Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award one them received, this was around 6:30 pm so the kids (girls) certainly had time to go home and change. I'm just setting the scene, anyway, the girls, at least 3/4's of them were way under dressed, not dirty, or too casual but holy cow, the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs.
Seems like you should have spent more time celebrating your son's accomplishments and less time thinking about young girl's genitals.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
There are 3 things in this thread that I don't like:

1. Insults that have the intention of making people shut up.
2. Women lecturing men in a way that basically says that men don't have a right to an opinion on the topic.
3. Men lecturing women in a way that basically says that women don't have a right to an opinion on the topic.

And this is what this discussion, over time, in various threads and iterations, always devolves into.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If they had uniforms the problem would be solved. Also solved would be the competition among the girls for trendy clothing. That would make them pay more attention to school than to clothing.

It also reduces the stigma of rich with nice clothes and poor with cheap clothes. Also makes it a LOT easier to figure out what to wear to school each day.

Other countries require kids to wear uniforms and the kids don't mind. The girls wear tights to keep their legs warm since their uniforms are skirts and tops. I've seen in it American charter schools that are for low performing kids--not a strict uniform but a requirement for light blue from the waist up and dark blue waist down. The kids behaved better and paid more attention in class--it's the same as when you dress up for an event or you dress like a slob. Dress like a slob, you are more inclined to act like a slob.
Except that this thread is about an after-school hours ceremony where students were being recognized for a National Honor Society-related award, no?

Even at schools that do require uniforms, they generally are not required for activities outside of the school day, like evening awards and induction ceremonies.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:23 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

2. Women lecturing men in a way that basically says that men don't have a right to an opinion on the topic.
3. Men lecturing women in a way that basically says that women don't have a right to an opinion on the topic.

And this is what this discussion, over time, in various threads and iterations, always devolves into.
You know what part of the thread I didn't like? The part where a grown man, who is also a father, was discussing the pubic area of underage, teen girls.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You know what part of the thread I didn't like? The part where a grown man, who is also a father, was discussing the pubic area of underage, teen girls.
And, just as he has a right to state his opinion, so do you.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Quote:
And, just as he has a right to state his opinion, so do you.
Fixating on the pubic area of teenage girls and talking about looking up their skirts is not an opinion.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Fixating on the pubic area of teenage girls and talking about looking up their skirts is not an opinion.
Crude as his comments were, I think you missed the main point of his comments.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:01 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
So the other day I went to to the high school where my son's go for a National Honors Soceity Award one them received, this was around 6:30 pm so the kids (girls) certainly had time to go home and change. I'm just setting the scene, anyway, the girls, at least 3/4's of them were way under dressed, not dirty, or too casual but holy cow, the amount of space between their butts and the bottom of these outfits were short, like shave before you leave the home short and I don't mean their legs.

As a father who once went through puberty and knowing a boy going through puberty is like 10 times the hormone change that girls go through during their cycle, it's a wonder most boys don't fail out of high school. Are the boys conditioned through middle school with half naked girls they go to school with?....,or are the outfits allowed in public school getting a little out of hand. I'm far from a conservative and I graduated school back in '91, so I'm not a 100 either.

How are most teachers/parents feelings on this, is it a non issue, am I just old, or do schools with dress codes produce or even have more attentive boys in classes?
This is nothing new. The elementary school I went to, eliminated the dress code when I was in the 2nd grade. This was in the 1960s. By the time I got to Junior High School, some girls were wearing mini skirts. Probably more revealing than anything girls are wearing today. It didn't seem to cause any problems. Everybody survived it just fine.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:

The difference is there are several men in this thread who refuse to accept responsibility for their own behavior. Instead the responsibility is on teenaged girls. That is sexist.

Additionally, far too many people feel it is ppropriate to comment on teenaged girl's bodies, assign motives and personality traits based on their clothing, all things they would never do to teenaged boys. For example I have a student this year who never wears a belt. His underwear is always visible, especially if he is doing so,ethic physical or picking something up off the floor. If he were a girl, many on this thread would talk about how little self respect he has, how he is trying to get attention, etc. Yet somehow that doesn't happen to the guys who break dress codes. Additionally, no one is clutching their pearls over girls being unable to control themselves over exposed underwear or midriff. We still hold the girls responsible for learning rather than ogle the boy. It's all sexist and wrong.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
It's exactly this^

Someone is always going to complain no matter what girls wear.

Someone is ogle and gawk no matter what girls wear.

OP, you don't think girls and women get hit on, gawked at, and receive inappropriate comments from "pigs" every single day? No matter what they're wearing? Or what they're doing? Or where they are?

Doesn't matter what length someone's shorts are, or if their top is too low at the neckline, or too high at the waistline...they will be ogled, catcalled, groped, gawked at, whatever...by some jackass. It happens regardless of attire.

^^That's what you need to understand^^
And some attire is going to draw more ogling and gawking than other attire. It's undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The difference is there are several men in this thread who refuse to accept responsibility for their own behavior. Instead the responsibility is on teenaged girls. That is sexist.

Additionally, far too many people feel it is ppropriate to comment on teenaged girl's bodies, assign motives and personality traits based on their clothing, all things they would never do to teenaged boys. For example I have a student this year who never wears a belt. His underwear is always visible, especially if he is doing so,ethic physical or picking something up off the floor. If he were a girl, many on this thread would talk about how little self respect he has, how he is trying to get attention, etc. Yet somehow that doesn't happen to the guys who break dress codes. Additionally, no one is clutching their pearls over girls being unable to control themselves over exposed underwear or midriff. We still hold the girls responsible for learning rather than ogle the boy. It's all sexist and wrong.
There's plenty of discussion about how disrespectful young men with their underwear exposed are.

Females and males react differently. There's nothing sexist about it, it's just the way that we're made. It's too bad that some women are trying to emasculate their sons and make them feel shame for the feelings they have. Young men need to be taught how to deal with these feelings appropriately, not that there's something abnormal or shameful about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education