Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Jesus Christ of Nazareth shouldn't be taught as a "world religion" but rather as a historical series of events that are factual, and can be pointed out in National Geographic through King Herod's still standing castles.

If other world religions have their roots in undeniable historical fact, then they should be taught that same way too.

He was a real person, whether you believe him divine or not, and should be taught in the same way we learn about King Henry the VIII and his 6 wives.
Oh, okay. Do you have any concept of how much time high school students spend learning about King Henry the VIII today. Not zero, but not far from it. And the fact that he had 6 wives...that has no real historic status around the world. The Kardashians get more attention in the world today.

Honestly, perhaps you need to actually take a look at an American high school textbook written in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
The "anno domini" notation wasn't invented until the 6th Century and didn't come into common use until, IIRC, like the 9th or 10th Century? People didn't start counting 1 AD back in 1 AD or even 400 AD by 400 AD; the counting scheme was devised retroactively over five hundred years after the projected time of Christ by, naturally, a Christian monk. Before that there were several year numbering schemes in use in that part of the world; if I remember correctly, which I might not, the most common year measuring system in Europe was based on the reigns of Roman leaders, like, if something happened in year eleven of Bob's reign, the year was Bob 11. Whatever, it's been a long time since college. I'm sure you can look it up, lol.

I'm not even going to get into the debatable historicity of Jesus of Nazareth.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess is, they are sick and tired of policing the length of skirts and shorts. And maybe they're trying to stave off a situation where boys ask to wear skirts also, since they're very comfortable and girls get to wear them. (I'm not joking here, a man in Britain did this just last week).

I heard of something like that. Sounds like this...
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...uniform-policy

86 to 95 degrees F.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
When I was in elementary school we had a policy of allowing skirts, dresses, and shorts as long as they were at least as long as where your hand ended, laying it flat down.

I think telling girls they have to dress like boys is ridiculous and insulting.

Also, nonsecular "holiday" songs during the season is laughable. It's no way to teach. A better way is to celebrate all faiths and respect them, the children would actually learn something and gain some cultural exposure. A basic overview of religion should be taught in the schools IMO, if nothing more than to make them aware of the varying faiths and appreciate our nation's freedom of religion.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
As promised - here is the dress code from the handbook:

Shirts must be collared with 3 buttons.
  • Polo shirts must be red, gold, or royal blue and embroidered with the school name and logo.
  • Shirts must be sized to allow for a 3-4 inch overlap to be tucked into the uniform pants.
  • All shirts must be correctly tucked inside pants at all times and secured in place with a belt.
Bottoms:

Pants / skorts (skorts are worn in grades PreK-2nd) navy blue or khaki
  • Belts must be worn at all times. They must be plain, black, and fastened securely at waist level.
  • Pants must be fitted to student correctly
  • Pants that are too tight, too big, frayed, torn,or distressed are not acceptable and will be deemed in violation of the uniform code. Low pants are not acceptable.
  • Pants may not have cargo pockets, unusual tailoring and/or labels.
  • Jeans are not allowed (unless special permissionis given by the principal).
Sweaters:

Uniform Sweaters must be solid royal blue, gray, black, or red with the school’s logo. No hooded sweaters and in the absence of a uniform sweater, only solid colored sweaters (royal blue, gray, black, or red) without lettering or brand logo maybe worn.

Undershirts:
  • Undershirts, if worn, may only be red, gold, or royal blue and must always be tucked inside of the pants.
  • During cool weather a plain red, gold, or royal blue long sleeve or turtle neck may be worn underneath uniform shirts.
Shoes:

Black closed toe shoes or sneakers must be worn.
  • No sandals, crocs, boots, heels, or platforms hoes are allowed.
Spirit/Club Shirts & Jeans:

These items are limited to pre-designated days.
  • Only long blue jeans are allowed on Jeans Days for a $1. If your child does not provide his homeroom teacher with a $1 for Jean Day, your child will be asked to call home for a change of clothing.
  • Jeans with holes are not acceptable.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-29-2017 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Fix weird formatting

Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's not the issue here, though. Grandma just wants the child to wear a skirt because she's a girl.

AND my granddaughter doesn't like wearing pants either. Even when it's cold she will rarely opt to put on pants. In addition, this is SW Florida where from May-October and sometimes through December it is hot & humid EVERY DAY. We hit at least 75-80 most days from December-May but with the strong sun here it feels warmer. We don't have the little heat waves that they do elsewhere in the country; our heat wave is for 4-6 months. They don't keep the a/c very cool either. The school has a separate uniform for P.E. and all the other sports so it's not like the school wants them to wear pants for that reason. I do want to know their thinking when it comes to making the girls in 3rd grade and up wear long pants.

