Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Don't knock the old ways. Too many people are taught in molds and they cannot think outside the box. I bet anyone of those electricians today cannot figure out my husband's solar system.
You want change, to go back to the "old ways"? Doesn't make sense. Let me tell you a story about the "old ways". My mom grew up on a farm in northern Wisconsin. There were 9 kids in her graduating class. They didn't have enough kids to offer anything but traditional academics. She wanted to be a nurse, which required high school chemistry. Her HS didn't offer it. She thought if she took physics, maybe that would be acceptable in its place. She was the first girl in her school to take physics. The old ways weren't all that great.

Quote:
How much debt are they in?? Can they budget? Do you "really" know how well they are doing?
For my own two kids, they have student loans from grad school. We saw that they graduated from undergrad without loans. Yes, they can budget. Yes, I "really" know how well they're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM

130 posts, read 152,582 times
I don't know how it works in the US, but in my jurisdiction, kids have a lot of opportunity to learn about budgeting. It's part of the curriculum for "Career and Personal Planning" in grade 10, "Health and Career Education" in grade 8 as well as "Graduation Transition Plans" in grade 12. All of these are mandatory courses. Budgeting is also part of "All About Money", a locally developed course that I teach, and I think part of the Math curriculum somewhere as well. There are still kids who come out of these classes who can't budget, but it wasn't a lack of effort on the part of the education system from what I can see.

We are fortunate that our jurisdiction values trades training. We have wood and metal shops in all of our high schools in my district. I think two of the three have an automotive shop. There are pre-apprenticeship programs, some times in conjunction with the local college so that students can get their first year of carpentry apprenticeship completed before they graduate (there are other trades available as well)

Unfortunately, I just ran in to one of my old students yesterday who had done an automotive trade training and followed it up after high school with heavy duty mechanic who is working in a grocery store because there's a lack of work in his trades right now (due to the decline in the oil industry since 2014 many journeymen moved back to our province after the jobs ran out up North)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:32 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
People, including educators, have been talking about computers and computerized education for decades.
And also I would argue that it is very unhealthy to remove the human interaction component of education for a multitude of reasons. Also, what about when the computers get viruses? (To be fair, teachers get viruses too....like colds and flu!)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
I don't know how it works in the US, but in my jurisdiction, kids have a lot of opportunity to learn about budgeting. It's part of the curriculum for "Career and Personal Planning" in grade 10, "Health and Career Education" in grade 8 as well as "Graduation Transition Plans" in grade 12. All of these are mandatory courses. Budgeting is also part of "All About Money", a locally developed course that I teach, and I think part of the Math curriculum somewhere as well. There are still kids who come out of these classes who can't budget, but it wasn't a lack of effort on the part of the education system from what I can see.

We are fortunate that our jurisdiction values trades training. We have wood and metal shops in all of our high schools in my district. I think two of the three have an automotive shop. There are pre-apprenticeship programs, some times in conjunction with the local college so that students can get their first year of carpentry apprenticeship completed before they graduate (there are other trades available as well)

Unfortunately, I just ran in to one of my old students yesterday who had done an automotive trade training and followed it up after high school with heavy duty mechanic who is working in a grocery store because there's a lack of work in his trades right now (due to the decline in the oil industry since 2014 many journeymen moved back to our province after the jobs ran out up North)
My district, whose graduation requirements I posted upthread, requires a 12 hour (not credit hours, clock hours) course in money management and personal finance. So ditto, if they can't budget, it's not necessarily the school's fault.

The pre-apprenticeship programs you describe is similar to what my district offers. I don't know their employment stats, e.g. whether a high percentage get jobs in their fields.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Don't knock the old ways. Too many people are taught in molds and they cannot think outside the box. I bet anyone of those electricians today cannot figure out my husband's solar system.
In one post you are saying that things in education should change. Now you're saying to not knock the old ways. You're all over the map in this thread.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
And also I would argue that it is very unhealthy to remove the human interaction component of education for a multitude of reasons. Also, what about when the computers get viruses? (To be fair, teachers get viruses too....like colds and flu!)
Oh yawn.

Teachers and administrators want more technology as tools, not as replacements.

Overhead projector lights blow out. Chalk boards get slick. Rulers break. Bindings of books give out. Guess we should just give up teaching all together.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In one post you are saying that things in education should change. Now you're saying to not knock the old ways. You're all over the map in this thread.
No I am not all over the map. I believe I was referring to electricians and not having to go to 4 years of school. And yes we can go back to some basics like getting rid of the Common Core.

Bottom line again Not all kids are cut out for college. Yes it is important as a whole to the country that some of us go on for advanced degrees but it is an injustice to the ones who can't go that route for a variety of reasons. We "know" this and there should be different requirements to graduate depending on the student. Not the same cookie cutter model. It's really not that hard to comprehend if you have a brain.

We are failing those who won't be going to college in that we didn't prepare them for anything other than mostly useless information.

Then again maybe the higher ups want that. Why would we train the ones who can't go or aren't cut out to go to college when they are needed for our military

BTW, having a mortgage, car debt, school debt and having to look forward to all the stress of living on the hamster wheel of life only to retire in your 60's is not a "good" life to all. I would hate for others to have that much control over me. I count myself very lucky that I don't have to deal with that mess of a life.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Oh yawn.

Teachers and administrators want more technology as tools, not as replacements.
Exactly!

And the companies designing the software know this, so do they deliberately not make what they could because they know the "educators" won't buy it?

But does that mean no real attempts are made to use the technology as well as possible. I am not deliberately interested in eliminating teachers. But I am wondering what actually works best. Even if a teacher is 10 times as good as a computer, once a teacher has to deal with a class of 30 children, each student only gets 1/30th of a teacher.

So how do we best mix the two and do the computers work better with some students than with others?

psik

Old 03-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
No I am not all over the map. I believe I was referring to electricians and not having to go to 4 years of school. And yes we can go back to some basics like getting rid of the Common Core.

Bottom line again Not all kids are cut out for college. Yes it is important as a whole to the country that some of us go on for advanced degrees but it is an injustice to the ones who can't go that route for a variety of reasons. We "know" this and there should be different requirements to graduate depending on the student. Not the same cookie cutter model. It's really not that hard to comprehend if you have a brain.

We are failing those who won't be going to college in that we didn't prepare them for anything other than mostly useless information.

Then again maybe the higher ups want that. Why would we train the ones who can't go or aren't cut out to go to college when they are needed for our military

BTW, having a mortgage, car debt, school debt and having to look forward to all the stress of living on the hamster wheel of life only to retire in your 60's is not a "good" life to all. I would hate for others to have that much control over me. I count myself very lucky that I don't have to deal with that mess of a life.
What competencies in common core do you so dislike?

Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
What competencies in common core do you so dislike?

It is like someone telling a long winded story when one is not needed...and not working the way it was supposed to. The Common Core is not a huge success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education