Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times

Advertisements

I reckon that if they had had Ritalin when I was a kid, they would have drugged me up with it.

Many kids just have too much energy and then they misbehave.

Go for the exercise thing. The more the better.

When I was a kid, I would come into the classroom and stir someone up. The teacher would send the rabblers out to run a lap round the sports field. In I would come and kick someone or something and the teacher would send me for another lap. Eventually, exhausted, I would come quietly into class and collapse (gently) into my seat. Interestingly, I do not recall ever considering not running. weird hay. Then presumably not long after, when I had recovered somewhat, I would actually focus on my studies.

Stairs, Sports fields, push ups, star jumps, Go for it. Burn off that energy.

Cripes Aussies and Americans are leading the world in F A T N E S S and bit of fitness would not go astray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
whole lota fat kids in school, unfortunately they perceive excercise as punishment 24/7.
much like parents.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,620 times
Are we not advanced enough yet to think P.E. should be elective class. A choice as pottery or some other benign pass time. I just saw on the news awhile back that studies show exercise does not cause weight loss. Controlling food intake does. So our gym teachers excuse that we need gym for that reason does not hold up. Some people in life are not extroverts and they like more quiet exercise like walks. Now they make the kids take tests on rules or soccer and all sports. Who cares? They just try to make it a more legitimate class. This junk is not going to help in our new age of tech jobs. More math & science! Minnesota requires Physical Education for graduation. I hate it.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I like the point system but not the stairs. I'd love to see a points system implemented in our school where kids earned priviledges if they keep their points and punishments, like detention, if they lose too many.

We have a problem with the same type of low level infractions like gum chewing, not working during work time in class or tardies that the school does nothing about. They tell us to enforce the policies but if I send a child to the office because they're not working in class they get sent back and don't bother sending one to the office for their 10th infraction for chewing gum that week. Don't let the administration catch a child chewing gum in your class either. That gets the teacher reprimanded.

It's only November and the undersides of the desks in my class are already covered with gum.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
I would love to see something like this implimented in my kids grade school. Not up and down the stairs, but, maybe laps or pushups something along those lines.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I reckon that if they had had Ritalin when I was a kid, they would have drugged me up with it.

Many kids just have too much energy and then they misbehave.

Go for the exercise thing. The more the better.

When I was a kid, I would come into the classroom and stir someone up. The teacher would send the rabblers out to run a lap round the sports field. In I would come and kick someone or something and the teacher would send me for another lap. Eventually, exhausted, I would come quietly into class and collapse (gently) into my seat. Interestingly, I do not recall ever considering not running. weird hay. Then presumably not long after, when I had recovered somewhat, I would actually focus on my studies.
Absolutely what 10 a.m. recess was for when I grew up. We snacked, we went outside, and we spent 20 minutes screaming in fresh air. I don't recall many who acted up after that. We had another half hour after lunch. That way, any sugar we consumed was burned off in short order.

Now they're lucky if they get 15 minutes after lunch. After subbing for a few years, I have no doubt whatsoever that many ADHD issues (especially HD) have a lot to do with pent up energy not being expended (and it's particularly obvious in K - 5 directly after snack time)IMO.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Absolutely what 10 a.m. recess was for when I grew up. We snacked, we went outside, and we spent 20 minutes screaming in fresh air. I don't recall many who acted up after that. We had another half hour after lunch. That way, any sugar we consumed was burned off in short order.

Now they're lucky if they get 15 minutes after lunch. After subbing for a few years, I have no doubt whatsoever that many ADHD issues (especially HD) have a lot to do with pent up energy not being expended (and it's particularly obvious in K - 5 directly after snack time)IMO.
I wish my kids got 15 minutes. My kids school has no recess and only has PE class once a week for 20 minutes.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM

49 posts, read 56,867 times
Default punishment

Kids would become more healthy. Nobody could say that you left whelps on my kids.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarMancer View Post
Are we not advanced enough yet to think P.E. should be elective class. A choice as pottery or some other benign pass time. I just saw on the news awhile back that studies show exercise does not cause weight loss. Controlling food intake does. So our gym teachers excuse that we need gym for that reason does not hold up. Some people in life are not extroverts and they like more quiet exercise like walks. Now they make the kids take tests on rules or soccer and all sports. Who cares? They just try to make it a more legitimate class. This junk is not going to help in our new age of tech jobs. More math & science! Minnesota requires Physical Education for graduation. I hate it.
The study that you refer to said exercise alone is not sufficient for losing weight, diet is critical. The article specifically said that exercise stimulates hunger, causing people to eat more...and worse food after exercising, negating the weight loss benefits. Sounds like common sense to me. Now people are twisting the results of the study to justify why they are overweight. Exercise and proper diet has and always will make you lose weight. Read it for yourself.

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME

Why shouldn't physical education be required. Every child has a body and should know how to use it to be healthy. Not every child will be an engineer or a doctor or a school teacher. Children cannot be expect to sit and be still for 8-9 hours a day. How can a small child do that without going crazy. Let them blow off steam for 30 minutes. Children need to learn about exercise early to live healthy and happier lives. Obviously their parents aren't teaching them this.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I like the point system but not the stairs. I'd love to see a points system implemented in our school where kids earned priviledges if they keep their points and punishments, like detention, if they lose too many.

We have a problem with the same type of low level infractions like gum chewing, not working during work time in class or tardies that the school does nothing about. They tell us to enforce the policies but if I send a child to the office because they're not working in class they get sent back and don't bother sending one to the office for their 10th infraction for chewing gum that week. Don't let the administration catch a child chewing gum in your class either. That gets the teacher reprimanded.

It's only November and the undersides of the desks in my class are already covered with gum.
I like the point system too. My middle school son earns tickets for good behavior and can buy small items/privileges. He is well aware that it is a privilege and not a right. He also loses them when necessary which motivates him to behave appropriately. I wouldn't be adverse to his running a few laps 'tho if his behavior warranted it. Stairs would be harder to manipulate for those who are less coordinated IMO. If stairclimbing was something done while donning backpacks, I would think that it would invite injury. I know I have watched smaller kids practically tip over with the weight of their backpacks.

Last edited by cebdark; 11-02-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education