Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 12:18 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

I don't know about a flame war, but it seems that this

[quote=phetaroi;47983944]It has nothing to with counting change. It has to do with being able to count to 100.[/quote]

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, here's what happened to me.

I went into a store and bought something for lets say $17.30 cents (including tax). I gave the cashier $20. She rang it up and then I said, "Oh and here's the 30 cents". He couldn't figure out that he owed me $3 even. Had to void the sale and ring it up all over again...and the whole time had this dumbfounded look and said he didn't have any idea how to figure it out.
don't seem to jibe with this

Quote:
It has nothing to do with a flame war. In my view as a public educator, you either support our public schools or you don't. And to say that public schools are "poisoning" people is hyperbole.
Because the first two statements do read as an indictment of our school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 04:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
This exactly. I've noticed that older people like to make fun of younger people for not being able to count back change, but it's just not something people learn these day. There is absolutely no reason to make fun of the younger generations for that.
Are you sure children are not learning this in grade school? I cannot imagine that.

Also, a parent could teach a child to do this, or an intelligent child could teach themselves. It's not rocket science. Who needs any kind of register at all to do this efficiently, correctly and quickly?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:44 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
[quote=tnff;47992682]I don't know about a flame war, but it seems that this

Quote:
It has nothing to with counting change. It has to do with being able to count to 100.[/quote]

and this

don't seem to jibe with this

Because the first two statements do read as an indictment of our school system.
Come on now. Is every little criticism of curriculum and indictment of American education?
If I say that they should spend more than 1 day on covering the causes of the Civil War, is that an indictment?
If I say that a middle school should require a one quarter elective in home economics or geography, is that an indictment?
If people disagree over whether handWRITING should be taught in school, is that an indictment?

Counting bills is something I learned back in the lower grades of elementary school. Maybe it's still taught. Maybe it's the person not maintaining the skill. One year when I was teaching earth science in 9th grade in high school, I was disgusted that the kids couldn't use the metric system at all when it was clearly in the 7th and 8th grad curriculum at the middle school. So I made an appointment with who seemed to be the guilty teacher in 8th grade, and he was very interested in my concern. He showed me all the work they did in the 8th grade using the metric system -- work sheets, lab activities, etc. Do this day I still do not understand how those kids could not use the metric system in the 9th grade, because clearly it had been taught, and had been used throughout the year in the 8th grade physical science class.

Methinks there is a wee bit of hyperbole here.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
In my case I suspect it was lazy thinking. I'm certain that depending on a computer to do your math for you can't possibly exercise your left brain the way classroom exercises using a paper and pencil can.

Maybe it's a case of machines preparing for the singularity. "Trust us. We're always right."

I bought something for eighteen dollars and handed her a twenty. She returned me four bills.

"You've given me too much change," I said.

"No," she replied and pointed to the cash register which said my change was four dollars. I don't know if she did something wrong or if there was something wrong with the machine.

I said, "Stop and think for a minute - what's the difference between eighteen and twenty?"

Light bulb goes on.

I have told this story several times and laugh every time. It's not because I'm making fun of that generation but laughter out of the sheer absurdity that such a situation could occur. Something is definitely wrong.

Maybe the problem is lack of sleep, not paying attention, an accidental brain glitch. But whatever it is it's not the kind of employee I'd want behind the cash register if it happens more than once.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:24 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
This actually happened to us. The girl gave a blank look, the machine did not tell her what to do for whatever reason, I don't know. She was told, "The change is $10 and 2 cents," which she was able to count out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
So the OP is that guy.
Please elucidate.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
In some cases, it is a matter of thinking the machine cannot be wrong. We had an experience where we took our girl scouts to McDonald's and for some reason the machine had been programmed with the wrong price for some of the orders. The cashier did not catch it and was going to give the girls their meal for a very small amount. Being girl scouts, we told the manager and were charged properly. I think someone had to reprogram the price after that.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:31 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Please elucidate.
You really needed that $10 bill back.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:03 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
When I was a cashier (working my way through college), I was very good at counting back change, and could easily do it without the register's help. However, we were required to enter the amount tendered (and, ideally, count back any change due into the customer's hand ). This would ensure they SAW the change, and had a PRINTED receipt of the amount.

You would not believe how many people would hand over 2 cents AFTER you had tendered the amount, drawer had opened, and you were ready to count back/hand them their change. Realize that some cashiers are held responsible for errors, and so want to make sure the till is balanced.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:06 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
There are always customers who want cashiers to read their minds and infer what kind of change they want back based on what they hand over in cash for the transaction. Sometimes what the customer wants is not actually in line with the procedures the cashier is required to follow. I do think it is well and good to be able to do that for a customer but if someone doesn't read your mind right that doesn't mean automatically that they're an idiot or that our schools are poor. It is quite true that in today's world the opportunities to learn and practice this skill as well as the need for it are smaller than ever. Youth handle cash less than ever before, and adults, too - for better or worse.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:24 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
[quote=phetaroi;47994674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I don't know about a flame war, but it seems that this

Come on now. Is every little criticism of curriculum and indictment of American education?
If I say that they should spend more than 1 day on covering the causes of the Civil War, is that an indictment?
If I say that a middle school should require a one quarter elective in home economics or geography, is that an indictment?
If people disagree over whether handWRITING should be taught in school, is that an indictment?

Counting bills is something I learned back in the lower grades of elementary school. Maybe it's still taught. Maybe it's the person not maintaining the skill. One year when I was teaching earth science in 9th grade in high school, I was disgusted that the kids couldn't use the metric system at all when it was clearly in the 7th and 8th grad curriculum at the middle school. So I made an appointment with who seemed to be the guilty teacher in 8th grade, and he was very interested in my concern. He showed me all the work they did in the 8th grade using the metric system -- work sheets, lab activities, etc. Do this day I still do not understand how those kids could not use the metric system in the 9th grade, because clearly it had been taught, and had been used throughout the year in the 8th grade physical science class.

Methinks there is a wee bit of hyperbole here.
No hyperbole. The words you used are often the beginning of a comment on the state of the American education system. There are even threads here in CD that fit the theme. Something along the lines of "Kids coming out of school today can't even do basic math." Which becomes various versions "Teachers are overpaid..." or "That's what the liberals want so no one questions them ...." I could even take that as a school principle also believes schools are failing at teaching. And as an educator you should know that's how those words are taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education