U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,839,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Cursive makes a comeback - CBS News

It's about time.

Interesting article about cursive making a comeback.

Thoughts.
Maybe typewriters and 8-tracks can make comebacks, too.

And those who like typewriters and 8-tracks can cheer, and try to come up with some objective reason that that is a good thing - rather than just admitting that they like those things and so want them foisted on everyone, because that wound sound every bit as ridiculously self-absorbed as it is. I'm sure it'll start by explaining that society goes to hell in a handbasket and western civilization falls when typewriters and 8-tracks - you know, like cursive - are discarded lost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 AM

16,688 posts, read 19,267,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
People still need to sign documents using cursive and it is useful to be able to read older documents written in cursive. I seem to remember also reading that writing by hand helps memorize when studying more than typing on a computer.
Learning to write your signature does not require learning all of cursive, just your name.

Almost all the documents that were in cursive are now on computers and can be read there. Also, reading cursive does not require writing it. You can teach reading it without the writing part.

That said, I like seeing kids learn to write cursive, but it is not a necessary skill these days.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 AM

8,540 posts, read 13,411,246 times
Regardless of whether it should or should not be taught we never stopped. It's still a part of our Program of Studies.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 AM

11,578 posts, read 4,818,349 times
We moved from Illinois to Indiana last year. Both states still teach cursive writing in elementary school!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 AM

16,833 posts, read 15,132,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Because writing is a useful skill. Aside from it being a social skill like writing personal Thank You notes, many jobs require writing field reports, writing instructions, writing prescriptions, writing comments, etc. You can't haul your little printer everywhere you go.
Cursive is just a particular style of handwriting. There are many types of handwriting, why does cursive need to make a comeback in particular? Why not shorthand or calligraphy?

Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
People still need to sign documents using cursive and it is useful to be able to read older documents written in cursive. I seem to remember also reading that writing by hand helps memorize when studying more than typing on a computer.
I can read calligraphy but I cannot write it. Most people can read cursive with a fraction of the amount of time devoted to learning it.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My thoughts are that there will be those who comment negatively who don't know the square root of **** about the brain development and physical skills development cursive has.

But then again, you and I were just teachers while others went to school and maybe graduated.
I know quite a but about brain development, and I am a teacher.

Handwriting is a skill, but why it has to be cursive in particular has never been shown. Do you have some body of research that shows that cursive is of substantially more value than handwriting?

Old 03-12-2017, 11:22 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,206,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Cursive is just a particular style of handwriting. There are many types of handwriting, why does cursive need to make a comeback in particular? Why not shorthand or calligraphy?
A few reasons.

The goal is to communicate. To as broad an audience as possible. More people are able to read printed lettering than shorthand. But shorthand is quicker and more efficient than printing for most people.

Cursive is a sweet spot in the middle - efficient for the writer and widely readable by the general population.

Why not just type, which is readable by even more and I would guess much faster for most to both produce and read?

Fine in some/many situations. But there is study out which shows handwriting notes supports learning better than typing notes:

Taking Notes By Hand May Be Better Than Digitally, Researchers Say : NPR

For the student who knows shorthand, that would be perfect for their own use.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM

21,708 posts, read 24,146,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That requires cursive, why, exactly? That just requires writing legibly. These days many physicians send prescriptions directly to the pharmacy from their computer systems. All of our field reports are just notes that the person types in once they get into an office, again not something that requires cursive. Cursive was created because people used inkwells.

Most people don't spend that much time writing personal thank you notes anymore, and that also does not require cursive. As a teacher, I always hated reading cursive because it took so much longer. I would rather students have spent the time learning how to use computers effectively because that's what they'll need to use in real life. I rarely ever hand write anything these days.
The one thing I despised about the US school system was that my teachers were too lazy to understand cursive. I had beautiful handwriting. My mom has incredibly detailed cursive handwriting. Calligraphy level. So I had to write in bs block letters for lazy idiot teachers to understand. I currently working on getting my cursive writing back. But thank god it's like riding a bicycle. I just need to practice more.
As a teacher you should understand the need for hand writing.
Oh and I send thank you notes all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or