Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I was going to say the same thing.
At least when they go home, they are off from work until they return to the office. I'm sure they don't have to spend any of their own personal money on supplies either. There's good and bad in every job so I guess it's an even trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
At least when they go home, they are off from work until they return to the office. I'm sure they don't have to spend any of their own personal money on supplies either. There's good and bad in every job so I guess it's an even trade.
Most likely, but they work all summer while I'm next to my pool.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
Thank you. I would love to be an office secretary but where i currently am in ny, the jobs are nearly non existent and the pay is horrible!
I'm from NY too. There's parent coordinators and/or community coordinators in all public schools now. They make in the low 30s. I believe Para's, with a BA degree can now make in the low 30s as well. But, you first have to sub para and need a nomination from a principal. Good luck getting one in this city!

Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,992 times
Quote:
The secretaries in the NYC DOE are very well-paid. They get a lot of training throughout the year and they have various specialized functions, e.g. ATS or payroll, etc. These are school secretaries as opposed to the 10,000+office support personnel throughout the district offices and the central office. The DOE has something like 100,000 full-time employees in addition to contract employees. If you can survive the DOE, school secretaries end up with 6 figure incomes after long-term service. There is also another class of employee called "teacher aide or referred to as DC something or other" which may or may not involve classroom work. It can be just working in the office making copies, answering the phones, etc or it can be supervising children on the playground or the lunchroom. They are not lunchroom personnel. Secretaries are steps above teacher aides and do not deal with the children. Teacher aides can do both. Employees - New York City Department of Education

Small suburban districts in New York are civil service jobs. Downstate districts, which tend to pay more, start between 35-40ish and each year there is an increase. If you get any of these jobs, no one leaves until they are just about to die. Turnover is extremely low. The OP mentioned in another post on this forum how impossible it is to get plucked off the civil service list into one of these jobs. They are highly desirable because they are very secure, backed by the union, offer family healthcare at little or in the case of the DOE, almost no cost, full pension, plus other benefits. The OP is correct that it would be easier to relocate and get this type of job outside of the NY tri-state area where school office personnel are not unionized.

NYC also has paraprofessional jobs that require no more than a high school diploma. They start at 36K with increases each year, but again, they get the same benefits as teachers. They are also part of the teacher's union and have their own union representative at each school location like the teachers. Again, very hard to get hired as a full time paraprofessional. You have to start as a subpara first and while this used to be easy to get, even subparas now have to be nominated by a principal. Suburban school districts scattered throughout New York State work very differently.
What paras make 36k a year? I was just on the DOE website yesterday and unless I'm looking at a different state lol, they start off in the low to mid 20s.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
As the poster noted, that number refers to NYC.

Where I am, it's not the case, either, and neither is it the case that paras get benefits. Mileage varies widely.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
What are some positions, that you can still make decent money, other than teaching. I know about counselors, psychs, social workers, etc. but what are some other 'office' setting jobs working in a school and benefiting from a school schedules, etc but not as hands on with the kids.
Principal/Vice Principal
Secretary
Custodian etc.

Those are the ones that I can think of right now off the top of my memory bank.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:35 PM

289 posts, read 219,863 times
You're not getting an assistant principal, let alone principal position, without years in the classroom.

Secretary, if you want to be paid $12.64 an hour

Custodian, even less.

The three given here are either 100% unattainable or are not in the realm of "decent money" come on people.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 PM

289 posts, read 219,863 times
Quote:
I've spent a forgettable amount of money on my supplies, I may spend an additional 3-4 hours a week outside of my contract hours dealing with business. Hardly an equal tradeoff if instead I have to work year around for considerably less pay.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
You're not getting an assistant principal, let alone principal position without years in the classroom........
Not necessarily true in all cases. My (former) school system went through a phase in the late 1990s where it hired fresh out of college 22 year olds as Principals. Some new theory or other about them being better at problem solving and thinking outside the box. It was not successful, none made it to a second year with most leaving the position before the end of their first year. They all went to the central office and became supervisors of one thing or another.

They still put well connected first and second year teachers in VP slots.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Here, you must meet a minimum threshold of classroom time in order to be eligible for any administration positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education