Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

So...

how much of that will they remember in 10 years because no one is going to hire a 11 year old? When they hit puberty, will they care more about filing job reports or the office secretary?

its fine if they have money/patronage to do projects at home, corporations however are not going to babysit

not the 1800s where kid geniuses can be "eccentric" and chase girls in between job duties. Hurray for laws right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I pity these kids as their intelligence becomes a competitive sport for their parents. I'll let them be kids in age appropriate school , enroll them in few non credit online courses from top colleges in subjects they enjoy, send them to interesting summer camps and get involved in sports and fine arts. What's the rush?
I did not see anything in the OP that says the boys do not also do normal kid things.

The younger one asked to be home schooled because he was bored in second grade.

I think this mom has done a fantastic job.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2017/05/...rson-huey-you/

Old 05-27-2017, 08:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
That's my point. It's more about her than them. They are doing what's expected. We are hearing what she says. I'm not saying they are not amazing or she is not dedicated, it doesn't change the fact that she is running this show and stands as third person in this picture. Pushing kids beyond their age may have lots of pros but there are cons as well. Let's not forget that, no matter how much fun siblings can be, kids need friends and girlfriends.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
That's my point. It's more about her than them. They are doing what's expected. We are hearing what she says. I'm not saying they are not amazing or she is not dedicated, it doesn't change the fact that she is running this show and stands as third person in this picture. Pushing kids beyond their age may have lots of pros but there are cons as well. Let's not forget that, no matter how much fun siblings can be, kids need friends and girlfriends.
I see no evidence she is "pushing" them. The younger boy asked to be taken out of second grade and home schooled.

Of course she is running the show. She's the adult. However, those boys are crazy smart. Confining them to classes that they would find mind numbingly boring would be cruel. Public school would be teaching to the lower performing students and private school would not be much better.

None of what I have read says they do not have friends.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:54 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Where's the father? The kids don't have the same name the mother has but they have the same name as each other and it's hyphenated (neither side of the hyphen is the mother's name. Something is missing in this story.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Where's the father? The kids don't have the same name the mother has but they have the same name as each other and it's hyphenated (neither side of the hyphen is the mother's name. Something is missing in this story.
Why is this relevant? The story also does not mention what they had for breakfast or whether the children were breastfed or bottlefed. How does any of that relate to the story at all?

Old 05-30-2017, 01:51 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The article said that she is divorced, if that is relevant to you and you are not stereotyping a minority woman.

So where do these kids go from here- do they have jobs lined up, do they go into private research? Are they not eligible for certain things because of their ages regardless of how brilliant they are?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:36 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So where do these kids go from here- do they have jobs lined up, do they go into private research? Are they not eligible for certain things because of their ages regardless of how brilliant they are?
Maybe academia? Terrence Tao completed his Masters at 16, PhD at 21, and was a full professor at UCLA at 24.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

Old 05-31-2017, 11:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
These boys speak Mandarin, have an Asian last name and facial features, are they half Asians?

Old 05-31-2017, 12:01 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
I have a cousin who was pushed this way although not as dramatically. Graduated college at 19, PhD at 23. The problem was that she had a tough time with peers and now (in her 40's) really regrets missing out on regular life. She never went to any high school activities, no dances or proms, no sleepovers with friends, etc. It was all about school and the next degree. She did marry eventually and has kids but even now finds it difficult to be social. My question is, where is the virtue in this type of acceleration? Why is this superior? Life is much more than education and careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education