U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 PM
 
22,544 posts, read 12,905,805 times
Reputation: 23265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I don't think one needs to know the term "eudaimonia" to understand what was implied. He clearly did not mean "happiness" in the literal sense.

Inference. Something that should be taught in school.

I think more of that cursive time needs to be spent on Grammar and ENGLISH as a language because boy, we in the US have a pretty poor handle on that. It probably doesn't matter - as I've seen this at the highest levels of society. Part of the beauty of being American. Poor grammar wont hold you back.

I think the vast majority of Americans who have read that exerpt from the Declaration of Independence do, indeed, believe Jefferson meant "happiness" in the literal sense because that's the only sense in which they know the word.


Without having heard or read or learned enough philosophy to have come across "eudaimonia"or "human flourishing," how would they know "happiness" any differently?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM
 
Location: The North Star State
2,892 posts, read 888,573 times
Reputation: 12263
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ever sit in a lecture with a hundred students all clattering away? So much for hearing the lecture.
Right. The deafening sound of multiple laptops. That's right up there with the roar of pencil lead. How did we ever manage?



Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Recording the lecture with your phone ?
Taking notes on a laptop ?

Have none of you people taken a math class such as Geometry or Trig ? What about physics or biology even?
There is so much more to note taking than "text". And cursive has a hand/brain connection that other forms just do not have.
I've never written formulae in cursive. And somehow, I passed all my math classes.

And, no, cursive is not somehow critical to brain development. That's a ridiculous crutch to which people cling when they have nothing else to rationalize demanding that others use something they like for no reason other than they like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Their addiction to whatever's the latest doohickey insistently overrides questions of actual functionality. But it's OK, for centuries now people have thought the latest technology would change the fundamental nature of humans, and it never happens (you learn about this kind of thing from an obsolete technology called "books").
You get more and more inane.

A laptop is not the 'latest doohickey'. They've been around for over a quarter century. And I am most certainly not cutting edge in my technology use. For example, I'm still using my iPhone6 that I got in 2014 because it does all that I want it to do. I run laptops until they die. I've worked in IT and I've seen precisely who you are ranting about. Your strawman characterization is certainly convenient, but it is baseless.

Also, every technology is brand new once. I'm sure there were people long ago, who thought like you, sneered in contempt at those fancy quill pens that they thought were 'doohickeys' to which those young whippersnappers 'were addicted', and couldn't figure out why they didn't just scratch marks into clay like normal people!

I'm a writer. I key because it is much faster and because it makes editing much, much - much - simpler and more convenient. Also, I'm not terrified of everything that was invented after I was 10 years old.

Last edited by 2x3x29x41; 08-10-2020 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: sp.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2020, 05:59 PM
 
22,544 posts, read 12,905,805 times
Reputation: 23265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
A laptop is not the 'latest doohickey'. They've been around for over a quarter cnetury.

My boss brought his personal laptop in to work in 1986, a Tandy TRS. I thought

then I really wanted to have one of those, but I wouldn't be able to afford one until 1999.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2020, 07:01 AM
 
8,641 posts, read 3,997,303 times
Reputation: 24350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

You get more and more inane.

A laptop is not the 'latest doohickey'. They've been around for over a quarter century. And I am most certainly not cutting edge in my technology use. For example, I'm still using my iPhone6 that I got in 2014 because it does all that I want it to do. I run laptops until they die. I've worked in IT and I've seen precisely who you are ranting about. Your strawman characterization is certainly convenient, but it is baseless.

Also, every technology is brand new once. I'm sure there were people long ago, who thought like you, sneered in contempt at those fancy quill pens that they thought were 'doohickeys' to which those young whippersnappers 'were addicted', and couldn't figure out why they didn't just scratch marks into clay like normal people!

I'm a writer. I key because it is much faster and because it makes editing much, much - much - simpler and more convenient. Also, I'm not terrified of everything that was invented after I was 10 years old.
Still can't get it, can you?


The concept of "appropriate technology" is one which technology addicts cannot comprehend.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2020, 10:36 AM
 
8,641 posts, read 3,997,303 times
Reputation: 24350
I am often reminded of Steve Martin in "LA Story". He's going to visit his girlfriend, so he gets in the car, pulls out of the driveway, and drives three houses down the street to her house.

His character would have probably called me a "Luddite" for suggesting that it makes better sense to walk.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 11:41 PM
 
207 posts, read 53,080 times
Reputation: 370
Frustrating my original post was moved/merged here? I wasn't looking to debate this issue?
I asked the question "will my child be expected to write in cursive" when attending school ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 AM
 
8,641 posts, read 3,997,303 times
Reputation: 24350
I think the answer will be "it depends". Why don't you call the school district and ask them?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2020, 10:15 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,855 posts, read 46,001,455 times
Reputation: 46578
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am often reminded of Steve Martin in "LA Story". He's going to visit his girlfriend, so he gets in the car, pulls out of the driveway, and drives three houses down the street to her house.

His character would have probably called me a "Luddite" for suggesting that it makes better sense to walk.
Why walk when you can drive?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top