Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM

28,597 posts, read 18,629,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The word Jefferson actually meant is "eudaimonia" or "human flourishing".

Which is not the modern idea of what "happiness" means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 06:17 PM

729 posts, read 525,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, you may THINK it's an obsolete skill:

I tell you what, you sit in a lecture and I'll sit in the same lecture and let's see who can take notes more efficiently, you printing e.v.e.r.y.s.i.n.g.l.e.l.e.t.t.e.r.l.a.b.o.r.i.o.u. s.l.y.l.i.k.e.a.f.i.r.s.t.g.r.a.d.e.r; or me, smoothly reeling off longhand pages at a time.
Or...just have your phone record everything.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:46 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,677,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, you may THINK it's an obsolete skill:

I tell you what, you sit in a lecture and I'll sit in the same lecture and let's see who can take notes more efficiently, you printing e.v.e.r.y.s.i.n.g.l.e.l.e.t.t.e.r.l.a.b.o.r.i.o.u. s.l.y.l.i.k.e.a.f.i.r.s.t.g.r.a.d.e.r; or me, smoothly reeling off longhand pages at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Or, for that matter, taking notes on a laptop. People can key faster than they can write cursive, the notes are perfectly legible to anyone, and can be conveniently organized with cut-and-paste.

There's nothing wrong with using cursive is someone wants to use it. But these people who insist that it's some sort of vital skill are are delusional. It is to conveying information what rubbing two sticks together is to starting a fire.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Or, for that matter, taking notes on a laptop. People can key faster than they can write cursive, the notes are perfectly legible to anyone, and can be conveniently organized with cut-and-paste.

There's nothing wrong with using cursive is someone wants to use it. But these people who insist that it's some sort of vital skill are are delusional. It is to conveying information what rubbing two sticks together is to starting a fire.

Cursive was invented because raising and lowering a quill pen to start new letters caused the ink to blotch on the page.

Cursive became effectively obsolescent with the invention of the ballpoint pen. If somehow the ballpoint pen had been invented first, cursive would never have been.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,214,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Yeah, that's a GREAT idea. Then you have to listen to it again to transcribe it, only now you're trying to figure out what's being said in the garbled sections - and you still have to use some kind of handwriting to transcribe it. Of course any sketches or diagrams that were on the board are not in your phone. Or you could use voice recognition to give you pages of gobbledegook.

Why not just take notes with a pencil and a notebook?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Ever sit in a lecture with a hundred students all clattering away? So much for hearing the lecture.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:49 AM

42,245 posts, read 17,601,031 times
Recording the lecture with your phone ?
Taking notes on a laptop ?

Have none of you people taken a math class such as Geometry or Trig ? What about physics or biology even?
There is so much more to note taking than "text". And cursive has a hand/brain connection that other forms just do not have.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Have none of you people taken a math class such as Geometry or Trig ? What about physics or biology even?
There is so much more to note taking than "text". And cursive has a hand/brain connection that other forms just do not have.
Their addiction to whatever's the latest doohickey insistently overrides questions of actual functionality. But it's OK, for centuries now people have thought the latest technology would change the fundamental nature of humans, and it never happens (you learn about this kind of thing from an obsolete technology called "books").

There are things laptops are great for, and I use them for those things. There are things printing by hand is good for and I use it for those things. There are things for which longhand writing is the best tool, and I use it for those.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

I can draw pictures on my phone with the stylus.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,077,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The word Jefferson actually meant is "eudaimonia" or "human flourishing".
I don't think one needs to know the term "eudaimonia" to understand what was implied. He clearly did not mean "happiness" in the literal sense.

Inference. Something that should be taught in school.

I think more of that cursive time needs to be spent on Grammar and ENGLISH as a language because boy, we in the US have a pretty poor handle on that. It probably doesn't matter - as I've seen this at the highest levels of society. Part of the beauty of being American. Poor grammar wont hold you back.

As for cursive... there's this thing call 'e-sign' that's ubiquitous and is the way everything is going now. Hand written signatures are mostly a thing of the past and are about as useful as the pens used to write them.

Things have changed. The world has evolved. Get tech savvy and save trees, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education