Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times

Advertisements

The article makes an excellent point. In Bergen County, the only schools that require uniforms are lower preforming ones.

If that were the case in my county, I'd be against uniforms too.

It DOES send a signal to people who are considering where to locate, and this area considering uniforms is fast-growing.

What kind of new building/new families moving in do they hope to attract? I'd fight uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
Interesting. I haven't ever thought about it.

I had uniforms at my private prep school growing up for part of the time. By high school they got rid of uniforms altogether.

My kids are not in school that require a uniform. And the city schools only require them until 5th grade (although there are a handful of K-8 schools and those require them for middle school as well.)

Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Depends on what school uniforms signify in a given place.

Here, they signify affluent private preparatory academies, so the connotation is very different than in the article.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,815,445 times
I wore a uniform at a prestigious private school in London, and my child wore a uniform at a private school with a 95% college acceptance rate, with at least 80% receiving significant scholarships.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on what school uniforms signify in a given place.

Here, they signify affluent private preparatory academies, so the connotation is very different than in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I wore a uniform at a prestigious private school in London, and my child wore a uniform at a private school with a 95% college acceptance rate, with at least 80% receiving significant scholarships.

The gist of the article is that a negative opinion may be formed by prospective home buyers when public schools require uniforms.

Private schools can do what they want, and they probably don't use uniforms as a means to control large quantities of unruly students.

I think "but property values!" is a novel complaint from adults compared to the old "but freedom of expression!" that you typically hear from students.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM

23,967 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
W.A. speculation?

Uniforms are normally required in schools where the way kids dress becomes a problem or a distraction. If the problem does not arise, the school does not normally require uniforms. It is not about rich/poor or race, it is about whether the school has problems due to the way kids dress. Some charter schools leave it up to a vote by parents at the beginning of the school, some allow a vote each year. Many or maybe all public schools that ask kids to wear uniforms, it is optional. However parents like the idea and put their kids in uniforms. It avoids problem or distractions due to: offensive clothing either offensive content on shirts etc or too revealing; fashion competitions that set rich students apart from less wealthy ones (most uniform policies we have encountered also include shoes); gang related "colors" that can touch off fighting, bullying or exclusion.

I do not see how it has anything to do with real estate values, except if it actually prevents some of the distractions, fighting, bullying etc, then conceptually the kids will perform a little better on tests and the school will get ranked higher and real estate values will go up.
Precisely. They are usually indicative of a per-existing problem that is being masked with a band aid solution.

I did not grow up with school uniforms. There were parochial schools, and elite private schools in my area that wore uniforms or followed a dress code. The parochial school clothes were, in general, cheaper looking but not awful. The private school outfits were more preppy and yet, relaxed.

With the advent of "Charter Schools" and "Christian Schools", I see a lot of kids wearing polyester blend "Gildean" polos and Walmart khakis or navy blue chinos. Girls seem to wear the same shirts, but occasionally with a polyester blend skirt.

None of this is impressive.

In areas where there is no problem with gangs or inappropriate attire, I never see these uniforms. Parents dress their own children, and by HS, these values are inculcated into the student.

Does it LOWER property values? I would say "no". They were probably low already.

When I see these clothes on public school students or the presence of charter schools or fundamentalist "Christian Academies" - it's usually because the area is down scale.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,261,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I've known sought-after charter schools to require uniforms, and I've known inner-city schools that required uniforms to do away with gang colors and even the playing field for low income kids. It isn't the uniforms that lower the value. It's what's behind them.
Good point. I think it may have become an unintended signal.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In areas where there is no problem with gangs or inappropriate attire, I never see these uniforms. Parents dress their own children, and by HS, these values are inculcated into the student.

Does it LOWER property values? I would say "no". They were probably low already.
I tend to agree with you. If the school is at the point where it is considering it, then the ship has already sailed.

I certainly understand where she's coming from, though, but her logic puts the cart before the horse. The school uniform at public school presents an image that comes with a lot of negative baggage. It isn't that different than metal detectors at entrances. It isn't that the metal detectors make the school dangerous, its that dangerous kids force the need for metal detectors.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Uniforms are common in (k-8)public schools in South Florida. They were certainly not detrimental to high property values in our experience, we netted over $300,000 in profit when we sold after a short 3 year work assignment.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
A lot of the Catholic schools have always required uniforms. I don't see that as any influence on property values in that situation. That's a good point about requiring them in failing public schools. I didn't know about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education