Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 AM

711 posts, read 687,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I worked with a couple of them when I was waiting tables. Cooks. They kept making small mistakes on my tickets until I figured it out and started calling out my tickets when I hung them. Then they got everything right. White guys in their forties.

My son met some young black kids ( early twenties ) that were put through the schools, but were functionally illiterate. He said he almost cried when he figured it out. No future.

It must be incredibly stressful to live with a secret like that.
There's a TV chef who was illiterate - Curtis Aikens. I recall seeing his story on a news show. He has since learned to read and made literacy his passion. As you've said, living with that secret was something he managed in ways many of us might not even think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM

414 posts, read 400,066 times
The new literacy is technology literacy; understanding the value of technology, and then being able to use it to communicate effectively. I have met only a very few persons who could not read. However I am finding that many today cause problems for others because they are not technologically literate. They do not understand technology to be a literacy to also master. Some seniors only use email, many do not text, some want a phone call, and others yet want information printed out for them. This is very frustrating for an organizer.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You really think you can't drive if you can't read? Think of all the cabbies (and otherwise) who can't read - English, at least.
You need to read to be able to pass the written test. Some places offer these tests in a variety of languages, other places do not.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You need to read to be able to pass the written test. Some places offer these tests in a variety of languages, other places do not.
It's not a reading test. In many states one can request the test be read aloud.

We ran into that with mandated standardized tests. When it was pointed out that many students didn't have the reading skills to pass the Government test it was pointed out that it wasn't a reading test and we classroom teachers needed to deal with it.

The same thing has been said about the Hunter Safety test I administer.

I can name, off the top of my head, about a dozen adults who can't read. They range in age from early 20s to 80 something.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
The new literacy is technology literacy; understanding the value of technology, and then being able to use it to communicate effectively. I have met only a very few persons who could not read. However I am finding that many today cause problems for others because they are not technologically literate. They do not understand technology to be a literacy to also master. Some seniors only use email, many do not text, some want a phone call, and others yet want information printed out for them. This is very frustrating for an organizer.
I can do those things but I prefer to talk with someone to firm up arrangements or plans. Too many times meanings get lost in a text or even an e-mail. I find talking is much clearer in most cases and can be accomplished in one quick conversation rather than 10 texts back and forth.

I also like to read at my leisure and off of printed material. I know someday that will be gone but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

If you are a good organizer you will adapt.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:50 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
My father's father was the son of peasants, and emigrated as a child from Sicily. He could struggle through newspaper articles with difficulty, and he would read with his finger when he read the comics to me (that's how I learned to read at the age of four or five). His mother could write her name, and that was it. She was illiterate in both English and Sicilian. My father's mother had a sixth grade education, as did my mother's parents and none of them were illiterate.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 PM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I can do those things but I prefer to talk with someone to firm up arrangements or plans. Too many times meanings get lost in a text or even an e-mail. I find talking is much clearer in most cases and can be accomplished in one quick conversation rather than 10 texts back and forth.

I also likhe to read at my leisure and off of printed material. I know someday that will be gone but I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

If you are a good organizer you will adapt.
What's an "organizer"?

If it's a trainer, then his job is to meet the people where they are, not expect them to meet him at his level. if they were there then there wouldn't be a need for training.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
My ex father in law cannot read. I don't know how he got his drivers license but he has one and has had for years. He is in his 80's now and still doesn't read. He relied on his wife to do all the reading that needed to be done throughout life. When she passed away, he relied on other family members to continue helping him with things that needed reading. He has since remarried and I am sure that his current wife is doing his reading for him.

My ex brother in law can barely read and struggles still.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:07 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's an "organizer"?

If it's a trainer, then his job is to meet the people where they are, not expect them to meet him at his level. if they were there then there wouldn't be a need for training.

Not sure. This from Emptynester1

"This is very frustrating for an organizer."

Old 02-28-2017, 05:18 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
we had a guy at work that refuse to turn on a computer, for seven years some body else had to enter his time, found out after they laid him off, he could read or write
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education