Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 AM

109 posts, read 100,012 times

Advertisements

You can define intelligence anyway you would like to , whether it be down to knowledge or at making decisions.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,632,092 times
I'm going with the dictionary definition. The first type of person I thought of is a college professor because they have a headful of knowledge about the subject they're teaching (acquiring knowledge), and they can recite it without looking at a book (ability to apply that knowledge, i.e., teaching it).

I don't know any college professors in real life, but I know 2 Sunday School teachers who have a ton of advanced knowledge of the Bible, down to knowing the Greek/Hebrew words. They're not Christian college professors either, just 2 guys with regular jobs. Although I think one of them did go to seminary, in addition to still having his regular job.

Intelligence is so hard to define though. You can be really intelligent about one thing and totally clueless about another.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 PM

4,835 posts, read 6,848,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I'm going with the dictionary definition. The first type of person I thought of is a college professor because they have a headful of knowledge about the subject they're teaching (acquiring knowledge), and they can recite it without looking at a book (ability to apply that knowledge, i.e., teaching it).

I don't know any college professors in real life, but I know 2 Sunday School teachers who have a ton of advanced knowledge of the Bible, down to knowing the Greek/Hebrew words. They're not Christian college professors either, just 2 guys with regular jobs. Although I think one of them did go to seminary, in addition to still having his regular job.

Intelligence is so hard to define though. You can be really intelligent about one thing and totally clueless about another.

Time to make some waves.

The most intelligent people I know are essentially social morons. They're like fish out of the water in real life situations. They struggle interacting with the average person. In talking about truly brilliant people who have the ability of interjecting knowledge on most any subject of a truly complicated nature, this observation that I stated pretty much holds true. Sad, but true.

Least intelligent? It's a big giant tie. Enumerable people vying for the honor and the list is growing fast.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 5,536,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Time to make some waves.

The most intelligent people I know are essentially social morons. They're like fish out of the water in real life situations. They struggle interacting with the average person. In talking about truly brilliant people who have the ability of interjecting knowledge on most any subject of a truly complicated nature, this observation that I stated pretty much holds true. Sad, but true.

Least intelligent? It's a big giant tie. Enumerable people vying for the honor and the list is growing fast.
I wonder who might be on that list. . .

Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,851,671 times
One of the most intelligent people I have ever known was my grandfather. Born in 1895, he had only three years of formal education and that was in a tiny one-room mountain schoolhouse. But he was able to supplement those three years with a lifetime of experience and self-education. He didn't have formal learning, but he had "smarts". Formal education doesn't necessarily give you "smarts".

Least intelligent? Probably one of my former bosses whose wealthy family had "bought" him an education/degree (when your family name is on the biggest building on campus, you're going to get a diploma one way or the other). In real life, the man couldn't figure his way out of a paper bag. His family provided his "job", too, and thank goodness the rest of us could carry the slack.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,872,339 times
Intelligent people can have a lively and engaging discussion that does not mention politicians, celebrities, sports figures, pop stars or reality shows.

Which pretty much rules out 95% of the population who cannot discuss anything BUT.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceJackox View Post
You can define intelligence anyway you would like to...
I'm the most intelligent person I know.
I'm the least intelligent person I know.

That's the type of answer you get with those constraints.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,453,943 times
I know a lot of intelligent people, but they are knowledgeable about their own areas of expertise. My father is incredibly intelligent and one of the smartest people I know. That is one reason I am having such a horrible time with him starting to show signs of Alzheimer's. It is hard to see that brilliance fade.

The least intelligent are the people who write comments on news articles. I cannot believe the poorly written drivel posted, not to mention the incredible rudeness. I think if you can't have a conversation without trying to belittle or berate someone else, you are in the "least intelligent" category.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
I'm not really sure where this thread should go, but I don't think it belongs on this forum. Closed

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education