Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times

Advertisements

I have read the link and have ensured that I am fully informed when it comes to an argument regarding sacred and secular music in schools. You are right, it isn't simple. However, as a music educator, in order to provide the best music education for my students, sacred music must be included. I ensure that we do not study it for a biblical reason, but as a historical musical artifact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,566 times
For the record, Christmas was NOT a religious holiday originally and was in fact far from it.

The Church claimed it late in the game but the whole thing, the trees, lights, reindeer, presents, Santa/Father Christmas.... all of pagan origin. Jesus himself was a practicing Jew who was more likely to have been observing Hannukah.

Its a little hilarious to see people getting all bent out of shape because its not being celebrated in a religious enough fashion and doesn't include enough of the Jewish Rabbi for some.

Laughably ironic actually.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
For the record, Christmas was NOT a religious holiday originally and was in fact far from it.

The Church claimed it late in the game but the whole thing, the trees, lights, reindeer, presents, Santa/Father Christmas.... all of pagan origin. Jesus himself was a practicing Jew who was more likely to have been observing Hannukah.

Its a little hilarious to see people getting all bent out of shape because its not being celebrated in a religious enough fashion and doesn't include enough of the Jewish Rabbi for some.

A little early in the year to bring up this annual meme, isn't it? Actually, the holiday we know as Christmas has always been a religious holiday. Did the Christians take some customs from the cultures around them for their celebration of the birth of Christ? Why yes, just like all cultures have done for forever.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:

Shhh....don't ruin their lives!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory. My granddaughter has been allowed to wear shorts, skorts, pants and skirts ever since starting there in kindergarten. Now the new handbook is saying that girls in the 3rd grade and up have to wear only pants. We are not too happy about this and neither is she. She hates wearing pants, doesn't even wear jeans. Why can't girls dress like girls? Why does she have to wear what the boys wear? Why can't she wear a jumper or a skirt just above the knee? Is this school (public charter school) trying to push some unisex agenda on the kids?

They also don't allow any type of religious songs in the Christmas show. Nothing but secular songs. I have sent an email to the school and am tempted to just send her to school in a jumper or skirt on the first day and see what happens. We are considering changing schools and are checking into the cost of a private school now. It's been a long time since I went to public school but I'm shocked at the changes. She was talking about her church event to one of the other kids and another one nearby chimed in saying we are not supposed to talk about the Lord. What the hell has happened in our schools? God is out, PC is in?

To those of you with girls would this bother you? Try and keep it civil folks. I'm not interested in comments about special snowflakes, etc. Notice I said we are talking about pulling her out of that school so you don't need to tell me to "just take her out".
The fact that pants are mandatory only for 3rd grade girls and up is an important clue, don't you think? If you follow European news at all ---- It looks like we are beginning to follow policies from many European schools where most of Western fashion is considered too revealing and is blamed for the recent increase in sexual assaults and harrassment.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A little early in the year to bring up this annual meme, isn't it? Actually, the holiday we know as Christmas has always been a religious holiday. Did the Christians take some customs from the cultures around them for their celebration of the birth of Christ? Why yes, just like all cultures have done for forever.
I have no issue with adopting customs from others to embellish your own. As long as you acknowledge the adoption and not act like your way of doing things is the only way when you borrowed the way you do things to begin with.

PS:- Most non- European cultures haven't had to do much borrowing. Not in the way Euro-Christians have had to because they've passed down their traditions for eons with no real break in that process.(At least until colonialism murkied those waters...another christian trait... go forth and conquer in the name of the peaceful Christ )

Kids should learn about all about it in a history class or at church. IMHO a holiday concert that has a little of everyone's version of winter holiday is more educational. Probably wouldn't fly in most places though.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Would you be any happier if the boys had to wear tan pants and a navy shirt and the girls had to wear tan skirts and navy shirts?

Too bad if the kid doesn't like it. She's a kid. If she went to a private school and had to wear, oh I don't know, plaid, and she didn't like plaid, would that be a big deal, too?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I have no issue with adopting customs from others to embellish your own. As long as you acknowledge the adoption and not act like your way of doing things is the only way when you borrowed the way you do things to begin with.

PS:- Most non- European cultures haven't had to do much borrowing. Not in the way Euro-Christians have had to because they've passed down their traditions for eons with no real break in that process.(At least until colonialism murkied those waters...another christian trait... go forth and conquer in the name of the peaceful Christ )

Kids should learn about all about it in a history class or at church. IMHO a holiday concert that has a little of everyone's version of winter holiday is more educational. Probably wouldn't fly in most places though.
Blah, blah, blah!

Maybe you should read the whole thread instead of parahuting in at post #222. Many people have posted that the bold is what is done in their schools.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Blah, blah, blah!

Maybe you should read the whole thread instead of parahuting in at post #222. Many people have posted that the bold is what is done in their schools.
I'm stating my opinion. You don't have to like it and certainly dont care if you don't. And i also don't have to read anything, not sure why you keep directing people to do that like that will change their opinions.

Real mature response...hope you arent 'educating' anyone anymore.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Call the school and ask why the school is instituting the policy. It may be because they are trying to ensure that the girls can participate fully in physical education requirements, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education