Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Maybe academia? Terrence Tao completed his Masters at 16, PhD at 21, and was a full professor at UCLA at 24.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao
Here is one genius dude I recalled from 90's, guess he was pushed for nothing as he runs an improv comedy club and not using dozens of science degrees he was made to collect in his youth. I say good for him. His sister is a librarian in Alaska so probably both got out of the shadows of their parents and trying to live average normal lives.

Neighbors: The Genius Improviser (Season 3, Episode 5) | Nashville Public Radio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kearney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
These boys speak Mandarin, have an Asian last name and facial features, are they half Asians?
I don't think so. This is an earlier article from when Carson started college and it has a picture of his dad.

Child prodigy Carson Huey-You,11, starts freshman year at college - NY Daily News

The last name is interesting. It appears to be Asian. Andre Huey-You is dad. Carson Huey-You is the older boy. He is a skilled pianist as well as speaking Mandarin fluently. Apparently, he learned Mandarin in college.
The parents are divorced, btw.

Carson Huey-You graduated yesterday from Texas Christian University with a degree in physics and dual-minors in Chinese linguistics and Applied Math. He enters graduate school next fall en route to a Phd in Quantum Mechanics.

Interestingly
Fourteen-year-old physics major is TCU's youngest graduate | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Quote:
He said his three hardest classes were American environmental history, general chemistry II and classical mechanics.
Quote:
“I’m a normal dude,” Huey-You said, adding that he has friends his age.

Huey-You likes to read “Lord of the Rings” and “The Chronicles of Narnia.” He plays chess and checkers and has long been a fan of “Minecraft,” a building and adventure video game. Huey-You also hangs out with his little brother, Cannan, and Klaus, a 2-year-old dog the family rescued. Their pet is named after scientist Klaus von Klitzing, who won a Nobel Prize in physics in 1985.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I have a cousin who was pushed this way although not as dramatically. Graduated college at 19, PhD at 23. The problem was that she had a tough time with peers and now (in her 40's) really regrets missing out on regular life. She never went to any high school activities, no dances or proms, no sleepovers with friends, etc. It was all about school and the next degree. She did marry eventually and has kids but even now finds it difficult to be social. My question is, where is the virtue in this type of acceleration? Why is this superior? Life is much more than education and careers.
These boys seem to be profoundly gifted. Their needs for academic stimulation undoubtedly go far beyond what any regular school could offer them. In the article, it seems as though their mom does make sure that they are social with other children their ages and that they have age-appropriate interests. I would say that meeting their academic needs is superior to letting them languish in a typical school setting. If they were on the other end of the spectrum and had severe learning disabilities, I'm sure that people would want their needs to be met and for them not to be simply placed with their agemates if they could not keep up. Being profoundly gifted is a special need; it's just not in the way that the term "special needs" is usually used.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Once they finish their education early, there will be plenty of time to have "fun". But I suspect they will spend their time doing great things with their life while the "normal" kids who had fun in high school are probably still living with mommy and daddy and working dead end jobs because they never spent anytime during the formative years learning anything worthwhile.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-01-2017 at 01:00 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't know that these kids have been pushed, it sounds like a natural born gift. Nobody is going to get a 3 year old to do calculus if they don't really want to! LOL! Good on mom for finding a way for these guys to do their thing.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Just want to comment that there are some high schools out there that can accommodate profoundly gifted kids where the academics can be individualized and highly accelerated, while still allowing kids to socialize with peers at their socioemotional level. My daughter attends a program like this and will take college courses and do independent research through her home high school.

I think this type of extreme grade skipping should be a last resort as there are too many negative social risks and plenty of better academic alternatives out there IMO. The times I have seen this done with kids in my area: 1) The kids were no more advanced than the top kids in their gifted classes (I saw the test scores and work) 2) The school/teachers would have been able to accommodate them with college level courses/work 3) They had a parent that, for whatever reason, was really pushing the child in that direction. 4) The long term outcome was not educationally or socially superior IMO

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-06-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Also, is TCU a strong physics program? Maybe if he had stayed longer with high school advanced prereqs/programs he could have been a good fit for, say, MIT or Caltech physics...

Old 06-06-2017, 03:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is sad. Kids should have an opportunity to be kids.
With social media and smartphones, no one has the opportunity to be a kid anymore.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Just want to comment that there are some high schools out there that can accommodate profoundly gifted kids where the academics can be individualized and highly accelerated, while still allowing kids to socialize with peers at their socioemotional level. My daughter attends a program like this and will take college courses and do independent research through her home high school.

I think this type of extreme grade skipping should be a last resort as there are too many negative social risks and plenty of better academic alternatives out there IMO. The times I have seen this done with kids in my area: 1) The kids were no more advanced than the top kids in their gifted classes (I saw the test scores and work) 2) The school/teachers would have been able to accommodate them with college level courses/work 3) They had a parent that, for whatever reason, was really pushing the child in that direction. 4) The long term outcome was not educationally or socially superior IMO
It's likely that the parent would have looked into this to see if it were possible. Particularly since the younger child is currently in said high school. If the school could continue to accommodate the kids, they probably would. Our high school can help kids get their associate's degree (at the local two-year college), but that's it. If someone wanted to go and complete their bachelor's, it would need to be done separately.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

I doubt very much if any high school other than specialized gt high schools like the Davidson Academy or the Illinois Math/Science Academy can accommodate kids that are as advanced as these boys are. These boys were graduating high school at 11 and graduating college at 14. I know of no high school that would be able to keep up with them *and* allow them to be with same age peers.

Kids who are graduating with their age peers can certainly do some advanced work and get college degrees while going to high school, but what do you do with an 11 year old who has basically finished high school work? I think that you are missing how gifted these boys are. They are not typical gifted kids who were brought along by their schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education