Her mother AND her father (my son) leave a lot to be desired as parents which is why her maternal grandparents have custody. My granddaughter lives with them Mon.-Fri. and with my son and I on the weekends and most of the summer, Christmas and Easter break. Oh wait I said Christmas and Easter, what was I thinking? Winter and Spring break - I wouldn't want to offend any non-Christians.

And for those who think grandparents have nothing to say about any of this let me ask you this. Your grandchild is being bullied at school or having their lunch money stolen. You are retired and both parents work full time. Do you feel you shouldn't be involved? How many grandparents do you know that are helping raise their grandchildren or at least helping out a lot? We volunteer at my granddaughter's school. For mother's day, the school had a breakfast for the moms. My granddaughter's mother at first told my son she couldn't make it because she didn't have a car (the school is about 30-45 minutes away from where we both live). My son offered to drive her. Then she said it was too early in the morning and she had to take care of her new baby. She has 3 children with 3 different men, my son is the first baby daddy and her second child is with his paternal grandparents to give you a clue what kind of mother she is. So my son went in her place for the Mother's Day Breakfast. It hurts my heart to see my granddaughter treated like this by her own mother.

I'm not complaining about the color of the shirts, the pants, the shoes or anything petty like that. For the PC culture we are now in, seems to me they are trying to turn the girls into unisex little soldiers who can't be girls because a boy can't control himself in elementary school.

Anyhow, I discussed this with my granddaughter and she doesn't want to change schools and the cost of one of the private Christian schools is over $600 a month. I have not heard back from the principal yet regarding my message to her yesterday about the pants but it's possible nobody is in the office yet. I do want to know the school's reasoning for requiring the girls in 3rd grade up to wear pants now.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-29-2017 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence

Old 06-29-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A local news station isn't going to care that children have to wear uniforms to school. And you're a fool for putting the child in this! Sure send her to school breaking the rules and SHE will be the one punished NOT you! Stop this nonsense. Learn to pick our battles in life. This isn't even your child. This is your son's decision NOT yours! Butt out!

You're very rude and need to learn some manners. You have no idea why this child is being raised by grandparents. You are assuming we are meddling but as usual from most of your rude posts, you have no clue. Frankly I'm sick of your posts and thankfully I won't have to see them anymore. Buh Bye.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 06-29-2017 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Okay. So this is a pet peeve of mine.

I work for a school, and everyday see parents circumventing the rules. Is this what you want to teach your children? That it's okay not to follow some rules simply because you don't agree with them? This is where the "special snowflake" mentality of some (I refuse to generalize) millennials started from - their parents. "I don't like this rule, so I'm just not gonna follow it."

One example of what I see everyday - We have a crosswalk in our parking lot. At arrival and dismissal times, some (not all) parents will walk their children across the lot in random places instead of using the crosswalk. Some even ignore the crossing guard's instruction and will just walk out in front of vehicles driving slowly through the parking lot because they just know the driver will stop (and they do). I guess they don't realize that some other parents think the "No cell phone use while driving through the school parking lot" rule doesn't apply to them.

But these parents are teaching their children it's okay to walk out into the parking lot, not in a designated crosswalk, with moving traffic and ignore someone telling you to stop so that cars can pass through.

School rules are typically for the good of the whole. You may not be privy to all of the reasons as to why this might be a good rule. (It's not smart to jump to conclusions such as they want "Girls to be like boys") And while you may not agree with those reasons, teach your children (or grandchildren) that even if they don't agree with the rule or understand why this or that is a rule, they still need to follow the rules.

And once they have an understanding of why a rule is in place, and they feel strongly enough to protest that rule, there is a proper way of going about it.

My post was tongue in cheek. I'm not actually going to do that.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Do not distract? Like with flashing lights and music?

To the OP, the songs are nothing new-separation of church and state.

When did this start? It wasn't like this when I went to school OR when my kids went to school in the late 80's, early 90's. I have no problem with a Christmas (winter) pageant including songs from all religions. As for the separation of church and state: I think some of you need to look up the original intention of this. Like many things in government it has been twisted to fit into the PC agenda. And while you're looking that up, look up welfare and how our founding fathers believed it was up to the church and neighbors to help out the less fortunate, NOT the government. Man has THAT been twisted. But I digress.

I'm leaving this thread now. My granddaughter doesn't want to change schools and we're certainly not going to force her over the pants issue. I don't like it but unless she was old enough to choose to pick this battle, I'm going to let it be. I still intend to talk to the school about it because, maybe they have a good reason that I'm not aware of. I am a reasonable person despite what some of you may think.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Taking the OP's post in its entirety paints a picture of a PC centered public school. Government likes to control. Leftists understand the importance of catching us when we're young. Little wonder they so oppose school choice. And we allow them to capture the minds of our children.
The school in question is a choice school. It's a charter. You wouldn't see this stuff in a public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education