Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,632,914 times

Advertisements

I still write in cursive. I don't know what compelled me to start in the first place and then keep using it to this day. No one else seems to.

My children are learning cursive, but like everything else about school, if they don't have to do it, they won't, so they don't. They still write in print to do their homework. The only way they'll write cursive is it the teacher requires it, and they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,608,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The one thing I despised about the US school system was that my teachers were too lazy to understand cursive. I had beautiful handwriting. My mom has incredibly detailed cursive handwriting. Calligraphy level. So I had to write in bs block letters for lazy idiot teachers to understand. I currently working on getting my cursive writing back. But thank god it's like riding a bicycle. I just need to practice more.
As a teacher you should understand the need for hand writing.
Oh and I send thank you notes all the time.
What state and county is the "US school system" in? If you were educated in the 'US' you should know that each school district in the country is independent and governed under state laws and local guidance. What is true for your district in no way carries over into other districts.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:39 PM

289 posts, read 218,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What state and county is the "US school system" in? If you were educated in the 'US' you should know that each school district in the country is independent and governed under state laws and local guidance. What is true for your district in no way carries over into other districts.
You're responding to someone who likely failed out of the "US school system"

Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why this obsession with "cursive"? We learned it in third grade. After that, it was up to us weather or not we wanted to write or print.

In high school, papers had to be typed. That's how old I am.

I always thought handwriting was taken seriously only by parochial schools.
I'm older than you. Parochial schools? In public school we were taught cursive in third grade. I always rebelled and wanted to print but I got marked down for printing instead of "writing."

We had penmanship lessons and there was a penmanship teacher who came around every few weeks. He would write a beautiful alphabet on the chalkboard while we laboriously wrote one page of a paper with sentences in our very best handwriting. Mine was terrible.

Mr. Penmanship Teacher would come around with a rubber stamp and you would get Penmanship 1, Penmanship 2, or Penmanship 3 on your paper. Mostly I got Penmanship 3 .

By junior high we were all, both boys and girls, required to learn to type so that when we got to college we would be able to type our own term papers. "Because your mother won't be there to type it for you in college." I'm so glad I learned to type. My handwriting is a mixture of printing and cursive--and I definitely DO remember things better when I write them down by hand.

BTW, I use cursive all the time in my genealogy hobby. If I couldn't read, I wouldn't be able to understand old letters written by an ancestor or some important Bible inscription that set down the family tree for 100 years or so.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 PM

313 posts, read 264,091 times
Default Are any elementary schools teaching/using cursive handwriting?

Our's don't anymore. If we move, will any school require my child to use cursive? Or are all schools printing their handwriting now? Thank you

Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,985,869 times
There are thousands of school districts in the country. I am sure some still teach cursive.

Hopefully not too many spend time on this obsolete skill.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:49 AM

42,246 posts, read 17,601,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There are thousands of school districts in the country. I am sure some still teach cursive.

Hey..it's become like hieroglyphics to the younger generations that can't read cursive.

People have been employed to "translate" historical documents written in cursive so that younger generations can read them.

Definitely an opportunity for a niche job if you can read/write cursive because there are hundreds of years of documents written in cursive that will need to be translated into plain text so that people can read them.

https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2019/01/cr...ry-of-cursive/

“That’s so beautiful, but what does it say?” This is what we often hear from visitors to the Library of Congress when they see letters and other documents written by hand.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:56 AM

45,046 posts, read 60,097,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Except it's being reintroduced because, while it may be an "obsolete skill", doing it develops several different positive abilities that include fine motor skills, hand/eye coordination and brain development in thinking, working memory and communication/synchronicity between hemispheres. Research has shown that printing develops these less and keyboarding doesn't do any development.

https://medium.com/@judysantillipack...g-25e111f77a81

Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,511,844 times
I am happy if the kids can just block letter well enough for other folks to read them.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,214,884 times
Well, you may THINK it's an obsolete skill:

I tell you what, you sit in a lecture and I'll sit in the same lecture and let's see who can take notes more efficiently, you printing e.v.e.r.y.s.i.n.g.l.e.l.e.t.t.e.r.l.a.b.o.r.i.o.u. s.l.y.l.i.k.e.a.f.i.r.s.t.g.r.a.d.e.r; or me, smoothly reeling off longhand pages at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education