that "___________ isn't taught" in high school turn out to be wrong so often, like 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 AM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
This extended argument some of you are in about how many continents there are is an excellent example of how students are often taught information that is of little or no use, as compared to being taught things such as (but not limited to) critical thinking skills. Even as a former science teacher who had a minor in geography in college, I fail to see anything important about the number of continents, other than as a point of information. Now if you were talking about the number of continental plates, okay, that's significant information because it affects things such as earthquakes, volcanoes, sea floor spreading, etc. But as to the number of continents...I guess maybe it's just a minor part of cultural literacy...at best.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I found out after talking to my friend who is our local middle school social studies teacher, she told me the fifth graders coming up don't know that there are seven continents let alone the names of those continents.

She told me the curriculum maker is making kids do these writing journals which somehow fulfill the standards for science and social studies. But if you are a kid who is not good at reading and writing you are out of luck.
How can a public school stop teaching science and social studies? How is this possible? Is this what our country has come to?
The saddest part in your post is that fifth graders can't read or write very well.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am an oceanographer, as is my daughter, who has been to Antarctica twice now for research. Antarctica is not only a continent, it is the largest one, with a landmass under its glaciers, larger than Eurasia.

Antarctica is the 3rd smallest of the 7 continents in terms of land area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education