Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:24 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
CA spends a fortune on public schools but getting very very bad results.

Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing
From your link, "The gap is not unique to California. In states that administer the same standardized exam as California, girls outscore boys by similar margins. In international reading comprehension exams, girls best boys in nearly every country and at nearly every age."

Old 06-06-2017, 08:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
What a laughable lawsuit.

The most important piece of information you provided was not that you had boys in your family who allegedly failed to learn to read despite the fact that they were impliedly of a higher socio-economic level. The most important fact provided was that your family has been in CA and is multi-generational. That's all I needed to know. This immediately brought images into my head of my experience growing up with countless lazy white students whose parents expected little from them. These students were rewarded irrespective of their performance. Black students have a myriad problems, but, most notably, the terrible state of the black family. Black students are also very lazy based on my observations. Both had better learn to compete and study and learn. Others (read: Asians) are hungry.
I don't know if this differs regionally in CA, but a big part of the problem is that the public schools didn't use phonics to teach reading. And around the 80's/90's sometime, they adopted the "see and say" method; I don't know if they still do that, but it would have affected the current generations involved in the study. The method chosen to teach reading does matter.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:02 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Schools have been failing boys for decades. There was a big push for girls in math and science (and education in general) since the 1970s but nothing reciprocal towards boys with reading, language and social studies. The gender gap in most colleges is 60% female 40% male now and only getting worse.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Blame the parents. Popping out a kid is the easy part.
Yes. It is the responsibility of the parent to educate their child, with assistance from the school, beginning with getting them excited to learn at an early age. Most parents nowadays just plop them in school and expect teachers to do all the work, and blame the school when their child is falling behind.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know if this differs regionally in CA, but a big part of the problem is that the public schools didn't use phonics to teach reading. And around the 80's/90's sometime, they adopted the "see and say" method; I don't know if they still do that, but it would have affected the current generations involved in the study. The method chosen to teach reading does matter.
This is so true. While some words cannot be spelled phonetically most can and when the schools changed it did not help reading skills at all.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From your link, "The gap is not unique to California. In states that administer the same standardized exam as California, girls outscore boys by similar margins. In international reading comprehension exams, girls best boys in nearly every country and at nearly every age."
Part of this may be due to society (and parents) telling girls they must do better or they will be left behind, while the boys are in effect being told they do not have to do so to compete with girls, so no worry. We hear constantly about gender discrimination and always pointed at females. This impacts kids around the world not just CA. CA may be a more vocal State in this regard, but they are not alone.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 PM

112 posts, read 133,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Um yeah, in the original link the OP posted.

--------------------------------------------------
Unlike in math, where girls have caught up to boys in California and elsewhere, female students in general maintain a sizable lead over their male classmates in the language arts. While initiatives to encourage girls to learn math and science have received considerable publicity, the gender reading gap is viewed less as a problem warranting action.
Not that I live in California, but anyways.....Last week I helped run a field trip for elementary student (both genders) that was meant to encourage careers in STEM. It was 100% volunteers dedicating their own time and resources, and in the end the volunteers were 100% women (I asked every guy in my office and none were the slight bit interested). In the end will the girls be more encouraged, and the boys put off by the lack of a male role model in the situation? I'm not sure.

My Mom volunteers in a 1:1 reading program and the majority of the kids she helps are boys. From what I've read the falling behind is more of a boy thing, not a resource thing as it occurs basically around the world. If you want to get more boys into reading though I think men need to step up and make it looker cooler.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Then fight for equality for boys. Oh but doing that would make you a racist, sexist, bigot, Nazis, despicable, etc., according to the democratic party and feminists.
No, it wouldn't. There's been a lot of talk in the media and studies done in the last 15 years, at least, on how boys are getting left behind, and why. What would racism have to do with it? Presumably the category "boys" includes all ethnicities, right? Or did you have something else in mind?

Old 06-09-2017, 04:25 PM

911 posts, read 590,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Yeah yeah, we've heard this all before, but.........

For the longest time black mothers have told their daughters quote,

"Girl, you must get a good education, because the chance of you marrying a good black man to take care of you the rest of your life is very small. Most successful black men will marry white."

Flag away
Which is not true.
Quote:
It is also believed that a large percentage of Black men marry White women. This is often cited as one of the causes of lower marriage rates among Black women. This however is only partially true. While Black men marry white women at twice rate that Black women marry White men, in 2014 only 14% percent of Black men were married to non-Black women which is up from 11% in 2010. Only half of those non-Black women were White.
BlackDemographics.com | MARRIAGE

Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
I taught my kids to read. It isn't that hard - don't you people teach your kids anything, or do you just hand them off to the nanny-state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education