Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaMom View Post
I just have to send you a HUG!!

Is there a big "S" on your chest? You are a SUPER MOM!!
Wow. Thank you !No there is no big "S"on my chest. Thanks for the hug !

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM

61 posts, read 222,189 times
"Every parent should have a choice as how to educate their children. But, we as a people (the state) have a duty to guarantee an education to each child."

I want the state's sticky little fingers off my family, off my kids. That's my choice. Let me relieve you of your perceived responsibility towards my kids.

If California's homeschool laws become oppressive, we're moving to a state (probably TX) that is more homeschool friendly.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post
"Every parent should have a choice as how to educate their children. But, we as a people (the state) have a duty to guarantee an education to each child."

I want the state's sticky little fingers off my family, off my kids. That's my choice. Let me relieve you of your perceived responsibility towards my kids.

If California's homeschool laws become oppressive, we're moving to a state (probably TX) that is more homeschool friendly.
You might want to consider Oklahoma.It is in the state constitution that parents have the right to homeschool. You would not even have to send any kind of notification.It is supposed to be a lot less expensive too.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,227 times
Quote:

NC is also fairly homeschool friendly. I know many who do it. You have to register with the state and give your school a 'name', but thats about all... ( I think). I looked into it a couple of years ago.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Yep, Florida is fairly homeschool friendly, but not as friendly as Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma and Connecticut.

And I agree... the state and public in general can mind their own darn business when it comes to my kids... when every child in government schools is soaring, then they can come to me with advice and recommendations for MY kids, who are much better off with me.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,040 times
Quote:

I agree with you totally about the government keeping their hands off my kids.

As for CA, hopefully the Governator will do what he says he's going to and will protect the parents rights to homeschool. I think there is enough of an outcry about this, that he'll keep his word.

I moved from SoCAl to NV, and NV is pretty homeschool friendly now. They have a law that specifically says that parents can homeschool, you only have to fill out an "intent to homeschool" form once in a lifetime (or if you move), an dyou can also use the public school system for any extra class, or extra-curricular activities. In Las Vegas, there's a huge homeschool community, mostly because NV schools are horrible!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
I don't have children, but if I ever do, I think I'd put them in public schools, but I would do some teaching outside of the classroom. I would teach them various philosophy and maybe even religious studies (I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't shield my children from religion. After all, choosing a religion is their personal choice. I'll look at them the same whether they become religious or not.). I also think I would give them an early start in science. I honestly don't think public schools teach science the way it should be taught. Being a science fan myself, I think the way they teach it in most schools is laughable, not to mention, in most cases, they assign certain fields of sciences by grade level, so you don't have a personal choice. The only time you get a proper science education is when you go to an academy that has science as its main focus, but then that deprives you of the education you should get in the other subjects.

So if I had children, I would let them go to public school, but I would educate them in the sciences. I would also teach then English and Literature (Public schooling kind of comes up short on this too. Teaching somebody how to read, write, and speak isn't enough if you ask me.). I feel like history is probably the most important thing to know, so teaching that is a must. I didn't learn much in history class going to school, but my dad would always talk about past events and cultures with me out of school. That's where most of my history knowledge came from. Math, depending on who you ask, would most of the time be considered a science and is used in the sciences, so that's included.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Quote:
So if I had children, I would let them go to public school, but I would educate them in the sciences. I would also teach then English and Literature (Public schooling kind of comes up short on this too. Teaching somebody how to read, write, and speak isn't enough if you ask me.). I feel like history is probably the most important thing to know, so teaching that is a must. I didn't learn much in history class going to school, but my dad would always talk about past events and cultures with me out of school. That's where most of my history knowledge came from. Math, depending on who you ask, would most of the time be considered a science and is used in the sciences, so that's included.
You do'nt seem to have much faith in the public school to educate children... why would you send your kids there? (I realize that this is all hypothetical, as there were LOTS of things I swore I'd do/never do, then I actually had children and it all blew out the window, LOL)

Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't have children, but if I ever do, I think I'd put them in public schools, but I would do some teaching outside of the classroom. I would teach them various philosophy and maybe even religious studies (I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't shield my children from religion. After all, choosing a religion is their personal choice. I'll look at them the same whether they become religious or not.). I also think I would give them an early start in science. I honestly don't think public schools teach science the way it should be taught. Being a science fan myself, I think the way they teach it in most schools is laughable, not to mention, in most cases, they assign certain fields of sciences by grade level, so you don't have a personal choice. The only time you get a proper science education is when you go to an academy that has science as its main focus, but then that deprives you of the education you should get in the other subjects.

That's a good plan. I think education works best when schools and parents both teach kids. After all, a parent truly is a child's best teacher. But schools will have access to things that parents sometimes won't. But for a child to learn at school and at home would have a synergistic effect.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You do'nt seem to have much faith in the public school to educate children... why would you send your kids there? (I realize that this is all hypothetical, as there were LOTS of things I swore I'd do/never do, then I actually had children and it all blew out the window, LOL)
Schools can teach many things, but I don't feel they go in depth like they should. Most of the things i have learned about a subject were outside of school. Public schooling is more about the basics. I just feel like they should take it further than that. For example, you could take a few biology classes in a public high school, pass with an A+ in all of them, and still not be able to understand what a biologist is talking about some times. I find that sad. I feel like what you learn in a lot of classes can be easily learned by browsing the net all day. Give me five minutes, and I could show you everything I was taught in biology on the internet. I just think that's kind of ridiculous. They give education a high level of importance, but I can get that some education with an internet connection. Only difference is, I wouldn't have a diploma for what I studied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education