Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times

Advertisements

I didn't read beyond the first page, so this may be repetitive.

I spent the majority of my teaching career in upper elementary. Never had I heard of a parent regretting waiting a year. On the flip side, I typically had one or two kids per year whose parents wish they had waited a year. Problems usually don't begin to show up until upper elementary. By then, the stigma of retention is typically worse on a child then allowing them to continue to struggle.
I'm not just speaking academically. Academically, socially, maturity, size, etc...

Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is a real logic fallacy
It happened to me throughout my school years. I was always behind, had to go to summer school every single year.

So, it's not a fallacy.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It happened to me throughout my school years. I was always behind, had to go to summer school every single year.

So, it's not a fallacy.
The style of argument is a fallacy, when mom says "I feel like it's my duty to teach DS that he doesn't need trophies or to always be the best in order to be happy" she is NOT saying "(I'd) rather he always be behind, and seen as slow to the other kids". In no way did she say that.

What happened to you may not happen to the OP's kid.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
As a late Nov birthday holder I was close to the cutoff and I do believe I would have benefited from starting a year later. Same as said previously by others, I was youngest in class, behind in most classroom work (early on) and athletically could have used that extra time.

Who is to say it would have been any different for me had my start been delayed?

Consider it at the least. There is no right answer.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM

296 posts, read 318,977 times
Almost every kid is 18 some time in their senior year of HS unless they've skipped grades or have a summer birthday. That's normal.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
We did. He is a June 25 kid, smart enough, but a bit on the sensitive side. His pre school teacher recommended it. We were on the fence, and the advice we got is "you won't regret doing it, but you might regret not doing it".

He doesn't notice that he is an older kid, as there are other kids "redshirted", plus there are still all the September, October, November, etc kids who aren't much younger.

It ended up a GREAT decision on our part.

As a reference point, the school district I grew up in LONG AGO changed their cutoff from Sept 1 to June 1 because so many summer boys were struggling down the road.

Sure , the argument is that SOMEONE has to be the youngest, but I would be very sure that if it is your child, they are ready emotionally and physically.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When anyone is a year behind, people assume that he is stupid and was refused promotion.. It will follow him the rest of his life.
This is truly a stupid ass comment.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasoap View Post
The people laying the cutoffs have done thorough studies to figure out when kids should start Kindergarten. They know what they're talking about and I feel like it would be arrogant to act as if I knew better.
No, so-called "experts" do not know what is best for you or your children. You do.

To heck with the government and to heck with "experts" and their nonsense studies. All those "studies" are just a taxpayer funded money grab anyway.

Children learn to walk at various ages. They learn to speak at various ages. They learn to poop on the toilet at various ages. Why would their ability to absorb knowledge be any different?

Parents, and citizens in general: we all need to start learning to do what's right by us when we feel the time is right instead of automatically complying with what some bean counter decides.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
As a late Nov birthday holder I was close to the cutoff and I do believe I would have benefited from starting a year later. Same as said previously by others, I was youngest in class, behind in most classroom work (early on) and athletically could have used that extra time.

Consider it at the least. There is no right answer.
In most states, like ours, the cutoff is September 1st, so a child with a fall birthday would have to wait until they were almost 6 to start Kindergarten. If DS were born in the fall and we lived in an area with a late cutoff, I would strongly consider redshirting him, as he would not be eligible to start in most states. However, as it is, he is eligible to start Kindergarten in our state as well as the vast majority of states, so I see no reason not to send him. But in your case, I can totally understand if you felt you should have been sent a year later.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 PM

96 posts, read 135,812 times
My son also has an August birthday and will start kindergarten right after he turns 5. In our case, his preschool teachers are telling me that he's more than ready to start K, and in their words "it would be a disservice to him" to hold him back. I really think it's an issue that should be made individually. My son just seems ready - emotionally, socially & academically. He's one of the more "mature" kids in his preschool class. I am still frankly nervous about how it will all play out as he gets older. It's hard to know how things will go for him in future years. He is likely to be short and hit puberty later than average (genetics), and I am concerned about that. But, my husband and I are taking our best guess now and are committed to helping him with his education to the extent that we're able. It is hard to be right near the age cut-off (ours is Sept. 1 also). It was so much easier with our December birthday daughter.

I know several families who have red-shirted their kids. I don't think there's a stigma about being older, since it is very common, at least where I live. One girl even has a May birthday. But, she was born very premature and has anxiety issues and is very shy. She is bright but she wasn't ready, at all, to start school when she was 5. I think her parents made the right decision. She did K this year and turns 7 this month. I know it may seem a little crazy to be that "old", but she is the same size as most kindergarteners and fit right in in terms of maturity and readiness to start school.

My main feeling on red-shirting is that I'm glad parents get some leeway on when to start school. It's a topic for another thread, but I wish the pacing through elementary school could also be more flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education