Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 PM

504 posts, read 298,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Where is this? Even in DC which is at the very top of the compensation scales, a teacher with 12 years and a doctorate with additional duty days does not make that much and it is well above what LA, San Francisco, Long Island, Jericho Union, Chicago, and Stratford (which are all in high COL areas and are noted for being well paying) are paying for a doctorate and 12 years experience. The closest is DC at a few thousand for the doctorate and extended day, but you are off by 25-35K in the rest. So, please, where is this?
See link.

Wage Comparison: how B.C. teachers compare to others in Canada | Globalnews.ca

See cost of living comparisons here:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...&city2=Calgary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM

20,109 posts, read 16,081,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
So, Canada. That means that $92,000 is equal to roughly $68,000 in US dollars. And, according to all those public records, for 12 years to get that income they are probably in Alberta, and only in very select districts in that providence - not low cost-of-living areas. Some of the teachers north of Whitehorse or Yellowknife also can make that wage but they are living in a place where even basic groceries have to be flown in, again not low cost-of-living. There are folks in the Alaska Interior that get paid significantly more than average also... wouldn't be worth it to me or most people, regardless of profession.

Regardless, $68,000 for 12 years experience and a master's degree is not some outrageous wage. My accountant niece with just a bachelor's and 3 years experience makes just $1000 less than that here.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 AM

8,821 posts, read 15,272,749 times
Quote:
My girlfriend is a nurse, who acts as a case manager for an insurance company. She works out of the home, and makes $110K a year, and can work anywhere in the USA she chooses to live, as it is all online work. She's being doing similar work for the last 2 decades.

My daughter is a 12 year teacher, and makes $94K as a primary grades teacher in a medium cost of living area. Both know they are well paid, and don't assume that they don't have to work hard and effectively to maintain their jobs.
Wait, wait. LOL This number was in Canadian dollars?
dillionmt, I'm glad you came back to clarify that.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM

504 posts, read 298,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Wait, wait. LOL This number was in Canadian dollars?
dillionmt, I'm glad you came back to clarify that.
Except if you compare the cost of living, as I linked to, it relates, dollar for dollar. An median house in Alberta now costs in the neighborhood of $400K. The average house price in the US is about $189K

Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,451,232 times
Quote:
Except if you compare the cost of living, as I linked to, it relates, dollar for dollar. An median house in Alberta now costs in the neighborhood of $400K. The average house price in the US is about $189K
And that's in the entire US. The average price in Denver is $377,450.
Average metro Denver home price jumps 10% in 2016; sales volume hits record – The Denver Post

Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
In your original post you didn't supply a link or mention this was in Canada. You wrote,
"My daughter is a 12 year teacher, and makes $94K as a primary grades teacher in a medium cost of living area".

Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand if you are saying your daughter is doing well salary-wise (from your original post) or if she isn't making enough compared to housing costs.

Forget the US average. Where I am a teacher with a MA reaches $68k in year eleven. City Data shows the median home value in the county (Zillow) is $521,000.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 AM

609 posts, read 805,362 times
Starting teacher pay should be 50,000 with yearly steps of $2000 raise a year up to about 90,000.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,809,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Starting teacher pay should be 50,000 with yearly steps of $2000 raise a year up to about 90,000.
I'd say it depends on the local area, subject matter, degree, etc. but you're right. The ironic thing is the district I work for is one of the better paying ones in Arizona yet they still don't give enough money to entice teachers...

Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 AM

6,922 posts, read 7,007,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have told this story before, but perhaps it's time to tell it once again.

At the time, I was teaching in a school just 7 miles outside of D.C. in...well, I've forgotten if this happened when I was still in Prince George's County, Maryland, or right after I move to Fairfax County, Virginia. At any rate, I had spent some time in Asia on vacations, and had a student who was from Indonesia (his parents worked at the embassy). I was invited to an embassy party, and felt terribly out of place. At one point I was standing in a group of 3 or 4 people and they asked me what my profession was. I said, "Oh, I'm just a teacher." I didn't realize it, but standing in another group of several people directly adjacent to me was the Indonesian ambassador. He turned to me and said, "Just a teacher? What could be more noble?"

When I read or hear too many disparaging remarks about teachers, I try to bring that memory back to remind me that there are far more people who respect teachers than the few __________ who constantly berate us.
Every job is important. Nobody should ever be labeled "just a . . .". Nor should certain professors (such as teachers) be worshipped.

I often point out that without civil engineers, teachers would not be able to get to work to do their job. They then point out that without teachers, civil engineers would not learn how to practice civil engineering. They are right; and that is why we all depend on each other; none of us is more important. The teacher and the civil engineer both depend on the janitor who cleans their office or classroom. Everybody depends on their mechanic so that they have a car to drive to get to work. Etc. If any job were to disappear, we'd all have a problem. (celebrities being the exception. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education