Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On a scale from 1-10, how satisfied are you with your child's school?
10- it is absolutely the ideal learning environment for my child 2 7.14%
9 6 21.43%
8 5 17.86%
7 5 17.86%
6 2 7.14%
5- It's okay. Not the best situation, but not the worst. 5 17.86%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1- It's terrible, and I wish I could pull my child out yesterday. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,375 times

Advertisements

I hear parents complain about schools in general, and also rave about how wonderful their kids' schools are. It seems like most parents say that their child goes to one of the "best" schools in their area... I never hear anyone say that their kid goes to the "worst" school in the area, but I imagine they exist?

So, no holds barred, and it's anonymous, how satisfied are you with the school that your child goes to? If you have kids going to more than one school, average it out. Taking into consideration: the teachers, other staff, rules, any testing required, the way parents are treated, everything.

If you care to elaborate, what do you love about the school(s), and what would you change if you could? If you could send your child to any school in your state/area (no financial or transportation limitations), would you still choose to send them to the one they go to presently?

(If you homeschool, count that as your child's school, if you want to vote in the poll. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
The school my boys are in right now is the worse school overall I have ever seen. There are some good teachers, but for every one good teacher, there are 5 that stink on ice. Ever hear a science teacher teach that the great lakes are dyed blue to draw more tourist dollars. How about teaching that there are NO fish than can breath air, even when presented with books containing descriptions of the lung fish, the climbing perch, the Northern Snakehead, and several others, they stand steadfast that they are types of salamanders. Ever had your kid miss lunch because his class isn't lined up straight enough in the hallway outside the lunchroom? I could go on and on which is sad considering we have only been here for 2 years. The school is a BIG reason we are leaving the area and returning to where we came from. There the school is fantastic and we cannot wait to get the boys back there.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
I picked 9, but I pay $18,000/year to stay out of our public schools which I would give a 2.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:07 AM

151 posts, read 702,981 times
My pick was 5. Where to begin...the school she went to last year had 60 fights in one month, this one has 0 fights, but...most of her teachers care that she learns, and will communicate with me when they see a change that I need to help with. Her peers are not the best as parental involvement not very high. I'm an advocate of public schools, but unfortunately that goes along with parents being less involved...so much will follow that issue. The principal promptly responds to any concerns we may have. Any other issues I have I realize that I will have them no matter which school she attends, because that is the nature of the beast.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
My son goes to a great High School with a good balance of AP's, honors and regular classes. He participates in a fun robotics club that is open to anyone and Marching Band that doesn't go crazy with competitions but still does very well at the ones they do participate in. The elementary schools in our district are small and well run. The middle school? Well, it's a great middle school, it's the hormonal kids that make it crazy. We picked our house because of the schools so if we don't like it, we can only blame ourselves.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
7- My HS did not have the best reputation but it was in an area that was far ahead of most of the country in education. There were a few fights and a few thugs but if you avoided and handled your business you got a good education at my HS. I have a B/C average in college so i can say i was decently prepared in college.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I would have said 9 for my high school, my parents said 10. They were happy the school held me back from taking 7 AP classes in a year but me- not so much. :P

My high school went up to both Spanish 7 and French 7 with programs in German and Latin as well (and now they have a new program in Chinese). We were an IB school and offered every AP course besides the AP languages that my school did not teach (so really AP Chinese and AP Italian). To this day, I am still friends with many of my teachers and I consider them the biggest role models in my life- two even probably being a bit more influential in terms of my life goals than my parents!

You only get out of it what you put into it and even an amazing school such as mine can be discounted by students and parents who choose to ignore their own problems and place them solely on the school. Generally even the "worst" schools have great teachers, just how is a teacher going to teach when the child goes home and the parents don't care if she does her homework or if he goes to school hungry or exhausted the next morning? Or if the child goes to school at all? There are always bad teachers (and I've had quite a few!) but most out there are great.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I love my daughter's school. She goes to a public GT magnet school and thrives there. The school has the same core curriculum as the other schools but also has accelerated programs and enrichment programs All of her teachers have been wonderful--smart, caring and nurturing. There is an amazing level of parental involvement.

She went to our neighborhood school for kindergarten before testing into the magnet school and I was happy with it also. Because the neighborhood was economically diverse, it presented her teacher with different challenges because the students started at such different levels. But overall I thought the teachers and administration did a very good job.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,424 times
I rate my sons public middle school a 7 mainly because he doesn't have any text books... not one. All work is done on printouts, yet they have laptops assigned to them(this is a statewide policy). I'm all for technology, but whatever happened to good old fashioned research using a book?
My only other complaint would be they do not offer advanced classes for those needing more of a challenge. Instead they offer programs periodically the kids can apply to.
The teachers are competent and go the extra mile in doing things such as sending an email each night with a brief description of the activities and the homework assignment(s) for that night... very helpful, as we don't have to pry the info out of him. They seem strict but fair regarding discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education